“Excellent hotel experience”

The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Fernandina Beach
Reviewed December 13, 2013

This was our first time staying at a Ritz-Carlton. Generally, luxury hotels are out of our price range by choice. That is, our philosophy is that we stay in a place, not a hotel. I picked this hotel, however, because through trip advisor I found a special all inclusive price, so I sprang for it. Okay, now I think we are ruined for life. It was very special and worth every penny. I may have felt differently, however, if I had to pay for breakfast, parking and internet. These were included, so great deal.

The staff is exceptional. All do their upmost to assist their guests. Granted, the first week of December is a slow one, but the service was excellent--from the time we drove up, to the bellman who gave us all the details of the room, to moment they they drove our car up and help us load to leave.

We had a coastal view room. Beautiful room with balcony. Gorgeous bath in Carrara marble.
Wonderful breakfasts in the Cafe and a very special dinner in Salt, the 5 star restaurant.

The Christmas decor was fantastic, adding the special feeling for the place. That aside, the hotel is richly decorated and the grounds were impeccably kept.

We hope to return in the future.

Room Tip: We chose the (coastal view) southern exposed side of the south wing for a winter visit for the late...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island

Reviewed December 9, 2013

I just traveled here for business. I had a coastal view room, which had a fantastic view of both the sunrise and sunset. The resort is extremely serene and well-kept. The staff at the Ritz have to be the friendliest people on earth. They bend over backward to make sure you have a wonderful experience while you are there. Every person I came across spoke, even if it was just to smile and say hello. The holiday decor is amazing this time of year.
The beach is also beautiful,serene and very relaxing. I didn't get to experience Salt, but did eat at the other cafe. They are very generous with the portions!
The only minor "complaint" was that I discovered a layer of dust on the headboard, which I didn't find until my last night, but the experience more than makes up for this minor issue.
I am looking forward to returning here soon.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 7, 2013

We visited both the area and this property over part of Thanksgiving weekend. We went to bed one night, and the next morning the hotel was transformed with beautiful holiday decor and their signature pirate ship gingerbread "house." I was impressed by how long many of the staff members had worked at there (some 10+ years), and by their genuine excitement about the holiday happenings. The service was incredible. I also like how comfortable the property felt - I felt welcomed and relaxed. The big let down for us specific to the property is that their famed restaurant Salt was closed during most of our stay. We really wanted to go there. We ate in their other restaurant, but it wasn't the same.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ZannieP
Reviewed December 4, 2013

My family visited this hotel over the Thanksgiving weekend this year. This was our second visit (we also did Thanksgiving 2 years ago). It was a great experience despite the cooler-than-usual weather. We had a great time. Below are my pros and cons:

Pros:
- the service is always great. I've never had a friendlier experience in a hotel. EVERYONE goes above and beyond. We happened to be evacuated early on Thanksgiving morning because of smoke in an A/C unit on the roof. While we were outside, staff brought out racks of bathrobes for people who hadn't grabbed their coats on the way out the door (it was 6:30 in the morning). As soon as they knew it was safe, they ushered us into the ballroom wing of the hotel so we wouldn't be out in the cold. They provided hot coffee, tea, hot chocolate, fruit, snack bars, etc. while we waited. It was unbelievable. They also gave us a credit on our bill for the 'inconvenience.' It was hardly an inconvenience, and I definitely felt that they were doing everything they could to expedite the situation while also keeping us as safe as possible.

- Even though it was cold, there was plenty to do iniside. They have lots of activities, and an indoor pool, game room, etc. Even the outdoor pool is heated.

- We switched rooms after our first night when a suite became available, and the whole transition experience was as easy as could be.

- the Thanksgiving dinner was fantastic! A beautiful buffet spread that was kept hot and fresh the whole time with TONS of delicious offerings. The hotel even checked with me in advance in case there were any dietary restrictions they needed to be aware of. Never have I heard of that for a buffet dinner before.

Cons:

- I only have one con, and it's a pretty minor one. The suites that I have stayed in (can't assume they are all like this) have a separate bedroom, which is great. However, the doors to the bedroom have frosted glass windows. That means that a light on in the living room illuminates the bedroom as well. This kinda defeats the purpose of a separate bedroom if you want to put the kids to bed early. We worked around it, but I think if they ever do a remodel, this would be an easy area of improvement.

Room Tip: We had a standard room (#545) when we first arrived. It was a great location overlooking the tree li...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank HannahB891
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We stayed at the Ritz Amelia Island for Thanksgiving. The hotel is beautiful and is on a natural, untouched beach. I cannot say enough great things about the staff. They were nice, attentive, and always went above and beyond. I will definitely go back to this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Vicki V
Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went down for thanksgiving to spend some time together. The first night was brutal. The heat in our room didn't work and then to top it off the Hotel had to be evacuated because a fire caused by a spark in the heating system somewhere. It all sounds as bad as it was but let me tell you the staff was great. They smuggled out a bunch if robes and the food and beverage folks got a ton of coffee out of the hotel before they couldn't go back in. They served us coffee generally did an excellent job keeping people's spirits up. It speaks volumes about the brand and why I continue to be loyal to it. Once we where allowed back in the Hotel they got us into another room and the rest of the trip was great. I tip my hat off to the folks at Amelia Island, they are a great bunch of people.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

Everyone should experience such a luxury as The Ritz at least once in their life time. The moment we checked in we were treated to champagne & berries. We checked our room & put on our robe to head to the hot tub & then back up to our room & found chocolates and a tuck down service. We then went to the billiard table for some gaming, enjoyed a pizza and the ambience only such a grand hotel can provide. We enjoyed our trip; however, I have definitely had a nicer room but somehow it was just fine because the staff make the Ritz experience incredible!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
The Seaside Amelia Inn
The Seaside Amelia Inn
#5 of 12 in Fernandina Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Island-Historic Harbor Front
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Isla...
#3 of 12 in Fernandina Beach
Hampton Inn Amelia Island at Fernandina Beach
Hampton Inn Amelia Island at Fer...
#8 of 12 in Fernandina Beach

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island? Share your experiences!