“Corn dog lobster” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of 29 South Eats

29 South Eats
Reserve with OpenTable
29 South Eats is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Ash
Falls Church, Virginia
“Corn dog lobster”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

Loved the tapas sized plates. Fried green tomatoes and salad with the corn dog lobster was just the right amount of really good food. Loved the champagne honey salad dressing.

Orlando, Florida
“Southern food at its best”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

What charming restaurant like being in a southern home. Food is southern had the fried green tomatoes stuffed with goat cheese followed by shrimp and grits delish!! Hubby had the pork chop and loved it. for dessert had the coffee and donuts yummo coffee ice cream with a donut with custard bread pudding.

Georgia
“Food pretty good - service was almost snippy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I had dinner tonight.
Atmosphere: We were seated outside on the porch as this was the only reservation we could get even though we called three days ahead. I noticed there were multiple tables inside that were empty the entire time we dined. Being outside - our drinks became watered down very quickly, and there were little sugar ants crawling on the table, the porch next to the table and on us. It was difficult to have a romantic evening when we were constantly swatting away bugs. I also felt very sorry for a large group that was seated on the patio with no covering even though it was starting to rain. The staff didn't seem bothered at all that the customers were getting wet - just kept saying the empty tables were for reserved guests.

Food: fried green tomatoes were awful! They basically had no taste - no seasoning whatsoever. However, our salads and entrees were delicious. I had shrimp and grits, and my husband has a pork tenderloins special. Both of us enjoyed them.

Staff: I got a bad taste in my mouth when I originally called to make a reservation. I was told they were booked that night, and I make a reservation for another evening. Being from out of town, I asked the hostess of she could recommend another restaurant to get a good steak that night. She asked a co-worker who replied, "ha - without a reservation - how about the Huddle House?" Granted - maybe he was trying to be funny, but I felt it was rude and demeaning to a potential customer. During our dinner, our waitress was fairly attentive until the end. She literally didn't check on us for over 20 minutes. When I finally saw her and asked for the check, she seemed defensive that I was a bit irritated. Gee - we now have a few sugar ants floating in our water glasses - yeah - it would have been nice to have had something to drink!

So - overall, the food was good. I would try the restaurant again, but only if I was guaranteed an inside seat.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank luvtoteach678
Jacksonville, Florida
“The only place to eat in Fernandina”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

I discovered this place about a year ago and make a point of eating there often. Simply put, I drive 40 miles to eat there. Keep up the great work Scotty and Brett!

Visited June 2014
Hobe Sound, Florida
“Great mixing of fine traditional and innovative cuisine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

Went here for lunch when visiting beautiful Amelia Island.The restaurants is situated right in the historic downtown, right across from the historic old Florida Inn. Most folks sit outside on the porch in good weather , as we did.
among several good offerings, we enjoyed a nice salad garnished with smoked trout. But the real hit were the green tomatoes, crisp-fried in corn meal and stuffed with goat cheese-and that just an appetizer! The wine list is decent, with some nice selections from small, boutique wineries. This place is very busy, even here in off season; parking can also be difficult at times. Service is attentive and cordial.

• Visited June 2014