“Relaxing Getaway”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Orlando, Florida
“Relaxing Getaway”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Our room was very spacious and we had a corner window with an ocean view. We enjoyed the warm mineral pool and could walk directly across the street to the beach. We took a 10 minute walk to the famous Flagler Beach Pier and some fantastic restaurants are on the way. We loved that a hospitality hour and a fantastic breakfast is included. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Would recommend ocean view rooms
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Palm Bay, Florida
Reviewed January 16, 2014

From the moment we checked in, to the time of our departure was truly amazing. We stayed two nights, which included breakfast each morning (kudos to the cook!) and experienced the Couples Spa Package which included a couples Swedish Massage, lunch in the main house, use of the heated mineral pool (100 degrees!) and a couples spa pedicure complete with fresh fruit and a bottle of champagne. Our room was spacious, extremely clean, romantic (a large Jacuzzi tub, soothing bath salts, and candles) and tranquil. Our french doors opened onto a patio which then connected to the pool deck. Each morning we were able to just cross the street to sit on the beach to watch the sunrise and variety of local nightlife was great.

The staff at the White Orchid was outstanding. They ensured every need was met and they were extremely knowledgeable about the area's history, local dining options and points of interest. Everyone was friendly and inviting. The spa staff was professional and the house staff went above and beyond to make our getaway perfect. My husband and I plan on making our stay at the White Orchid Inn an annual getaway.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Maryland, USA
Reviewed January 2, 2014

A New Year's getaway with 2 nights and lots of Spa-time. The most important item to note is the amazing staff. It was a fantastic combination of efficiency along with being extremely accommodating, meeting all of our needs.
We had scheduled Spa treatments prior to the "official" check-in time of 3:00 PM. This was not an issue and our room was available ahead of time so it made things that much easier. Relaxing in the main room or outside is super if you don't want to go out and about. Otherwise, a short walk across the street to the beach (down the steps) or next door to the Beanery is available.

Again, the staff is awesome, both at the Inn and at the Spa. They were very attentive the entire stay.

Park the car and leave it.

Evening Social time with the other guests is accented by some very well done cracker/chees/dip plate and adult beverages (the initial drink is on the house...anything after that is billed). Everything is quite fresh, made right there in the kitchen. Not super-complex but quite delicious. This is a great way to start the evening...followed by a very short walk up to Flagler Beach for restaurants and dinner. (the staff is great for making recommendations...I liked how they promote the local businesses...)

Morning breakfast is absolutely delicious. Omelets to order, quiche and sweet breads (with a very tasty spread). Service is quick, and again it is a great time to chat with the other guests. Seating is in the main house and begins at 8:30 AM, early enough to have a lot of day left, but late enough to not have to stir too early. A great view looking out toward the water.

The Spa is great. Right next door and offers a great variety of treatments. We took full advantage, and even added a few things at the last moment. Staff is very professional, attentive and knowledgeable concerning the various treatments.

The grounds of the Inn provide a few different items as well. There is a main swimming pool (too chilly to enter at the time) as well as a heated, mineral-salt pool which we too full advantage of. There are also plenty of places in front and in back to sit and enjoy the day. The Inn also has bicycles that can be borrowed if you want to take a trip along the beach or down toward town.

The room was quite comfortable. We stayed the Orient Suite, which has a separate sitting room and bedroom with a jack-and-jill bath between the two rooms. The bed was comfortable with crisp sheets and plenty of pillows for us. There is also a mini-fridge with small bottled water (replaced daily). Towels were plentiful and there are even beach towels provided for your use. Housekeeping staff is quick in and out with the room being made-up while we were at breakfast. I enjoyed having the separate sitting room so if one of you is an early riser, you can go into the other room to quietly read or check emails (there is free Wifi in the main house...not sure how good the connectivity is in the other buildings) There is also a futon-couch in the sitting room so if you needed a spot for extra people it would be available.

Flagler Beach is a nice quiet spot along the Florida coast. Initially we had planned some outings, but decided to simply stay close-by and relax more than travel. A good choice I believe.

So in summary...it was an Excellent stay for both of us and we hope to make a return trip some time in the future.

Some details:
The Inn and Spa are not what you would call inexpensive. But I still believe it was a great value. The customer service, friendly staff, great food and overall atmosphere make it worth it.

