“Outstanding customer service”

The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Fernandina Beach
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My husband and I were here for a conference , four nights. Everyone from the valet staff, check in , pool attendants, servers and house keeping were top notch. Beautiful facilities. Pool side food service was quick and tasty but pricey. My lunch consisted of a sandwich, chips and a cola cost about 25.00 including the tip. I am disappointed that the internet was not included with room charge , it seems when you are paying this rate they could include it. Overall it was a pleasant experience. I would probably not make this a vacation destination if it were not for the conference.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the pool side if you are there for a vacation. It is a long way to activities if...

Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is not the first time we have stayed at this hotel. I was there for a conference with my family. We arrived about 1:00 a.m. We called first, so they did not sell our room which they have done in the past. We left our room in the morning and returned around 3:00 p.m., housekeeping had not made up the room. They came by around 3:30 p.m. when we were trying to take a nap.
Since it had been raining, we decided to have dinner at Cafe 4750. The hostess asked us if we had reservations. We did not. She said we would have to come back between 6:30 and 7:00 p.m. even though it was already 6:30 p.m. This is the casual restaurant and there were empty tables. We left the hotel and ate dinner elsewhere. When we returned, there were still empty tables.
Approximately 1:15 a.m. the following morning, the alarm went off. We exited the building using the stairs. There were no staff members around until we went to the reception desk. They said it was a false alarm and apologized. My family and I were disappointed by this hotel.

3  Thank MaryandKatherinesMom
Reviewed July 29, 2013

The Ritz-Carlton is a great property, especially if you're a golfer. Customer service is what you'd expect from a Ritz...great. They really know how to make you feel special. The one exception to that was the restaurant which I'm guessing wasn't managed by the Ritz Carlton. One day I had just finished up at the pool and was in a swim suit and t-shirt. I walked up to the host of the restaurant and asked whether I could get a reservation for the evening. The gentleman looks me up and down and said "I suggest you try somewhere else" I was absolutely appalled. I've eaten at some of the nicest restaurants all over the world and have never been made to feel that way. Approach is everything...all the guy had to do was so "of course, but there is a dress code." I'm not a perfectionist and don't expect every stay to be perfect. This one small thing, however, was enough to keep me away from this restaurant for good.

It was bad enough that I truly do think the GM ought to discuss the approach with the people at Salt.

On a positive, I decided not to go back to restaurant and we spent the rest of the trip going to town every evening. That was great as downtown Amelia Island is a cute little beach town. I do wish The Ritz-Carlton was a bit closer to the downtown though.

Unfortunately for The Ritz-Carlton Amelia Island I will very likely not be back just because I'd want to be able to eat a nice meal on property and I'm too turned off by this one. There are plenty of great hotels in the world without having to relive that experience.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank caazmark
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Our second trip to this hotel in 8 years. My husband and I went for a 3 days conference and wished we had planned to stay longer. The staff was the friendliest we have ever experienced in our many years of travels. Everyone from registration, pool staff, waiters, housekeeping, bartenders, etc greeted you with a smile and kindness. Food was wonderful--best burger I have ever had. Husband thought the same about the caeser salad. Beach is beautiful and property landscaping is immaculate. The same conference is being held at this hotel next year--I'll be back if for no other reason than to return to this wonderful property and its outstanding staff!

1  Thank maxie5
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Customer service here is top notch. You never ran into anyone who was not friendly, or went out of their way to make sure that you wanted for nothing. Angela, via email, helped me tremendously in a birthday surprise for my mother, and arranged for sparkling wine and chocolate covered strawberries in the room. She also arranged for us to have a driver, to bring us around town as we did various activities. Kudos to Angela! From the front desk, valets, bell men, bar staff, room service attendant, and house keeping, not enough can be said of their professionalism and customer service. The resort is immaculate! Beach gorgeous. Lots to do right here in the resort. Wish we could have stayed longer. Is it expensive, but all well worth it. As a previous reviewer stated, I would much rather stay here for a shorter period of time, then stay elsewhere for longer. The Ritz has spoiled any other hotel for us in the future.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank kirbey38
Reviewed July 27, 2013

There is no doubt the Ritz Carlton on Amelia Island is a quality hotel. I'd like to give it 5 stars but a few things bring it down to a solid 4 star.

The best thing about the RC is the staff - they are truly wonderful. The training program must be top class. All the staff engage with you throughout the day and have something meaningful to say. We also really liked the breakfast in the Cafe 4750 - top quality food at a reasonable price. The kids also really liked making shark tooth necklaces.

On the downside the Ritz Carlton is expensive. To a certain extent this has to be expected but everything is pricey. Don't expect to have a snack for four people less than $50! When you're paying $350 per night I expect all the amenities to be free, but they're not. Internet is $10 per day (not too bad but most hotels now have free wifi). Towels on the beach are free but sun shades are $25 per day. You can rent a boogie board for $25 for half a day (we bought ours from Walmart for $9 each). The tennis courts are $20 per day per person. So in the end I did feel nickel and dimed, nevertheless the hotel is good and to be recommended (if you can aford it)

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We have enjoyed this hotel in the past because it was superb in every way. While the service is still above average, this property seems to have slipped a bit and lost its edge.

For instance, while it is no big deal, the orchids at the elevators on every floor were wilted and dropping blooms, creating the impression that other things were also not well cared for. In addition, pool bathrooms were not as detailed as in the past. Flipping the chair cushions at the outdoor pool grill was necessary to get the "clean" side and the service in that area was delayed and nonchalant. We did not try the upscale restaurant, Salt, but we had breakfast room service and had the seafood buffet. Both were expensive but nothing outstanding which is what one expects from the Ritz,

All said, it is still a beautiful property on a beautiful beach and we were very happy to be here. The new room decor is restful and light with a clean sophistication. Very pleasant and sets a nice tone for your time at the beach. However, we had some real problems wIth our room keys, getting 5 sets and finally, the maintenance man fixed the lock the next morning but only after he had to take the lock apart. Everyone had really good attitudes about helping us, it was just aggravating after a long trip to not be able to get in our room because the keys didn't work---5 times.

We wondered if Marriott's takeover has made the difference or if they have given in to the demands of a tough economy and are cutting corners like everyone else. Too bad. This property isn't as special as it once was.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fernandina Beach
Seaside Amelia Inn
#5 of 12 in Fernandina Beach
Villas of Amelia Island Plantation
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Island-Historic Harbor Front
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Isla...
#3 of 12 in Fernandina Beach
Hampton Inn Amelia Island at Fernandina Beach
Hampton Inn Amelia Island at Fer...
#8 of 12 in Fernandina Beach

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island? Share your experiences!