“Ribs that I really liked”
Review of Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q - CLOSED

Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Description: Sonny's BBQ offers a variety of barbeque meats, including St. Louis Cut Ribs and Sonny's Signature Baby Backs, Pulled Beef Brisket, Pulled and Sliced Pork, Sliced Turkey, and Chicken, all smoked slowly over a hardwood fire. Today, with 126 restaurants in nine southeastern states, Sonny's BBQ is one of the largest, most popular barbeque chains in the country. Our secret? We cook it up slow and serve it up fast and friendly.
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Because spare ribs are so hit and miss, I've quit ordering them at restaurants. However, tonight at Sonny's I tried their St. Louis Spare Ribs along with 2 sides and garlic bread. The ribs were excellent in every way. They had tons of flavor, though only 5 short spare ribs, they were loaded with pork meat. Let me put in a disclaimer at this point. It almost seems to me that many places now think you want the meat to "just fall off the bone" when you are eating them. I don't care for my ribs that way and to me indicate short cuts not slow cooking the ribs. So in that light, these ribs, took some effort to eat the meat from the ribs. Again, I thought them excellent in every way. Their mac and cheese, was tasty and creamy and delicious. The broccoli, so-so. The garlic bread too was excellent. I did get good service, but it got very crowded on this Friday night, and some of the other customers of my server were quite demanding of her time. All in all, I would come back with no hesitation.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Love Sonny's barbecue. Their brisket is delicious. Great service and value. Can go lighter with salad fare if wanted. Easy, casual and fast.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

We've been to numerous Sonny's locations and, as with most chain restaurants, there are typically few surprises. This location is the nearest to our home, so it's the one we visit most often. Perhaps in part due to this larger "sample size," we've been disappointed more often here than all the others combined. Specifically, regardless of mealtime, and whether they're crowded or not, we've found the odds of getting dried-out pork--either sliced or pulled--are at least 1 out of every 2 visits to this Sonny's, as compared with perhaps 1 out of 5 at any other. Yes, they'll happily replace it with the same or another offering, but we find it's a drag having to do so 50% of the time and it's a surprise to us to find the pork BBQ to be the weakest offering at a BBQ restaurant. To be fair, we've found most other offerings to be more reliably good and the staff here always pleasant.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

I had been skeptical to try Sonny's, but sometimes you can be pleasantly surprised.... However mostly low points for my first and probably last Sonny's experience. Interior of this restaurant screamed 1980's dive found off a barren mid-west highway. Fried Okra was okay. Meal came almost immediately after like it had been waiting on the line all day. Ribs were disappointing. Dry and chewy. Not the fall off the bone, tender juicy meat you really want and crave for a BBQ experience. Beans were decently sweet and savory with chunks of meat. Corn bread a touch on the dry side. Sweet potato with maple butter was probably the best part of the meal. Maybe it was an off day, but food overall was not appetizing nor fresh. Our waiter Matthew receives points for being so polite and gave me a brand new plate to take home. Unfortunately the second plate of ribs was not much better.

I recommend that staff, even if they work in a kitchen pull their pants up over their rear even if it's covered by a huge baggy shirt, especially if they're going to come out to the dining room.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

One of our favorate take out places. Yes it is a chain but a good example of why they are so successful. Not fancy inside but clean with the usual selections prepared well and nicely served. Very good place!