The building and grounds are a bit worn, as the structure is older. ABSOLUTELY no issues for us, we loved it, but if you are not used to the quirkiness of B&B stays........

Highly recommend the stay. I can't say enough about how the staff and owners really are super folks.

Room Tip: The three main house rooms have great views of the ocean across A1A. It is also easy to walk up or...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chris A
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I stayed here the third week in November. The owners were very nice and the cleanliness is beyond reproach. Kudos to the housekeeping staff! It has a great location just across A1A from the beach. They served breakfast every morning and it was delicious. the only reason i am not giving it five stars is because the wifi is weak unless you are staying in the main building. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank John P
Webster, Florida
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Since I’ve never stayed in a B&B-type place of this sort before, I can’t truly compare it. I can only speak of my experience here. Also, I didn’t use the spa facilities, so I can’t say anything about that.
I stayed for three nights in the “Room to Relax”, which, I believe is one of the smallest rooms, but the size was perfect for me, since I was by myself.
The White Orchid Inn is an extremely clean and spacious facility, with an “Old Florida” feel to it. The décor is MEANT to give you the feeling of being in someone’s Florida home from the past. For example, my parents built our home in 1963, and the tile in the hall bathroom is of a color that was popular then, but is no longer available. (When my mother tried to replace one broken tile a few years ago, she had no luck finding a match.) Well, although the tile in the bathroom of the “Room to Relax” is white, the color of the walls almost PERFECTLY matches the tile that I saw everyday of my youth. Many things in this room, and in the Common Room of the Main Building, sent me back in time to my childhood home, or to the homes of my Grandmothers. That was pretty darn cool. :-)
As for previous reviewers who complained about mildew… You know what? This is FLORIDA. We fight humidity 24/7, especially this close to the water. There WILL be mildew stains in white grout. Get over yourselves.
The air conditioning in this room works perfectly! It cools the room down very quickly, and, you have two ceiling fans as well. There are several outlets for all of your charging needs. There is also a blow-dryer, iron, ironing board, two large beach towels in the closet, and a small fridge with two bottles of water in it. You also have two extra glasses (in addition to the two in the bathroom) sitting on top of the fridge, with a corkscrew and a box of matches for the scented candles in the room.
I REALLY love the bathroom in this room. The walk-in shower is very roomy (no curtain needed), and the water pressure is nice. The counter-top is generously high, the toilet is in a small room to itself, with a pocket door. There is a pocket door for the entire bathroom as well.
The Inn provides beach chairs, which are great to take across to the beach just before sunrise, sit back and relax, and watch the sun come up in quiet reflection. There is beach access RIGHT AT this inn. The Flagler Beach Pier is within walking distance of the inn. You essentially have your own private beach. The Inn also provides two fat-tire bikes for guest use. The sidewalk that runs the length of A1A in front of the Inn is great for biking!
My room had a nice-sized fridge, and a 19” tube TV. If you want a coffee-maker in your room, you will need to request it before 6:00 p.m. There is no microwave in this room, which was a small inconvenience to me when I had a huge early dinner with friends, but had to give away my doggy-bag to my friend’s husband, because I realized that I wouldn’t be able to heat it up and enjoy it later that evening. (This is where I should point out that the Common Room {lobby/kitchen} is closed to all of the guests in the two back buildings from 6:00 p.m. until 8:30 a.m. During those hours, it becomes the exclusive living room space ONLY of the guests in the three Main Building rooms. So, I guess if I had been in one of those rooms, I could have heated up my leftovers(?).)
As I came in from watching the sunrise around 7:00 a.m. my first two mornings, I saw people returning in their cars from the 7-Eleven (1/3 mile from the inn), with cups of coffee, or from the Burger King and McDonald’s (4 miles from the inn), with a very small breakfast, to hold them over until the Inn serves breakfast (from 8:30 to 10:30). I did that on my third morning.
The layout of this room is such that you can’t see the 19” TV if you are sitting at the table, due to the bathroom wall jutting out. You are also about 10’ from the TV, if you are sitting on the inside end of the futon, which is a bit far to view a 19” TV (IMHO). Another guest told me that there was a large flat-screen in their room, but this room has a smaller tube TV. I ended up moving the table over to the space between the bed and the dresser where the TV sits, on my last night, so that I could work on my laptop WHILE watching TV (can’t miss The Walking Dead!!!). You can also bring in the two chairs assigned to you from the balcony, if you don’t like sitting up in the bed to watch TV. The TV provides Bright House Cable, and includes all of the HBO channels.
