“I was surprised”

BarZin Bistro & Wine Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
BarZin Bistro & Wine Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Jacksonville, Florida
“I was surprised”
Reviewed February 2, 2012

We were part of a group of 10 who tried this restaurant during Amelia Island's Restaurant Week. The restaurant has not been open long and it was full. Reservations were needed for our group. The room where we were seated included a couple tables with two ladies at one and a couple at the other. I thought there should be a private room for larger parties because of the intimacy of the dining area.

Our server did a tremendous job and was known by several in our group. She was attentive to us and knew the menu items well. She recommended several items she liked. The menu was simple and included a few daily specials that our server listed for us. I ordered from the Restaurant Week selections. I had the crab cakes (2) and House Salad. A small slice of chocolate cake and carrot cake came with it. I took that home. The crab cakes were small but were full of crab meat. It had a remoulade sauce lightly drizzled on top. It was delicious if you like a little kick to your crabcakes. The salad will hearty with fresh ingredients.

My husband ordered off the RW menu as well. He had pork tenderloin with the Ga. peach tequila sauce, garlic mashed potato and a vegetable. The portion was sufficient and he enjoyed it very much. It was also $19.95.

I would return but would chose to sit outside around the fire pit or on the porch. There's a heater on the porch if it's needed. That would be fun.

• Visited January 2012

Amelia Island, FL
“ANOTHER Restaurant Week Trial”
Reviewed January 29, 2012

10 of us tried this new restaurant. Many had the Prix Fixe choices for the Amelia Island Restaurant Week. I mixed a couple of sides with my choice and my husband ordered from the regular menu - hey, it was only $2 more than the RW choices. Among 10 people we were able to taste test many items. Betsy was our server and very knowledgeable.

First, very eclectic menu that will taste as good, if not better, than it sounds. I had a French Country Salad with pickled red onions and then an "airline" chicken (one leg flying up high). Served with white beans, chard, goat cheese, and pancetta broth. Truly done to perfection and presented beautifully.

In addition, my husband and I chose an interesting side from the regular menu of "mac & cheese." Offered with spinach and pancetta as well as penne pasta. Very different with a little kick - wish I knew what it was but it finished with a zing at the end.

My husband did a surf/turf selection with fried oysters and rib eye. Portion sizes are large and we took leftovers home for another day.

Wine selections offer things for all - grape juice cheapos (like me) and friends who are true oenophiles. I figure after the 2nd glass it doesn't matter!

If you are on Amelia Island go to the South end and try this restaurant. They deserve to make it.

• Visited January 2012
Providence, RI
“Stop reading reviews and go to BarZin!”
Reviewed January 12, 2012

Excellent food, great menu and atmosphere, and super friendly staff. We went for dinner and practically licked our plates clean at every course. The best crab cakes any of us has ever had (no joke), sumptuous mac & cheese, hearty and fresh salads with the perfect amount of dressing (not drowning), scallops seared to perfection, and deliciously intense vanilla in the creamy creme brulee. After one visit, it's on our list of favorites for the area, and we'll definitely go back. Are you on your way yet?

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great new place for Amelia”
Reviewed December 19, 2011

This restaurant opened a few months ago and has become quite successful according to the locals (and my in-laws). We were a party of 8, my husband & I were pleasantly surprised. The food overall was excellent & very, very reasonable as were the wines by the bottle. We all started with different salads (mine was the tomato mozzarella = yummy). For the main courses, some of us had the flounder, also very good; the shrimp with pasta (good but a little too much pasta), and my husband had the steak (excellent). Our waitress was fabulous, never wrote our orders down and remembered everything, was attentive without being intrusive and the owner himself was there to thank us on the way out. There seemed to be a lively bar scene and believe there is outdoor seating for lunch. The ambiance was fun and casual for a night out. We will definitely be back, congratulations and many thanks!

CT
“Very nice”
Reviewed December 12, 2011

When the waitress recited the risotto special it could come with scallops or lamb chops for $30, being not that hungy I asked for just the risotto figuring the extras came on top- she insisted that I have as alternative shrimp or chicken? The risotto was excellent and was a meal without the extras. The regular menu was very reasonable and my spouses selection excellent. Good food off the regular menu and off the beaten path. Nice ambiance for no water view.