“The Max!!!”

Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Takeout
“The Max!!!”
Reviewed August 21, 2011

I live in Atlantic Beach, Florida and when my parents came down to visit we took them to Fernandina. I came on my mobile trip advisor to look for something good but not pricy. This place was #6 at the time so we tried it. #6 is way too low. I got the Max which is pulled pork with pimento cheese on it. Also they gave me a choice of spicy, sweet, or mustard. I went with sweet. The Max was huge and I ate every bite because it would have been a crime not to. My wife got the turkey which was equally good and my father got the regular pulled pork. Everything was amazing. I was skeptical because most of the seats are outside and it was August in Florida! They had umbrellas and fans so I barely noticed the heat. I will go back to this place as often as I can. They also have non-BBQ options but I cannot speak to the quality of them. The BBQ was awesome and the pimento cheese was obviously homemade. Just go!

Waycross, Georgia
“home of the huge sandwich”
Reviewed July 31, 2011

sandwiches are huge and real good. wish they had some kind of inside dining but i guess thats why the sandwiches are so good. They do have a shady area with plenty of fans a blowing.

Visited July 2011
Los Angeles, California
“Yummo”
Reviewed July 21, 2011

We were on the fence about eating here because it is courtyard seating and quite hot. Glad that we did, excellent shrimp salad, unusual yet delish chicken salad. Our son enjoyed his monster club sandwich. Skip the pulled smoked turkey sandwich unless you get fork and knife as the pieces are not chopped at all.

Fernandina Beach, Florida
“Should you order Chicken Salad at a BBQ place? YES!”
Reviewed July 17, 2011

I live in town and when family visits we always take them to Happy Tomato. This past week, my sisters and I all ordered the chicken salad. It is the best! My sister was pleasantly surprised by the fruit in the salad. We had a huge helping served on the best 12 grain bread and croissant. Thoroughly enjoyed the cole slaw and potato salad we ordered as our sides. I also MUST mention that the guys working there are just awesome! To me, the people working at a restaurant are as important as the food served. We always have fast and very friendly service. They always make us feel special, which is a fun part of dining out. Thanks for another great visit!

St. Augustine, Florida
“Simply said.... The perfect spot for lunch!”
Reviewed July 17, 2011

We popped into Fernandina Beach for a quick look around before continuing on to Savannah. While enjoying the quaint town, we ran across this hidden jewel, and what a find it was! The perfect spot for a casual, delicious and simple lunch. My sandwich "The Monster" was terrific and truly lived up to it's name. It was not just a monster sized sandwich, but a monster value. Service was friendly and quick, the courtyard and deck areas quiet and charming. Truly the quintessential courtyard cafe experience. My only contstructive suggestion to the ownership would be to fill that courtyard with potted vegitation and flowers (maybe some on the tables too). It would be an eyepopper!