“Great people, great place.”
Review of Hoyt House Inn

Hoyt House Inn
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Just returned from a Florida trip that included Fernandina Beach. The old historic district is loaded with excellent restaurants, a very interesting state park and an easily accessed beach. Our stay was made just that much nicer by staying at the Hoyt House. Clean, elegant, and just plain fun. The Inn Keepers go out of their way to make you feel right at home. The breakfast offerings are excellent and you can choose to socialize with other guests or enjoy the privacy of the dining room by yourself. The house sits right at the top of the downtown shopping and restaurant area. A genuine plus. Easy walking to all destinations. The Inn Keepers motto is "treat people the way you want to treated". They treat you very well!

Room Tip: May want a room in back if you are sensitive to street noise, as the house is in town. Not an issue...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hoyt House Inn

Reviewed April 1, 2013

My wife and I went to Amelia Island to visit my sister who is ill. We needed a place to stay and I used my AAA Tourbook and found Hoyt House. Spoke with Myrta and quickly arranged a 3 night stay. The accommodations were excellent. We stayed in #9 the master bedroom. Very comfortable. Breakfasts were great and the staff was very friendly. Especially enjoyed talking with Myrta and Deborah. Looking forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: Pictures of rooms are online for review
Reviewed March 31, 2013

OK, not to sound crabby but when I spend $325 PER NIGHT (!) I do not expect when I arrive to be told that the only available time for breakfast the next day is 9:45 (although, to be fair, when we balked at that, they squeezed us in at 8:45) and then to overhear another diner at said breakfast being told they had no bananas for him since they were all being used for the special pancake/banana entree. Seriously, for $325 PER NIGHT(!), you should run to the corner market ASAP if you failed to have extra bananas...On the plus side, it's in a great location, our room was roomy, with plenty of extra seating, the bed was comfy & housekeeping cleaned while we were at breakfast, which is smart. Never met the owners, although we saw them around a few times, and TWO cookies given at check-in?? Now, those are some expensive cookies....

Room Tip: Our room was quiet (white noise machine in the room) & overlooked the pool, but I understand the...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
hoythouse_innkeeper, Owner at Hoyt House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Thank you for choosing The Hoyt House and for letting us know your thoughts. Our breakfast is "prepared to order" which means when the server takes your order that is when it is made "just like a restaurant". We offer breakfast by reservation so you can receive personalized attention. Yes, we place complimentary cookies and bottled water in rooms upon check-in and we offer a complimentary snack tray outside the office filled with individual packages of pretzels, chips, peanuts, & trail mix and occasional other goodies. A water cooler so guests can help themselves to hot & cold water anytime. I was unaware of your "banana" situation given that there were 4 other appetizer choices in addition to the missing bananas, my apologies.

Also, complimentary, included in your stay are newspapers, bicycles, WI-FI, computer for guest use, anytime coffee with the Keurig coffee system 24/7, satellite TV, on site parking, pool/beach towels, beach chairs/umbrellas, rain umbrellas, robes/wraps, iron/ironing board, DVD players, book & DVD library, glass of wine or beer from our private, full bar. The convenience of being downtown so you can walk to all of the shops & restaurants.

Your room was a corner room on the 1st floor with views of the outdoor pool & hot tub outfitted with a king bed, large down couch, wing back chair, 40" flat screen tv, oversized jetted tub. I am so sorry you did not see the "Value" in all that we offer.

Regards,

Myrta

Reviewed March 28, 2013

Our experience staying at the "The Hoyt House" Bed and Breakfast was awesome! One we will always remember... My fiance and I had gone to Fernindina to meet with a Wedding Coordinator to discuss our upcoming wedding in June. It had been raining all day and we decided at the last minute to try to find a place to stay. We past the "Hoyt House" and my fiance decided to turn around and see if they had anything available, and they did.. This was our first time ever staying at a "Bed and Breakfast" and we are now hooked... The warmth of the Home and Hospitality that we received from the owners we will always remember.. We enjoyed our stay so much that we have reserved the "Hoyt House" for our family to stay the entire week-end of our wedding. We highly recommend anyone to stay here:)

Room Tip: In my opinion, we saw all the rooms and they are all fantastic.... you cannot go wrong by staying in...
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Dear Myrta and Deborah, Thanks again for a great time during busy Concours week. You are both working so hard but the results speak for themselves. Great accommodations and service, wonderful breakfast and location. And love David's restaurant. Look forward to seeing you again next year for another fun and relaxing break from reality! Alan & Georgia

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Stayed in Room # 9.

The Minuses:

The bed visibly sagged in the middle and once in it we rolled into each other all night. One of the posts (right -foot) on the "luxuriously antique carved Queen Rice Bed" is broken and needs to be repaired. The head of the bed also faces a window that faces a major road / intersection / stop light which made it hard to sleep as the Harley's and other loud vehicles rolled by at all hours. There is an AC vent above the shower that blows cold air on you while you shower. It's too high up to change with out a ladder. When we received our 5 day check in e-mail from the innkeeper we replied with a question about a local sunset cruise. We never received a reply. When I called to ask about it I was told my information would be given to the Captain of said cruise, never heard from him either. We left a phone charger in our room upon leaving. When we called about it the innkeeper confirmed she had it and would charge us appropriately to mail it back. What surprised me was that we didn't receive a proactive call from the innkeeper. Expectations......

The Plusses:

Best tasting breakfast of any B&B we had on this trip including Charleston, Savannah and Jekyll Island.

The pool and hot tub area are seriously comfortable and superb!!

It's a few minute walk to the downtown where Lulu's seafood restaurant awaits you. Go there....

Debra was really nice.

1  Thank Perry R
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We recently stayed at the Hoyt House and had a wonderful time. The bed was comfortable and the amenities were perfect. I loved staying downtown and walking to restaurants. I found out from some other guests at the inn that they were going the spa at the Ritz. And it was a great thing to do while the men went to the auction. I didn't have reservations and ladies said they made their's well in advance. Myrta (one of the innkeepers) overheard us and immediately said she could try to get me in--she did! I got to get a facial and use the spa while my husband attended the auction. Thank you Myrta!! I am making my reservation for next year.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fernandina Beach
Residence Inn Amelia Island
Residence Inn Amelia Island
#1 of 12 in Fernandina Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Island-Historic Harbor Front
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Isla...
#3 of 12 in Fernandina Beach
Villas of Amelia Island Plantation
Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort
Omni Amelia Island Plantation Re...
#7 of 12 in Fernandina Beach

Been to Hoyt House Inn? Share your experiences!