“Comfortable and beautiful!”

Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Fernandina Beach
Augusta, Georgia
“Comfortable and beautiful!”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed at Amelia Hotel on Friday, July 5th and Saturday, July 6th. I really enjoyed my stay here. Every one of the staff was so friendly, helpful and attentive. I couldn't ask for people to be any nicer to me. We stayed in room 210 ("Ocean View, King Bed, Balcony"). (See photos.) The air-conditioner worked great. There was a huge flat screen T.V. and the room was very clean. The furniture was "Tommy Bahama-esque". The bed was clean, fluffy and full of pillows. It was so comfortable and the sheets were white and beautiful. My husband said he never slept better. We swam in the pool downstairs (limit 20). Breakfast is served in the Lobby every day from 6:00 until 10:00. They have scrambled eggs, sausage, bagels, cereals, juices, french toast, waffles, biscuits, fresh fruit and other items. It is a scrumptious breakfast. Sliders Restaurant is directly across from the hotel. They have delectable seafood, wonderful live music and ocean views to
die for. The beautiful beach is in front of Sliders. We spent a couple of long, long afternoons sitting in the surf. I even found a couple of shells for my collection. Everything you need is in walking distance of this hotel. We did take one trip downtown. Christie, who was so kind and helpful, checked us out. She gave me a return discount ticket. She answered all my questions and said she hoped we would come back. There is $100.00 damage deposit when you check into the room. I deposited cash and Christie returned it to me when we left. The only thing I was a little unhappy about was the balcony view. This review would have been "excellent", had it not been for the view. Perhaps it would have been more prudent of me to be more specific about what I wanted. Still, it was July 4th week-end and the hotel was packed. So, I don't blame the hotel. It is a beautiful place and I had so much fun.

Room Tip: Ask specifically about the balcony view. Rm. 210 is not good.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Amelia H, Guest Relations Manager at Amelia Hotel at the Beach, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you so much for the wonderful review. I would suggest on your next visit trying to stay in one of our Terrace Suites. Their location is more off the corner of the hotel, so it boasts a direct view, without any obstruction. We look forward to your next visit! Thank you again-

Management Amelia Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Turkish first
Savannah
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I really don't understand how these good reviews are being posted about this hotel. From the moment I walked in, I was shocked at how run-down it is. The carpet in the halls is disgusting and shredding at the seams, and the walls are badly in need of a coat of paint. The room was okay and fairly clean, but very dated and needs some TLC. The comfortable bed was the only positive thing about the room.

If you reserve a balcony room, don't be expecting much. It's a tiny balcony, the chairs are rusting, and it looks out on the back side of Sliders and their garbage dumpsters. The main entertainment is watching the drunks stumble out of Sliders and people watching from the balcony. There is a slight view of the ocean but nothing to rave about. The professional photo on this site looks a lot better than it does in person!

Granted it is a close walk to the beach but I would not stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Brenda J
Amelia H, Guest Relations Manager at Amelia Hotel at the Beach, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
I was very distressed to read your review. Our hotel prides itself on being clean and inviting. I apologize that you feel we did not live up to your expectations. The salt water certainly can cause rust , and the balcony areas do receive their fair share of salt water, but you should have called and let someone know so we could have placed different chairs on the porch for you.
We do say we are a partial ocean view because our location is across the street, but many guests enjoy sitting outside on their balconies to get a view of the ocean. We will certainly address all of your complaints and try to make any necessary changes. We do thank you for taking the time to give us your opinion.

DeLand, Florida
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Everything you need! Affordable luxury. Room was perfectly cooled by air conditioner when we walked in. Nice clean billowy white comforters on beds. Granite counter tops. Hot breakfast and afternoon fresh baked cookies included with stay. Friendly staff. Ocean just across the street. Restaurant with upper and lower beach patios and children's play area steps away. A couple of surf shops and Dairy Queen very close by. Fort Clinch State Park, with one of the most well-preserved 19th century forts in the country just a few miles away. Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Brenda L
Amelia H, Guest Relations Manager at Amelia Hotel at the Beach, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay here at Amelia Hotel. It looks as you might have a future as a travel writer for our wonderful island paradise. Happy guests like you, are the reason we do what we do. Please come visit again soon. We look forward to it.

Denham Springs, Louisiana, United States
Reviewed June 28, 2013

For a room right across the street from the beach this price, they could have gotten away with a lot in my book. But they exceeded what I expected. The staff was very friendly, and always helpful. We were presented with great info about Amelia Island upon check in. And when I had the great opportunity to see a sea turtle, one of the staff hunted down a great informational brochure on the low lighting on Amelia as an effort to help with sea turtle breeding. Overall, breakfast was free hot and yummy. Free internet. Free parking. Clean rooms. Friendly staff. Great location. Even the shampoos smelled great. What more could you want? :)

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Dorey M
What a wonderful review! We are always pleased when we exceed your expectations. I personally think our staff are some of the friendliest, and most accommodating around. If you are interested in the area wildlife, make sure you schedule a river cruise during your next visit. You will be able to see manatees, turtles, and many other local sea creatures. We look forward to your next visit~

Best Regards,
Hixson, Tennessee
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Nothing spectacular but a good value for the price. Spent 3 nights - Mon-Wed - good time to come to the beach and avoid the weekend crowds.

A very short walk to the beach! Quiet, clean and the A/C worked well. Our second floor room did NOT have any hint of mold or mildew, often found in the high humidity areas. Was very pleased to have a room that didn't have any odors. Easy parking, friendly staff.

Did not use the pool but it was busy and looked clean. Breakfast was standard fare and adequate to get us started. Lots of fun restaurants on the island - using the hotel key gets you a 10% discount at two. Downtown historic district was a short drive and worth a day's exploration.

It would be fun to do this again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Myquest55
Thanks so much for taking the time to review our facilities. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. I see you know the inside secret, that it is quiet Sunday through Thursday, and you have the beaches all to your self. Please come and stay again soon. A day trip to Fort Clinch is enjoyable as well, and the fort is also located close by! We look forward to your return!

Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Stopped over on way back from Key West and just wanted to check out the island. There aren't many hotels on the beach, but Amelia Hotel is just across the road from the beach. The room was large with a kitchenette and the staff was very helpful. They even had a military rate. My husband and I will definitely go back. It's within walking distance to restaurants and shops. Historic downtown is a 10 minute drive. The hallway of the hotel is a bit worn but the rooms look great! I highly recommend!

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank RuntoCarolina
Amelia H, Guest Relations Manager at Amelia Hotel at the Beach, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Quite a few of our loyal guests start out as a quick visit, and return for years to come. We certainly hope you are one of those. We look forward to your next visit.

Take Care,
Residence Inn Amelia Island
Residence Inn Amelia Island
#1 of 12 in Fernandina Beach
Days Inn & Suites Amelia Island at the Beach
Days Inn & Suites Amelia Island ...
#10 of 12 in Fernandina Beach
Comfort Suites Oceanview Amelia Island
Comfort Suites Oceanview Amelia ...
#11 of 12 in Fernandina Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Island-Historic Harbor Front
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Isla...
#3 of 12 in Fernandina Beach
Villas of Amelia Island Plantation

Been to Amelia Hotel at the Beach? Share your experiences!