“Mixed reviews on Plae” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Plae Restaurant - CLOSED

Plae Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: A1A Highway
Description: PLAE Restaurant is Amelia Island's premier dining establishment. Our menu blends eclectic cuisine with artful presentation. Exceptional food and service in a contemporary setting, make this restaurant a must see on your dining agenda.
“Mixed reviews on Plae”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

My wife and I are visiting Plae for the second time. Last year during our anniversary Sept. 2011 we dinned at Plae and it was wonderful. Our second time last night was not the same experience. Second anniversary Sept 2012, we arrived on a Sat night and were surprised that it was almost empty. We figured off season. My wife ordered the french onion soup, which was great, I ordered the Lobster bisque which tasted and looked like brown gravy! It did however have generous chunks of lobster in it. My wife ordered a chicken plate that was good and she loved it, I ordered the beef short rib and it was so rubbery if could not be chewed. It was almost like they had rewarmed and recooked it five times throughout the week because of low dinning. It was as dry as the Sahara! The waitress was really nice about it, as I was reluctant to send it back (I hate to do that!)
And no lie...as she took it back, my wife about jumped out of her seat as a cockroach crawled by her into the wall (table 45). Of course we didn't way anything as it would probably just look like we were "that unappeasable couple" and the cockroach did disappear into the wall.
Anyway they took my meal off the check. We ordered a dessert because I felt bad for sending something back even though my wife wanted to leave at that point. It was Choc pound cake, it was good.
Just very disappointed in our second visit on our anniversary. Maybe just bad because of the down season?

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

“Always Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

We dine here every visit to Amelia and it is the high point of our dining experience. The Menue is varied and interesting. Some of the entrees are expensive, but worth it. This trip we ate off the lower end of the Menue and salmon and ribs averaging $25. Both were excellent. Ribs were the best I've had. The whole tab including wine and dessert was under $100. The peach bread pudding was yummy.

Douglas, Georgia
“AMAZING, must go!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

This place has awesome food! It is so good. It is located on the plantation so the environment inside and out is superb! If you like extremely good food, and don't mine paying the price for it, then you need to go!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank CM90
Gainesville, Florida
“Excellent service. I wish I could say the same for everything else.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

We came here for an early dinner. We decided to give it another try after a poor meal the last time here.
Food: nothing was outstanding or very memorable. We had a group of four: tuna tartar was obviously premade, not very flavorful and a small portion. Calamari was actually very good. French onion soup average. We also had escargot which was very bland. Two of our party had the portabella burger and the balsamic overwhelmed the entire dish. One of the poorest portabella burgers I've had. Another person had the burger and thought it was okay. I had the spinach salad with duck and there was a piece of Plastic wrap in it. I obviously didn't eat it. Desserts were average.
Service: Excellent . Our server was great and explained all the dishes to us. She also removed the duck salad off the bill once I brought the plastic wrap to her attention.
Atmosphere : well decorated but a strange smell in bar area like stale mildew.
I gave it 3 stars as this is supposed to be apremiere place on Amelia Island. We payed a premiere price but did not get premiere food. There are other places on the island I would go to before returning. I would Rex they lower their prices to match the food , as here you do not get what you pay for

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Jacksonville, Florida
“There were no people laughing and eating...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

I was disappointed with our experience at PLAE... the restaurant name and description is misleading to me... I expected a lively, fun environment and it was quite the opposite. It was quiet and dare I say boring. We could hear the piano player from our table and they played mostly slow songs. The food was nothing special and the menu descriptions did not match up to the order. For instance I ordered the cedar planked salmon with caramelized grits... they were out of the cedar planks so I recieved grilled salmon instead and the grits came as a fried grit cake with these little caramelized onions on top that were not fresh. The salads were boring and for the $10 price tag I expected more than a plate of lettuce with a few raisins and apple slices underneath. The only positive was our server, she was sweet, charming and very attentive!

There are better places to eat near the Plantation... including the Verandah and plenty of options in downtown Fernandina.

• Visited August 2012