“Happiness at the Happy Tomato!”
Review of Happy Tomato Cafe

Happy Tomato Cafe
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Takeout
Tennessee
“Happiness at the Happy Tomato!”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Our first visit to Amelia Island was made even happier because of the delicious lunch we enjoyed at the Happy Tomato. The menu offers a lot of tempting items, so choosing wasn't easy, but my husband decided on the pulled pork sandwich, and I got the trio salad (pimento cheese, chicken salad, and tunafish salad). Eating in the lovely courtyard filled with umbrella tables and vine-covered walls, we relaxed after a busy morning walking at Little Talbot State Park and thoroughly enjoyed our meal. Southerners are particular about bbq, pimento cheese, and chicken salad, and we regard the Happy Tomato's among the best. Friendly service, tasty food, reasonable prices, and charming atmosphere help make this a spot you don't want to miss.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank jblwright

New Jersey
“A terrific little gem in beautiful Fernandina's historic section.”
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

The Happy Tomato is a tiny BBQ shack set back off the road on 3rd St. Choices include pulled pork, pulled turkey breast, ribs, chicken, chicken salad, pimento cheese, etc. They are only open until 5:00 pm so we went for lunch. Since we already had dinner reservations for that night, we decided to split a pulled turkey platter with two sides of cole slaw. The turkey was the most tender, moist, and juicy turkey I have ever had, and the slaw was excellent. You get to choose the BBQ sauce, and we went with "spicy," which had a kick, but not too much of one. Service was friendly, warm, and prompt. No wonder the locals love it.

Saint Charles, Missouri
“Great lunch!”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Wife and I were walking around the historic district and stopped here for lunch. The food was great - pulled pork sandwich with spicy bbq sauce for me and a veggie sandwich for my wife. Both were very tasty! And the staff was super friendly. Very cool atmosphere. Check it out!!!

Charleston, South Carolina
“The Pimento Cheese is Incredible”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

First off, they can close as early as they want, so make sure you go early enough if you really want to experience it. It says (Until 5:30ish) and we got there at 4:05. They served us and then closed.

But we're really glad they did serve us, because it was fantastic! I got "The Max" which is a pulled pork sandwich with Pimento Cheese. It was awesome. I asked about the cheese later and was told it was made fresh in the back!
My wife got a chicken salad sandwich which was also top notch.

The atmosphere is also great. It's in a wonderful little courtyard which is perfect for relaxing and soaking up the island weather.
Perfect place for lunch!

• Visited March 2013
Colorado/Amelia Island, Fla
“I love this place-dog friendly.”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

It has great sandwiches, cold beer and a friendly smile....named Esmeralda. My dogs are welcomed on their outside deck.

Visited March 2013