“Great wines”

BarZin Bistro & Wine Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
BarZin Bistro & Wine Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American, Wine Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 23, 2013

My wife and I stopped by their booth for appetizers at the 2013 Amelia Island Wine Festival. The profits from this event went to a domestic violence charity. The food here is very good. Friendly employees. Nice wine list and nice wines.

1  Thank WorldTravelers34

Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

It's terrific when you see a small locally owned restaurant succeed, expand, and maintain quality. The food here continues to be the star. The French country salad is awesome. It's plenty to share or ask for a half. The fish is always fresh and perfectly prepared.
The wine list is small but there are some very nice selections. I do suggest that perhaps it could be expanded.
Nice outdoor fire pit if you want to dine outside on a cool evening.
Thanks for another pleasant dinner.

1  Thank DKCAtlanta
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

We have been to Bar Zin many times but this was the first time dining outside by the fire. Wonderful atmosphere. The food is very good. Lobster spring roll is delicious. The owner will make sure everything meets expectations.

1  Thank MPC2of3
Reviewed September 29, 2013

My husband and I were looking forward to our evening at this restaurant based on all the reviews and hype surrounding it. We love a good wine bar so this seemed to be right up our alley.

The staff was very friendly; indeed we were warmly welcomed as soon as we walked in the door. As a matter of fact, the manager/owner asked if he knew us because he said we seemed familiar. We assured him this was our first visit to his restaurant and also our first time on Amelia Island. Very friendly folks.

We were seated in a back room and were handed several different menus. Our waitress happily told us about all of the specials and then proceeded to tell us how we could create any meal we wanted with any of the ingredients on the menu. She told us that the Pot Pie they create is one of their specialties and although it comes a certain way, we can make any changes to it we wish. I have to say the menu was quite confusing to me as I couldn’t tell if this was a French-style bistro, a tapas bar, a southern-style comfort food restaurant or a burger place.

So we proceeded to look veer the wine list. Imagine my surprise to find all the usual suspects that I can easily pick up in my neighborhood grocery store for under $15.00 a bottle. There was nothing on that wine list I hadn’t already tried and was so disappointed that we wouldn’t be able to try anything new. They only served wine, beer and saki, so I decided to get a glass of the Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc. A safe bet, but nothing special.

My husband ordered the Sea Bass and out came a square of fish surrounded by obviously frozen vegetables. It was obvious to us both (I tasted it, too) that the fish was previously frozen, too. He asked the waitress to take it back and after apologizing profusely the owner came over to speak to us. He was polite but clearly offended that we were sending food back. He was adamant that all the fish they serve is fresh caught the very same day and that perhaps the chef somehow messed up the preparation. I am telling you there is no way this fish was fresh caught that day – it was in a square. I had a chicken dish that was covered in a very thick sauce. It was ok, but nothing to write home about. It was at least edible.

And the thing that bothered me the most is that the owner was wearing so much cologne, it was difficult to breathe. Any professional in the food business will tell you that is a no-no.

I feel badly even writing such a negative review. I know how hard it is to run your own business and the restaurant business is the most challenging of them all. But we went into this restaurant expecting a relaxing wine bar and tapas experience. Instead it was more like a local family restaurant that catered to people not used to drinking good wine or eating great food. I felt badly for the waitress because she really wanted us to have a great time. It wasn’t her fault the food and drink were just not up to par. Yes, there is passion there, but alas, you need more than passion. I am thinking all the great reviews are because of their friendliness, not the food and drink.

2  Thank Ann V
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Probably one of the most refreshingly delicious meals anywhere on Amelia Island. It was a wonderful lunch on a hot summer day. The service is excellent and the atmosphere is comfortable and welcoming. You can sit around and chat. No rushed service..very well done, BarZin. Always love dining at this lovely restaurant.

1  Thank Pchee72