“Nothing bad but nothing great either”

Amelia Hotel at the Beach
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Fernandina Beach
Virginia
“Nothing bad but nothing great either”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I stayed 2 nights at the Amelia Hotel at the Beach with my 2 teenage sons. We went to the beach and explored the local area.

I made sure to reserve a room with a balcony--at the cost of $180/night--so we would have a bit more room to spread out in the room and also enjoy a view of the beach. If you are thinking of a balcony as a light, airy outdoor space to enjoy a breath of fresh, salty air, you will be disappointed. The balcony was tiny, with a solid wall that reached my chest, so I was able to peek over the wall, but it certainly did not provide a sense of being outdoors. The window air conditioning unit spews noisy hot exhaust onto your legs as you take in the view...and scent...and noise...of the greasy restaurant dumpster area across the street. Yes, you may catch a peek-a-boo view of the ocean between buildings. Between the noise/heat of the air conditioner and the view/smell/noise of the dumpsters, the balcony was a disappointment in every way and certainly not worth the extra cost.

The room was nice but nothing exceptional--it had a fridge and microwave, which was good. The bathroom seemed new and everything was clean. The room had a large TV and a non-carpeted area to place sandy beach items. The bed was very comfortable and was the best part of the room!

They had cookies in the lobby in the afternoon, and the breakfast was standard, nothing exceptional but nothing bad either. The night desk clerk--I think her name is Wendy(?)--was fantastic. She deserves a 5-star, excellent rating for her friendly personality and helpful advice about where to eat etc... The guy at the desk in the morning was the exact opposite...he seemed grumpy and reluctant to replenish an empty item on the breakfast bar.

So, overall, we paid premium prices for an average room. The hotel is OK, decent, and safe...we had no specific complaints (except for the balcony), but there was nothing we just *loved* about this place. We stayed there...once...but probably won't be back.

Room Tip: Don't bother paying extra for a balcony
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Amelia H, Guest Relations Manager at Amelia Hotel at the Beach, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
We appreciate your review, and I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. It is interesting to me you booked a balcony room, because these only have 1 King bed, not room for 2 teenagers and parents. The terrace suite would have been a better choice because it has much more room, and the balcony hosts a direct ocean view. We do state our balcony rooms are in the middle of the hotel, and only offer a partial view.
As you can read from other reviewers, people love our staff! I apologize if you did not receive the treatment you deserve. We hope you come and give us another chance to give you a better stay.

Management Amelia Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Turkish first
St. Augustine
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at Amelia Hotel at the Beach. They offer half priced drinks at happy hour and a nice hot breakfast. The hotel is near the beach, but away from the historic area of the island. The rooms are nicely kept. We were given a free room upgrade to include a sofa couch with the king size bed. Room had a partial view of the beach, but you must walk across the street to get to the water.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Sara G
Amelia H, Guest Relations Manager at Amelia Hotel at the Beach, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
We are so pleased you had a great stay with us. The lobby bar has been a welcome addition to the hotel. They make a tasty Margarita! Please come stay again soon. We look forward to it!

Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

Our room was really nice and clean! The breakfast was pretty good and there was still some on the days we woke up late. I loved how they had good bathroom items and sheets. The pool was a little small though and there was a door that kept squeaking in the early mornings. Also they require a $100 deposit that I don't like but I guess I could understand why. Overall though we had a great experience and its a really good value for what you get!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Lnjdooley
Amelia H, Guest Relations Manager at Amelia Hotel at the Beach, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Thank you for the very kind review of our property. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay. The $100 deposit is necessary to ensure guests do not smoke in our rooms, or sneak in their animals. It is unfortunately a necessary precaution. Please come and stay with us again. We look forward to it!

Marietta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This is a wonderful hotel and its location to the beach is fantastic. If you are looking for an action packed island with lots of commercialized things to do, this is not the beach for you. There are very few hotels on the island and most are not beach front, unless you want a high end resort. However, as it advertises clearly, Amelia Hotel at the Beach is by the Beach and there are Ocean view rooms. We had a king sized, ocean view room with a small balcony. Room 322 has a perfect view of the ocean. My six-year old and I had lots of fun sitting there and watching the ocean roll in as well as the many surfers. We brought an air mattress for her but you can rent roll away beds for $20 a day. The room has a small sink, refrigerator and microwave which was ideal. The housekeeping staff, maintenance staff (my daughter loved Unc) and front desk staff were extremely accommodating - bend over backwards nice. The breakfast in the morning was great (who cares if it was the same daily...it is FREE) - biscuits, eggs, sausage, fresh fruit, yogurt, pastries, hot and cold cereals - truly something for everyone. Fresh cookies are always in the lobby between 3-4 p.m. and they offer free beach towels as well as low beach chairs (get there early as they did run out) but you can also rent chairs from the place across the street affordably. Is the carpet old? Sure - but they are constantly vacuuming it to get the sand out daily. Some of our hotels were worn but easily replaced by the housekeeping staff. I cannot imagine how much wear and tear the towels must get from use - I felt like we showered every time we returned from the beach. We were very pleased with our stay and rates, which were lower if we paid in advance. The pool is small but we spent most of our time on the beach in regards to water activities. There is a Publix close by and Fernandina is a quick drive for lots of local shops and restaurants. We would stay here again for sure. Thank you for a first great trip to Amelia Island. Stayed July 31 - Aug. 4.

