“Private tour with very knowledgeable guide!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Owner description: =
Knoxville, Tennessee
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Private tour with very knowledgeable guide!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

We had a private tour which was awesome because we have a two year old, so we didn't have to worry about him disturbing the crowd. Our guide was very nice and gave us tons of information about Amelia Island. She was great with our son, taking time to tell him about pirates (which he loves) and stopping along the way to let him see the cats that were roaming around some of the old houses. We did get one photo at the cemetery that looks blurry and may have some orbs. The collection of photos that the tour guides had were very impressive, with clear faces of ghosts that you could see. The tour went longer than expected but only because my husband and I are both talkers, and the guide was gracious enough to answer all of our questions! I would definitely recommend this tour for anyone interested in hearing the history of Amelia Island and the people that used to live there.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Heather0879

Fernandina Beach, Florida
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great way to learn the history behind Amelia Island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

I first when on the ghost tour when I was in 11th grade and I must say that it is something that everyone should experience. Diane is great at what she does. She is also a very respected member of the community. Even though I am not a firm believer in ghost it was something that the entire group enjoyed doing. Most of the activities on the island are during the day so having the ghost tour at night it is a great way to end the day. Come prepared to walk but also to have a great time!

Visited June 2012
6 Thank wingatewe
Princeton, Wisconsin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Completely Ho-hum”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

While our group embarked on this venture with a combination of giddiness and skepticism, and was not anticipating a complete conversion to being believers of the paranormal, we found the entire experience to be very disappointing. Yes, Diane had a great deal of "insider" info, and many historical tidbits to share, but her style is haphazard, hard to follow and very amateurish. A well organized and historically informative presentation would have been enjoyable regardless of whether or not one believes in ghosts. I bet one could visit the historical society, pick up a few brochures and take their own walking around town for a more satisfactory tour of Fernandina. Not worth the cost!

Visited March 2013
3 Thank LindaDeCInnisfree
Miami, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Ridiculous waste of time and money”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

My husband and I decided to do this tour as a fun and unique way to learn some history of the island. We are intelligent, educated people who don't believe in ghosts, but we were looking forward to some entertaining stories after reading all of the excellent reviews on here.

Diane, the guide, was very nice and you can tell that she cares about what she does. Her "stories", however, were completely lacking and I have no idea how she gets so many great reviews. Basically at each house we learned the names of a few people who lived there, how they died (usually yellow fever), and how guests in the B&B's today say that the ghost moves their jewelry from one nightstand to another at night or knocks candlesticks off of the mantle. These were not exactly thrilling stories. There were very few stories about the people who lived there and what their lives were like - it was mostly just names and dates. More than half of the tour was wasted by everyone talking about their cameras and which kinds pick up the best images and comparing their pictures. Umm folks, the reason why your pictures look fuzzy is because it is DARK outside, not because a ghost is draining your camera battery and making your photos fuzzy.

While this was mostly a waste of a way for my husband and I to spend our wedding anniversary, we did enjoy laughing together (and trying not to be loud about it) at the ridiculous nature of our tour. We also had fun tapping each other on the shoulder, pretending to be the ghosts she was talking about.

We learned MUCH more history of the island on Amelia River Cruise - I highly recommend it. Don't waste your time on this unless you really believe in ghosts. The stories are not entertaining at all. Also, if you're looking for something to do at night, we saw several horse drawn carriage rides go past us during our ghost tour....I found myself wishing I was on one of those instead. It was Christmas time and the carriages had Christmas lights on them - very pretty!

On another note, I totally disagree with the other negative review that complained about it being a sales pitch for the B&B's. I didn't sense that at all, and she never told us about rates and availability. Diane is a genuinely nice person, but I just didn't care for her tour.

Visited December 2012
6 Thank MajinBuu
Tampa, Florida
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Get in the Spirit of the holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

I was a little skeptical about this at first. Having never experienced a ghost tour before, I wasn't sure what to expect. Our hostess was quite well-informed on the paranormal activity present about the area. Many of the homes, B&B's and places have legends and lore recounting ghostly encounters. You are encouraged to take photos, and you might capture an ethereal image if you're lucky. NOTE: for some reason iPhone cameras are especially adept at this, no clue why. Personally, I wasn't able to see or detect any of the above phenomena, but I still very much enjoyed the tour and extensive knowledge displayed by our hosts. If this is your kind of thing, you won't be disappointed

Visited November 2012