“Leddy's On The Porch is a Quiet Retreat”

Florida House Inn and Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Leddy's On The Porch is a Quiet Retreat”
Reviewed April 5, 2014

I don't come to Leddy's at the Florida House Inn for the food--which, however, is fine. I mostly come for the location and the chance to eat in an uncrowded courtyard with wrought iron chairs that makes me feel like I'm visiting a friend who lives in a wonderful old house with balconies in Savannah. The menu is "Southern comfort food" and so it is. Fried chicken, grits, shrimp. But this time I had a perfectly good beet and citrus salad with shrimp and warm goat cheese. It wasn't fancy and the presentation on the plate was sort of average but it was just fine with a cold beer. I also came here because I wanted to step away from the tourists and eat somewhere quiet--and so I got a good lunch in a wonderful atmosphere. Interestingly, my waitress was apologetic that more people weren't there. She explained that they had been closed on Wednesdays for the past few weeks serving a big group and this was the first time they had been "back to normal." And with that, she gave me a card for a free lunch or brunch when I returned when I told her I had been coming to the island for the past 14 years! I just liked the genuine and authentic graciousness of the place--and combined with good food and a modest check, that's a pretty nice recipe for lunch any day.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank jhartig1

Tallahassee, Florida
“Charming”
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Charming old hotel, recently refurbished. It included a delightful breakfast. Only downside was the noise from the bar next door. Not a place for early-to-bedders!

Visited April 2014
Modesto, California
“Historic Ambience, Good Food”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

My tour group ate here for lunch during our recent stay on Amelia Island a few weeks ago. We were served family style with the food placed on the tables. Our meal had been decided beforehand, so I cannot comment on the menu. Due to this being a tour group, I was also unaware of the price, so cannot comment on that. We were served fried chicken, biscuits, rice, a mixed vegetable medly and salad. Dessert was cookies. The fried chicken was delicious, very well prepared and I also thought the biscuits were quite good. I was surprised to see rice served with fried chicken, but apparently in this part of the South, rice is the staple food. The vegetables were just okay. I did not try the salad as it had a mayonaise based dressing which I do not eat. The service was fine, but nothing special. All in all, the food was good and I would eat here again. This is the oldest, still operating hotel in Florida, built in the 1850's I believe. It is an attractive building, both inside and out. The outside features a lovely porch for sitting and the hotel has the eight flags that have flown over Amelia Island.

• Visited March 2014
Fernandina Beach, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food, service a little slow”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

We have been to the Florida House Inn several times and always enjoy the food! The service is by no means awful, but it's lacking a little something, mostly attention to detail. Beautiful place though; love the hard wood floors, the history of the place and the beautiful trees in the courtyard!

Visited February 2014
NC
“Night Cap!”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

We had stayed here three years ago and wanted to pop in to have a drink. I'm glad to see this is still a popular place and they seem to draw a local crowd during the week for their open mic. Such a nicely restored property, worth the stop, even for a drink.

Visited January 2014