“Nice setting and excellent seafood” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of LuLu's at The Thompson House

LuLu's at The Thompson House
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: New owners/chef as of Summer 2010. Chef, Brian Grimley. Fantastic food, intimate location, menu changes weekly.
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Nice setting and excellent seafood”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

Sat in the garden on a nice Fall afternoon. I had the fish tacos. Nicely grilled grouper with an excellent crema based sauce. Tangy and good. The red beans and rice were tasty too. My wife had the grouper sandwich and it was grilled just right.

• Visited November 2013

Orlando
“Slightly disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

Based on great reviews from Trip Advisor and a recommendation from a close friend we chose this restaurant for dinner on a Saturday night in October. The service was hit or miss. I had to get up and go to the hostess stand for napkins and silver ware. I tried their signature dish of shrimp and grits and was disappointed. I have had better in other restaurants. No one at my table seemed to be too excited about what they ordered. The wine was a generous pour for the price. Would probably not go back if in the area again.

1 Thank vacationgirl3414
Wedowee, Alabama
“Best crab cakes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

We had a wonderful meal at Lulu's! The seafood bisque was delicious, as was the huge crab cake I had, and my husband enjoyed his crab cake sandwich on a tasty roll. This is a small but quaint restuarant. And we enjoyed both our food and fellowship with the owners who took the time to give us some lore on Cumberland Island. Great place to eat!

Amelia Island, Florida
“Eating in a closet”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

I live in Fernandina, and we are "restaurant impaired" here. Now, I've read the reviews about the wonderful food, fresh seafood, etc. The food was good, but very sparse. I had the linguini with clam sauce. Not much on the clams, and being Italian, I expect to have some fresh bread, even some oil. However, everything is extra here. My date had some salmon with vegetables, on the skimpy side, we shared a salad, a couple glasses of wine and an easy $100, but still being somewhat hungry we struck out on the streets for desert.
The main issue is the atmosphere. It was a cool night, windy and too cold for the patio, which looked like a romantic atmosphere. The only other choice was a room, the size of a large closet, with no atmosphere, poor acoustics and horrible lighting. We were seated under spotlights, and felt like an interrogation room in a prison. There were also lit chandeliers, which would have provided sufficient light. We first asked these spotlights to be dimmed...answer NO, then we asked them to be turned out, and just have the chandelier... answer NO. Hearing us, another patron chimed in to also turn down/turn out the lights...still NO. I've had better atmosphere in a diner, than this place.
As stated, the food was ok, but the atmosphere is unacceptable, but most important, what happened to "the customer is always right". If you elect to go here, please be advised, bring sunglasses!!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank ameliafoody
Columbia, South Carolina
“We're Back....!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

Once again, we had a superb dining experience at LuLu's. Guilty! I ordered the same thing, "Shrimp and Grits" because it is that good. The presentation is outstanding enough,but that shrimp and grits combination with the famous andalusia sausage sealed the deal. My wife ordered the famous "Mac and Cheese" shrimp. Again, this entree was second to none. The service is friendly. LuLu's is a perfect place to have a nice evening at the beach away from the crowds with tremendous dining. I always like a place where the chef comes around and greets his or her customers. Nice touch! In sum, our second dining experience there was just as pleasant as our first visit. I would not be surprised if LuLu's is the best restaurant at Fernandina Beach; it should be.