“Unclean Room!”

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Fernandina Beach
Ormond Beach, Florida
“Unclean Room!”
Reviewed October 25, 2010

I booked a two bedroom suite at this hotel for four adults and two small children about halfway from our home in Carolina enroute to Disneyworld. With the concerns about cleanliness in hotels being foremost in our minds, we wanted to stay off the major interstate route and Fernandina Beach is a familiar area to us as we used to live nearby.

Our suite was okay, nothing special, and overlooking a parking lot. The living room and kitchen were smaller than we expected but the bedrooms and bathrooms looked adequate at first glance. We had driven six hours and were all tired and ready for dinner and a good night's sleep. Moved our things into the room and took the children down for a swim in the pool. We were somewhat surprised at the number of pets and the size of them at the hotel. I hadn't noticed the pet friendly policy on the website.

We went off to dinner at a local restaurant. Came back to the room well after dark and threw back the sheets on our bed only to discover strange dots of debris all over the sheets. Lint or dirt, I couldn't determine. I brushed off the sheets and didn't dwell too much on it although I wasn't happy about it. I ignored the long dark hair I had found in the sink of our bathroom, discarding it in the toilet. The next morning when we got ready to shower, we discovered another long dark hair in the tub and a substantial dirt stain in the bottom of the tub. It fortunately washed out easily with hot water, making us think perhaps someone had used the room briefly and moved to another room. It sure looked like the housekeeping staff just hadn't realized the second bedroom had been used. In retrospect, I was appalled at the lack of cleanliness.

At breakfast the hotel was so full of people we couldn't find a place to sit down. We ended up sitting outside where the cushions on the chairs were still wet from the rain the evening before. Only the children got breakfast. We left rather annoyed. At check out, I mentioned the problems with the lack of cleanliness in the room and the desk clerk's comment was, "We hope you'll enjoy your room more on your next stay." I think NOT.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
8 Thank Salt Water Diva

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
salisbury, nc
Reviewed October 22, 2010

This is my hotel of choice when staying on the island. I have stayed at this hotel several times on vacation. It is very clean with nice accomodations. Not too far from anything but, far enough you need to drive to get almost anywhere. One word of advice, ALWAYS book online. Everytime I book online I save money. I have stopped by and spent the night and I have extended a stay and both times I was charged more than the going rate on the internet (including their own website!) Besides that everything is wonderful; the breakfast, outdoor fireplace, pool, grill, coffee, staff, and they allow pets.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank bcstein
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed October 20, 2010

I'm agreeable with other reviews here. Repeat: This place works well for a short or lengthy stay. Amenities include: full kitchen with electric stove top, pots, pans and utensils; full refrigerator/freezer. Multiple room units are available. Dinners are also provided occasionally, as well as a FL-GA tailgate party.
One questionable aspect: My Verizon cell phone had signal issues and was useless inside the hotel. Outside by the pool, Verizon cell phone reception was fine.
Biz center computer and internet connection work well. However, staff requests that clients limit their use of this connection to 15 minutes at a time.
Although on assignment 30 miles away at Kings Bay, GA, I selected this hotel location for being just 3 miles from the Atlantic Recreation Center where a 25 yard lap swimming pool is available from 6am-9am on weekday mornings. The Camden County rec center pool in Georgia was closed for maintenance in the interim so Fernandina Beach was the next closest option.
Commuting 30 miles is still just a small price to pay for staying at this gem of a property. This is my new #1 choice in this area.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Naples, Florida
Reviewed October 16, 2010

Accommodations maintained as new and clean as if you were the first occupant..The studios are a comfortable substitute for "Home"., Complimentary breakfast included. A full breakfast with plenty of options. Friendly staff. Beautiful Amelia Island Beach within a short walk away. Get up early and experience the magnificent sunrise. Multiple choices for dining in the local area. An evening stroll to the Local beach side restaurant with good food and live music is a fun ending to a full day.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed October 12, 2010

I opened the door to my 1 bedroom suite and could not believe it. It had the loveliest furnishings (nicer than my home) The room was very clean, roomy and pretty. The staff was very accommodating however I had very few requests. The buffet breakfast was good and the make it yourself waffle was delicious. I spent an entire day at the new pool. Make sure you rent the bikes and ride down to the beach!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
MM
Reviewed October 12, 2010

We had no worries for this stay. Everything was clean and well cared for. The breakfast was a plus and the receptions were a nice bonus. The housekeeping staff were helpful and seemed genuinely happy to be there. The saline pool was our favorite feature at this hotel. It was nice not to have to worry about chlorine for a change! And it was warm! The beds were comfortable. We would return in a heartbeat the next time we're in the area. It was a huge value!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Hilliard, Florida
Reviewed October 9, 2010

This hotel was a very nice place to stay. I have stayed at several other hotels and would put this one at the top of my list of places to stay. The staff was friendly. The rooms are very spacious and comfortable. The breakfast was wonderful. I will defitnitally come back for another stay.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fernandina Beach
The Seaside Amelia Inn
The Seaside Amelia Inn
#5 of 11 in Fernandina Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Island-Historic Harbor Front
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Isla...
#2 of 11 in Fernandina Beach
Villas of Amelia Island Plantation
Elizabeth Pointe Lodge
Elizabeth Pointe Lodge
#3 of 11 in Fernandina Beach
Hampton Inn Amelia Island at Fernandina Beach
Hampton Inn Amelia Island at Fer...
#8 of 11 in Fernandina Beach
Comfort Suites Oceanview Amelia Island
Comfort Suites Oceanview Amelia ...
#10 of 11 in Fernandina Beach

Been to Residence Inn Amelia Island? Share your experiences!