“Wow!”

Cuisines: Brazilian, Portuguese, Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed October 26, 2012

While driving thru town we decided it was time to eat. So glad we picked Don Quixote ... Friendly service, lots to pick from, excellent cuisine, and priced right. Suggest the dinner for two which really is for three or four.

Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

The BEST of the BEST Tapas in Town! Everything was amazing! Service, Food, & not to forget the Sangria was delicious!

1  Thank Fernanda C
Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

We went to Din Quixote for tapas for a group of 6 plus a child to celebrate two birthdays. The staff made us feel at home. Every tapas we ordered 12 in total were all exceptional. That is a lot of dishes to be perfect on. The waiter an hostess were wonderful. Don't miss eating here.

1  Thank M S
Reviewed October 15, 2012

From the ambiance, to the food/wine and service, all were wonderful! We've been three times, and plan to go again soon.

1  Thank wycanone
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Don Quixotes is a new restaurant in "downtown" Fernandina Beach. The dining area is beautiful and more elegant than most of the other restaurants in this area. Since I lived in Spain for 3 years, and recently toured southern Spain for 2 weeks, my husband and I were anxious to eat there, as where we live in Jacksonville there are no true Spanish restaurants
We invited relatives who live in the area to join us, as they had not dined there yet. It was a Sunday night, and not very crowded. Our waiter was very nice, but the service was extremely slow. We had to ask for water. The bread didn't have much flavor.

Alot of the menu items were not familiar to me, and I was surprised there weren't more typical Spanish dishes to choose from. Churrasco is not Spanish. There were alot of meat dishes, and the menu seemed more Brasilian than Spanish.I ordered 3 tapas- a tortilla (potato and egg omelet), some shrimp in poblano cream sauce, and ceviche. My husband and his step-brother ordered the fish specal and loved it- no "left-overs" for them! It was snapper topped with crab cakes, accompanied by yellow rice and a fresh vegetable. The food was not only tasty but the presentation lovely.

"My" shrimp was tasty and spicy,and I savored every bite. The slice of tortilla was unique, in that the potatoes were sliced, rather than coming in small chunks, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. One dish was very disappointing however.When I tasted the grouper ceviche,( also a pretty presentation) it had a fishy, sour flavor, so I decided to get it "to go". I put it in the frig. as soon as we got home. The next day I tasted it again, and it was awful. The fish was old, and there were no distinguishable flavors of FRESH lemon or lime. It was $11.00 worth of food that I had to throw away. Still have memories of the delicious ceviche we had in Spain, and at Randy Gerber's new restaurant in Malibu called "Habana".That ceviche was so good I dream about it!

For dessert my husband and I split a piece of "tres leches" cake( 3 milks)and it was simply tasteless and dry. Seemed like the chef was "cutting corners" on the ingredients.

I do believe this restaurant is a "gem in the rough". If the ceviche is made with shrimp, small scallops, and/or another firm, white(FRESH) fish, with more acidity, it would be great. The recipe for the Tres Leches cake can be easily modified, and the servers can get more training. We will try Don Quixotes again-since it is new I realize they have to "work out the kinks".