“Disappointing”

Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: A1A Highway
Description: PLAE Restaurant is Amelia Island's premier dining establishment. Our menu blends eclectic cuisine with artful presentation. Exceptional food and service in a contemporary setting, make this restaurant a must see on your dining agenda.
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Our meal was simply nothing special. We ordered crab bisque and french onion soup to start. The bisque was only slightly warm, had only a small amount of crab with some unknown, uncooked, tasteless veggies. I honestly couldn't identify them and the soup hadn't simmered long enough to allow the flavors to develop.
The onion soup was average, but wasn't anything that couldn't be purchased at a typical chain restaurant.
My main course was the shrimp with jasmine rice and again, nothing special and nothing better than a run of the mill chain restaurant.
My daughter ordered the filet and barely touched it. I tried it and if had little flavor.
I'm confused by the high ratings received here. The food here is far from upscale, nothing special and there is also a bad odor in the restaurant, more noticable in the front. The waitress was nice enough though.
Bottom line, it really falls close to a "poor" rating but not quite so I gave it average. I would never return.

1  Thank viviane730

Reviewed June 9, 2013

We chose this restaurant due to staying at the Omni..so glad we did! As another reviewer pointed out the restaurant is dimly lit but our eyes quickly adjusted and it was quite romantic. Wine list was not extensive but had a nice selection. The bread was very different and quite tasty..raw oysters were fresh and the shrimp over jasmine rice was perfect..spicy Asian flare. My husband selected the chefs fish special and he was quite pleased. Overall a wonderful experience..would have given it 5stars but service a tad slow and waitress not extremely knowledgable about wine list or menu.
Would recommend highly especially if you are a guest at the Omni!

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Our service was super slow - the waitress would disappear for large chuncks of time, to the point others would have to cover for her. Yet the table next to us seemed to have a very attentive waitress. Appetizer was excellent. We ordered the filet cooked medium and it came out very rare. Took 5 minutes to get waitress back to ask to cook steak more. Then the waitress just broought it back, dropped it and kept going without a word. Steak was still too rare - we just ate it. They had about a dozen items offered for desert. We ordered one and it was horrible. maybe just offer a few and do a better job. This is just not how a high end (expensive) restaurant is supposed to work.

2  Thank TheWayItIsJP
Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

This isn't a bad restaurant, my husband and I ate here because it was highly recommended by a friend. However, I should have reviewed the menu before making the reservation. I'm allergic to seafood and at least 90% of the menu was fish so my options where pretty limited. We both had the beet and arugula salad which was very good. My husband had his with fried goat cheese and he raved about how good it was (I'm also lactose intolerant so I wasn't able to try any). I had the steak with a red wine mushroom sauce, it was very tender and cooked perfectly. My husband had a pork chop served with shrimp and grits (or maybe creamy polenta?) He said it was good, but not as good as the pork chop he gets from our favorite restaurant back home. The restaurant was nice and I liked all the booths, but it was very dark inside. Our waitress was also very sweet and attentive, but it took forever for both the salads and main courses to come out.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Service was top notch. Food was excellent. The menu well thought out and simple. I have food allergies and the wait staff made sure all items were clear of allergens. We love to order several plates of different things to try them out. They allow you to share entrees also. Chef and staff prepared our food to perfection. Some entrees were pricy but most were very reasonable.