Speaking of the balcony… it is really wide and generous. And I can see the water quite well from my end of the balcony. The only (very small) issue I had with the balcony was that the light stayed on all night, and the wooden blinds on the double glass doors of this room are not able to block out that light completely. That MIGHT be an issue for people who prefer complete darkness when they sleep. Speaking of sleeping… although the bed was a bit harder than my back can handle (seems to me like hotel beds are like slabs of rock, as a general rule), the sheets are soft, soft, SOFT!!! Felt so good!!! The pillows are the standard type that most hotels have. The colors all match up with the soft, natural décor of the room, which is blue, turquoise, and tan. Berber carpet. Very relaxing.
Speaking of bedrooms, I got a chance to see all three rooms in the main building, and the bedroom part of the Orient Room would be TOTALLY DARK for sleeping. Very nice. :-) I walked in there, and didn't want to leave. lol If I ever get a chance to come back, I’d like to shoot for that room.
I didn’t try breakfast my first morning, because my friend took me down to Oceanside Restaurant . But on mornings two and three, I was able to enjoy the amazing breakfasts! They don’t offer just one specialty… No. You can choose from three or four quiches (including a vegetarian quiche), omelettes of various kinds, sausage gravy and biscuits with cheesey scrambled eggs. She had me at “sausage gravy with biscuits”. They also have three different kinds of breads (like banana bread), with a home-made cream cheese spread… delish. :-) Fresh fruits. Three different kinds of juices. Regular and decaf coffee. Two different kinds of cream or milk, and hot tea. On my final morning, I had an omelette with EVERYTHING, and it was fabulous!
I was here mainly to spend time with my friend, and therefore, wasn’t around to use the spa, or mingle with other guests during the Social Hour (3:30 – 5:00 p.m.) in the Common Room. However, the other guests that I ran into when I came up to my room the first night, and when I came in from my second sunrise visit to the beach, were very friendly, and I had some nice chats with them. Here is a run-down of my contact with the staff… Bob (the owner) checked me in. One of the other guests introduced me to the woman who takes care of our rooms (I believe her name is Carol), and she was extremely sweet. :-) I loved the fact that Carol takes care of spiffing up your room while you are at breakfast. I also got a chance to chat with Shelly, the woman who makes the wonderful breakfasts, and she was also very pleasant to chat with. And lastly, Tracy was in the Common Room while I had breakfast on my final morning, and she was also friendly and pleasant. Keep in mind that, at that time of the day, they are working to keep breakfast flowing smoothly, and don’t really have time to chat. I got there near the tail-end of breakfast that third morning, when there was just a touch more freedom to visit with the guests.
Regarding the restaurants in the area… Blue is about a block down A1A. I had dinner there my first night. I took the table that they first offered me, which was immediately to the left of the door, but I wish I had known about the inner room with the fireplace… I just didn’t notice it when I walked in. I felt like “Baby” being put in the corner, like from the movie Dirty Dancing. Noisy, busy, and I also noticed a lot of people being seated there, then asking to be moved to that inner room. What I ordered was good, but it seemed like the menu was just a bit limited, and pricey. On Day 2, I tried the Oceanside Restaurant (just a short distance south on A1A), and the Flagler Fish Company. I HIGHLY recommend both of those places! More casual and friendly, and a LOT more choices on the menus!!!)
In conclusion, keeping in mind the few, minor inconveniences, I’d highly recommend the White Orchid Inn. :-)

Room Tip: One of the three main rooms will give you 24/7 access to the Common Room.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank sanka61
Florida
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We are never disappointed when we stay here. The location, the atmosphere, the staff, all make this the perfect weekend retreat. It is our special occasion indulgence. This year it was our anniversary, thank you Bob, Karen and the entire staff for making it another special escape.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main house or near the mineral pool are the most private.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

Rooms super clean and large. Beautiful pools and spa area. Exceptional beach view across A1A.
Great selection for seat down complimentary 5* bfast. Staff friendly and more than accommidating. It is the best Flagler Beach has to offer.
Don't miss this little gem for a quick get away.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
#5 of 12 in Flagler Beach
Flagler Beach Motel
Flagler Beach Motel
#4 of 12 in Flagler Beach

Been to The White Orchid Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!