“Real BBQ”

Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Description: Sonny's BBQ offers a variety of barbeque meats, including St. Louis Cut Ribs and Sonny's Signature Baby Backs, Pulled Beef Brisket, Pulled and Sliced Pork, Sliced Turkey, and Chicken, all smoked slowly over a hardwood fire. Today, with 126 restaurants in nine southeastern states, Sonny's BBQ is one of the largest, most popular barbeque chains in the country. Our secret? We cook it up slow and serve it up fast and friendly.
Frankfort, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Real BBQ”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Doesn't look like much, but food was great! Great sweet tea. I loved the smokin hot sauce. The salad bar looked good, but we didn't get it. Cornbread excellent!

Visited April 2013

Georgia
“All you can eat ribs....”
Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

The ribs were big and juicy. They were cooked to perfection. The pulled chicken was tender and delicious. We were there on a Friday night so it was busy and the service a bit slow but the waitress was running the entire time. Definitely delicious.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Victoria1010
Central Florida
“Ribs that I really liked”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Because spare ribs are so hit and miss, I've quit ordering them at restaurants. However, tonight at Sonny's I tried their St. Louis Spare Ribs along with 2 sides and garlic bread. The ribs were excellent in every way. They had tons of flavor, though only 5 short spare ribs, they were loaded with pork meat. Let me put in a disclaimer at this point. It almost seems to me that many places now think you want the meat to "just fall off the bone" when you are eating them. I don't care for my ribs that way and to me indicate short cuts not slow cooking the ribs. So in that light, these ribs, took some effort to eat the meat from the ribs. Again, I thought them excellent in every way. Their mac and cheese, was tasty and creamy and delicious. The broccoli, so-so. The garlic bread too was excellent. I did get good service, but it got very crowded on this Friday night, and some of the other customers of my server were quite demanding of her time. All in all, I would come back with no hesitation.

• Visited March 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
“Excellent barbecue and good salad bar.”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Love Sonny's barbecue. Their brisket is delicious. Great service and value. Can go lighter with salad fare if wanted. Easy, casual and fast.

• Visited January 2013
Fernandina Beach, Florida
“Not all Sonny's are created equal”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We've been to numerous Sonny's locations and, as with most chain restaurants, there are typically few surprises. This location is the nearest to our home, so it's the one we visit most often. Perhaps in part due to this larger "sample size," we've been disappointed more often here than all the others combined. Specifically, regardless of mealtime, and whether they're crowded or not, we've found the odds of getting dried-out pork--either sliced or pulled--are at least 1 out of every 2 visits to this Sonny's, as compared with perhaps 1 out of 5 at any other. Yes, they'll happily replace it with the same or another offering, but we find it's a drag having to do so 50% of the time and it's a surprise to us to find the pork BBQ to be the weakest offering at a BBQ restaurant. To be fair, we've found most other offerings to be more reliably good and the staff here always pleasant.

• Visited January 2013