Room Tip: Ask for the third floor on the beach side near 318 - 324 (we had 322 and had a perfect ocean view)
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ADS73
Thank you so much for the kind words! We are thrilled we were able to give a memorable vacation. I think you nailed our little island perfectly. You can do as much or as little as you want to while here. I will share with our staff your compliments. Please come and see us again soon. After August the rates are even lower, and the island is quiet, but the weather is spectacular! We look forward to hosting your return visit.

Elmira, New York
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I love this place and the location is nice but the "ocean view" from the ocean front rooms is ruined by the constant (and I mean constant) high pitched very loud buzz (air conditioner and kitchen exhaust I'm guessing) and eye sore created by facing the backside of a bar (trash, etc) from Slider's Bar across the street. Its awful. Our balcony was neat, just big enough to enjoy my coffee after my run on the beach across the street!!! Not sure if I would stay again only because of the bar across the street. It would be a great view and a perfect place to stay again if not for that.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a room on the North end of the ocean front rooms.... to avoid looking directly into th...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jeaniegirl
Thank you for the nice review. Unfortunately we have no control over the restaurant across the street. We have however, shared with the owner your observations and concerns. We are hopeful he will address the issues that affected your stay. Please come visit us again. And you can always request a room further down the hotel. Or better yet, one of our terrace suites that have a larger balcony, and host a direct ocean view because of their location.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My wife and i both work in the hotel business so we totally understand the highs and lows of the hospitality industry.Spent two days at the amelia hotel and what a great location.Breakfast was fantastic and susan(brfst attendant) did a fantastic job in the breakfast area.It's sad to see a lot of hotels doing away with a complimentary breakfast.Some of the bloody hotel owners are just getting too f... greedy.The rooms were well thought of The only thing we noticed was the carpets on the floors were a little old(in the reception and hallway areas) ,apart from that what a great little hotel.Management and staff keep up the great work.We will recommend people to visit you folks when they head up to amelia island.Thanx for 2 great days

Room Tip: rm 330 or any of their oceanview rms from the second floor up are all great
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank barry h
Amelia H, Guest Relations Manager at Amelia Hotel at the Beach, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you for such a great review of our hotel! We appreciate our guests so much, and try to show them by making may things the large corpoorate hotels charge for complimentary. We really want you to just come and enjoy our island, without stress. I am so happy our staff gave you great treatment. They really are some of the best around! Please come back and visit agin soon. We look forward to your next visit!

Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
Reviewed July 24, 2013

First the staff. Terrific. Front desk folks jumped to help me, always responsive, great recommendations for food and other location-based questions, etc. The outside of the building had great paint, just like in the photo. Then the differences.

The interior is a bit dated and run-down. The room I was in smelled like someone just emptied a can of roach spray. The place was clean--don't get me wrong. And the bed/pillows were nice. The deck was small, chairs rusty, and the hotel is "not" on the beach--it is across the street with a restaurant between it. The swimming pool is right in the parking lot--no privacy at all.

For a family looking for a convenient place for a vacation, I think it is sufficient but a bit on the pricy side. The only reason I actually stayed here was due to a business function selling out rooms at a nicer resort close by. This seemed to me like the next best thing based on ads and photos.

I think if the hallways, carpets, and rooms were upgraded (and decent internet was available), it would have been a better value.

Bottom line--great service, good place to rest your head, and very close to the beach and good bars and restaurants. If you're looking for something that rivals quality equal or better to a Residence Inn, Holiday Inn Express, or Courtyard, you'll find it to be closer to a Hampton or Red Roof in my opinion. I travel 50 times per year so I know what other properties are like.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank durancd
Amelia H, Guest Relations Manager at Amelia Hotel at the Beach, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
I appreciate your very candid review. I am happy our staff gave you the great treatment you deserve. We are across the street from the beach, but as you found out so very close. Just a walk across the street and your toes are in the sand. The rates for all the local hotels are higher during the summer months, because it is so very busy on our little island, but most resort rooms run $350-$400 a night, so I think we are a very affordable option. I would suggest a visit in the fall and winter months. The weather is still fantastic, but the rates are much lower, and the island has less visitors. We will be updating the interiors after the high season, so I hope you will come and see the new and improved look. Thank you again-

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fernandina Beach
The Seaside Amelia Inn
The Seaside Amelia Inn
#5 of 11 in Fernandina Beach
Residence Inn Amelia Island
Residence Inn Amelia Island
#1 of 11 in Fernandina Beach
Comfort Suites Oceanview Amelia Island
Comfort Suites Oceanview Amelia ...
#10 of 11 in Fernandina Beach
Days Inn & Suites Amelia Island at the Beach
Days Inn & Suites Amelia Island ...
#11 of 11 in Fernandina Beach
Villas of Amelia Island Plantation
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Island-Historic Harbor Front
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Isla...
#2 of 11 in Fernandina Beach

Been to Amelia Hotel at the Beach? Share your experiences!