“Enjoyed the Pelican!”

The Salty Pelican Bar & Grill
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: A great place for Lunch and Dinner overlooking the Amelia River and a sunset view every night!
Reviewed August 10, 2014

There are some interesting mixed reviews of this place, but we were very happy with our choice to eat at The Salty Pelican. First time to Fernandina, we planned to eat somewhere else based on higher TA ratings, but a local recommended the Pelican and we value local opinions. We were not disappointed! The upstairs open area was busy but we were lucky to get a table closest to the water and the breeze /view was terrific. We ordered and shared Calamari with Banana Peppers (with Sweet n Spicy Chili Sauce), Seared Tuna Nachos (Seared Tuna, Seaweed Salad, Goat Cheese, Wasabi Sesame Seeds), Bacon Mac N Cheese with Shrimp (Bacon, Jalapenos, Smoked Cheddar Cheese) and Fried Buffalo Shrimp Salad (Field Greens, Tomato, Cucumber, Bleu Cheese Crumbles, Onion, Avocado). We appreciated that the Pelican serves LOCAL caught Fernandina shrimp, since Fernandina was once the shrimp capital of the world. We would definitely eat here again!

1  Thank Foodie F

Reviewed August 10, 2014

So this place is pretty much your typical fried bar food, very good, just nothing special. However, we did have the ahi tuna nachos and those were incredible! My mom and I both got the fried shrimp and they were very good not to bready and the batter had a good crunch to it. But I will be back for those nachos, I already told my husband that next time we are in town that we are going here for some beer and tuna nachos. :)
The view of the river from upstairs seems really nice, we didn't sit up there because there were not seats available that were not in the sun. They do have misters on the fans outside so it was cool. It seems that it would be a good place to watch the sunset. All in all it was a good experience and I will likely go back

Reviewed August 9, 2014

1st trip to Amelia, 1st trip to this restaurant. read the reviews and had high hopes! I love seafood,but what a disappointment. I had the crab dip - heavy and dry, still sitting like lead in my stomach! Followed by the fried buffalo salad with shrimp. The shrimp was over cooked and chewy and the salad blah. My husbands dinner fared a bit better.... the server was great and atmosphere good. Just had to wait 30mins on a busy sat nite. Don't think I will be back, sorry.

2  Thank smbarrync
Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

This place has a great location and nice atmosphere. Great service too.
The onion rings are the best ever. So juicy. Oysters on half shell were good. Fried
oysters were done in cornmeal and we're too breaded. Like seafood batter better. Also no hushpuppies or cornbread.

Reviewed August 8, 2014

While spending a few days in the St. Mary's, GA and Amelia Island, FL area we went to Fernandina Beach for an afternoon of shopping and dinner. Happened upon the Salty Pelican and what a treat. Were with our adult daughter/son-in-law and we had an absolutely wonderful meal and drinks. The wait staff was friendly and engaging, managers presented themselves to us checking on service and food and the view most wonderful from the top deck/bar area. We had such a fun time there and would recommend it to anyone looking to enjoy good food in a lovely setting with fun people taking care of you. Will definitely come back.