“A gem!”

Amelia Community Theater
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We were on vacation from Atlanta and read about this little theatre here. The tickets were reasonably priced and we were able to reserve them online the day before for a small fee. We ate dinner at Brett's and found the theatre afterwards within minutes. It is a quite nice small venue featuring local art in the lobby and and a larger seating area than we expected. Dress ranged from blue jeans to cocktail attire. The 25th Annual Spelling Bee of Putnam County was a delight from start to finish. All the actors were local of course and quite convincing in their roles. Their singing voices, while not professional, were pleasant and the lyrics clearly understood - which has not always been the case in a couple of Broadway shows we've seen. A pleasant surprise was the enthusiastic participation of four members of the audience chosen to round out the roster of the Spelling Bee. The words they were given to spell and their reactions were priceless and added wonderfully to the hilarity. We found ourselves spelling along under our breaths and scratching our heads with the spellers at some of the toughies. It was an evening that will be cherished with our memories of this exceptional vacation at the Omni Plantation. A couple of notes for the newcomer: 1) Think about choosing seating toward the back rows. The stadium style seating begins below stage level, so those sitting in the first few rows look up a bit to watch the action. Even so, there really is not a bad seat in the house. 2) Finish your wine/beverages in the lobby. Food and drink are not permitted in the theater. 3) Although I must admit I wish I had kept mine, the theatre requests you recycle the play bills as you exit. 4) There is an opportunity to meet the actors in an optional reception line after the show. We loved meeting you in person, Coneybear. We now have “Coneybear moments" at our house... So everyone go, have a glass of wine, then sit back and enjoy. It's a great way to spend an evening at the beach.

3  Thank drf5678
There are newer reviews for Amelia Community Theater

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The " spelling Bee " was hilarious and sweet. We laughed and sang along at one point. I loved the audience participation . The singers were not the best singers I have heard but they were not the worse either but they were easy to listen to. The adlib was awesome too

1  Thank Laura H
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I have season tickets to ACT and I have enjoyed each play that I have seen this year. I really enjoyed "Almost, Maine" this year. The actors were great. "Lend Me a Tenor" was my favorite. Our former mayor played the Society Diva and she was just wonderful. If you are visiting Fernandina during one of the plays you should plan on attending. The theatre is new and the community has supported the building of the new theatre 100%. It is a good example of what we have available in our community with the participation of people who live here.

1  Thank Carol D
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We have season tickets for the 6-play, year-round performances at the Theater. But a single ticket is only $20 if you are just stopping by, and it is well worth it. All community effort, great fun, fabulous play selection (we just saw 'Father of the Bride' and our next one is '25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee'. There's always a special one in December and there are always a few that you haven't heard of, which is a treat as well. Great value, great performances and great entertainment.

1  Thank Susan M
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Beautiful theater and high quality performances. They offer a variety of shows including musicals. There is a camp for kids in the summer.

2  Thank Pochlady