The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Summer Beach Resort(Amelia Island)
  • Beachfront
  • Pool
The Surf Beach Motel(Fernandina Beach)
Beachside Motel(Fernandina Beach)
View Hotel
Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort(Fernandina Beach)
View Hotel
Residence Inn Amelia Island(Fernandina Beach)
2,494 results
All reviewsclub levelthe ritz carltonsalt restaurantspa poolcoastal view roomamelia islandsports barlobby loungeturn down servicegolf coursepool staffbeautiful propertyocean frontfitness centerbusiness conferencejacksonville airportan umbrella
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 26, 2013

If you've never stayed at a Ritz Carlton before this one, you'll love it. The property is beautiful, the staff is dutiful and friendly, the food (both dining in one of the various restaurants and for catered events) is fantastic and the rooms are large (particularly the bathrooms) compared to most resorts at the top of the mid-range. However, compared to what I'm used to from Ritz, the service at this property fell short of expectations. The best way I can explain it is that I felt like the entire operation was staffed with new employees. Everyone I encountered clearly had potential -- they knew what they SHOULD do, had a great attitude, and were giving it their all... but just didn't have the hang of it like it was natural yet. It was the little things... the attention to extreme detail I'm always WOW-ed by at a Ritz... where they just didn't have the hang of it yet. So, overall, it was an excellent stay and I would come back again -- but not at Ritz prices.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are priced at a premium, but most "coastal view" rooms have sensational views of the courtyard and the ocean beyond it. Unless you really value that unobstructed view of pure blue, I'd skip the upgrade. Rooms farthest from the elevators have the best views.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 25, 2013

The staff was up to par, but the hotel fell far short of my expectations of the Ritz. Being a platinum Marriott member, I got the room upgrade. So I expected it to be very high-end. The first thing I noticed when I walked in was a large piece of glass in the floor. This was a first for me at any hotel. Next there was multiple pieces of dark hair in the tub. Then there was a long piece of hair wrapped multiple times around the hot water knob at the sink. Yuk!

They installed hand-scraped hardwood floors as part of their recent renovation, but the installation was terrible. The boards didn't aline very well with the bathroom floor leaving space were I could see under the floor. My room was an adjoining room, which didn't provide any protection from listening to the domestic disturbance happening next door.

The food was good at Salt, but it didn't make up for everything else.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank TravelsfromKY
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Because we went in December before the holidays, we got a super rate. The king room was small, but nicely appointed and clean, and they gave us a refrigerator as requested. Plus, we had a beautiful view of the ocean and outside patio area. We walked across the wooden bridge to the beach, gathered shells, enjoyed the squawking birds, and watched the waves roll in. The hotel was decorated to the nines for the holidays, but the regular 'wood and glass' furnishings are very tasteful, too. We found the hotel restaurants to be very pricey, as well as the automatic parking fee ( 5-star facility....). But the location is just a short drive to the harbor/historical downtown area, so we had dinner there, and spent our full second day there as well. The only downfall was the alarm went off early morning, but the hotel gave us a voucher for money off on our next visit. Very professional!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Cathy G
Reviewed January 20, 2013

This review is coming from a Marriott Platinum Premier traveler so we have stayed at numerous Ritzs and countless Marriotts. This one falls very short. If you have never stayed at a Ritz, you might think this hotel is fabulous. All these great reviews must be coming from people that have never stayed at one. It's a Marriott. Plain and simple. Nothing more. There is a reason this hotel is reasonably priced comparted to others. That should have told ussomething right there.

The service is definitely not up to standards as other Ritz hotels. Everyone was pleasant but there was just something missing with this one.

Food was average at best. Hotel food is generally not the greatest but this was by far the worst Ritz food we had ever had. Very tasteless. We've actually had better food at Marriotts. Salt was extremely disappointing. Cafe 4750 was too small. Very crowded. The podium when you enter is right on top of tables. People were bumping into each other. The breakfast buffet setup was poorly layed out and too close to tables as well. The lobby bar area was very disjointed unless you had a table in the immediate bar area.

The rooms were a let down. Awful even for a makeover this year. The rooms are old with a coat of paint. The walls were plain white on three sides. How unappealing. The fabrics chosen didn't coordinate very well at all. This was the first room at a Ritz that didn't have a separate shower. (They hardly gave us an upgrade even when paying as platinum premier plus the hotel wasn't even full). Finally received one after some complaining. The bathroom and room itself was on the small side for a Ritz as well.

We did not use the indoor pool area. This is one of the reasons why we chose this hotel. The only access is outside. Seriously??? Who wants to walk outside in the cold after coming out of a pool. You then have to walk by the Cafe in your bathing suit or robe. Seriously again???

I will give it a plus that the outside grounds were very nice. The only positive thing the hotel has going for it. We did not use the outdoor pool because of the time of year, but we did take notice that it was small. In warmer months I can see it being very crowded unless everyone decides to use the beach.

Also a month and a missing stay request later, we are still waiting for the stay to be posted to our account. This has happened only once before in 20 years.

We will most likely not be back. We had a reservation for this summer and canceled it as soon as we got home. It's a shame since this hotel isn't a far drive from Atlanta.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Alpharetta_Mom
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I stayed here for 3 days as part of a business conference with a group of about 30. The service from all that I encountered was the best of any hotel I've ever stayed at previously. The group services team was fantastic (they gave me a personal hour long tour a month before to help us decide). The meeting rooms were perfect and the attendants seemed to know when we had a break and quickly and efficiently swooped in and cleared tables and refreshed everything. We had taken over an entire restaurant a couple of times and the food service and buffets offered to our group were over the top. Excellently prepared and delicious. We had a bonfire arranged one night with smores and hot chocolate and even though it was a little misty rain they made the best of it for us. The room was amazing. Exceptionally clean and maintained. I would love to go back as a "regular guest" in the future and take my wife.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business