“best B &B experience ever!”

Amelia Island Williams House
GreenLeadersSilver level
florida
“best B &B experience ever!”
Reviewed October 6, 2009

We stayed at the Williams house for 2 nights and thoroughly enjoyed every minute. The home is exquisitely decorated and comfortable. We were greeted outside when we arrived by Byron and he immediately made us feel at home. His wife Deborah cooks the most amazing breakfasts and they are both such gracious hosts. Our room was perfect-cozy, warm and inviting. The gardens were a wonderful place to sit and have a glass of wine and we enjoyed swinging on the porch swing tremendously. We even made reservations to come back for the Christmas holidays! We have been to many B & B's throughout the country, but this by far was the best stay we have had thus far.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed October 3, 2009

We loved our trip to Amelia Island and our stay at the Williams House. Deborah and Byron are great. They had awesome recommendations for dinners and lunches and all were within walking distance of the inn. The inn is beautiful and the breakfast was delicious every day. Deborah will even make adjustments to her recipes if there is something you can't eat or if you're just "picky" like me. Definitely on our return list of places to go.

West Palm Beach, FL
Reviewed September 30, 2009

Byron and Deb were most gracious and attentive hosts, providing for our every need. Our room was very comfortable and well appointed. The breakfasts were superb. This is a perfect spot for a relaxing time away from it all. We look forward to our next visit

Gainesville
Reviewed September 24, 2009

I took this trip to get away for the weekend. My husband did not know about it. I chose
Williams House because of all the high reviews. It's a beautiful house and decorated well. I pulled up and had to ring the door bell several times, no one answered and so I called to tell them I was here and was trying to check in. Bryon open to door and never greeted my husband and I. He said "Sign the guest book there", and then as he was walking into a room he said "Do you want to pay for the balance on the same card". I thought it was really rude and uncomfortable that he ask for money the moment I stepped into the door. I didn't even get a tour or anything. So then he walks us into the little house because I got the Catherine's Room (big room with Jacuzzi). He said whoever gets up first in the morning please turn on the coffee pot upstairs. Umm, Why should I have to turn on the coffee pot. Shouldn't they be responsible for making sure coffee is ready for the guests. So then I ordered chocolate covered strawberries and Champagne for us. Well it was presented very well, but the strawberries were not very green and fresh. I paid $20.00 for 6 regular sized strawberries that were mushy and not fresh. What I total waste that was, because they were not good. I ate them because I did not want to wast $20.oo. Breakfast is served between 9-10am. It was about 8:30 and we were walking around checking things out and my husband wanted a cup of coffee or tea. So we went into the main house seeing if he could get one of those. One of the in keepers came out from the kitchen an said "Oh did you want to eat early" My husband said no, I wanted to see if I could get a cut of coffee. She said oh are you in the little house? We were. She said oh if you go up stairs there's a coffee pot and you can turn if on. It was poor service. Again I did not feel welcomed. So we then went to Starbucks and came back to eat breakfast. We sat down to eat breakfast and it was very good, but a very heavy on the sweets. I was never offered any juice, so my husband had to get up and pour me some. We had a bowel of fruit with some pumpkin bread then a heavy strawberry french toast. I ate all but a half of the second piece of toast and Bryon comment in a sarcastic way stating " Is that the best you can do". I was very insulted and again did not feel welcomed. I knew I would not be back for breakfast the next day. I would not come back to stay in their house. Went to the beach and checked out the Elizabeth Point Lodge because my husband has stayed there before. I walked into the door and they were so happy to see anyone who walked into the door. What a beautiful place. Windows open with ocean breeze blowing through. People rocking drinking lemonade and reading. I know there were great review for Williams House and thats why I chose it, but I did not like it.
PS: the Jacuzzi is a pain to turn on and off. My husband is strong and still had a hard time operating the switches.

2 Thank Vacy
dmccutchen, Owner at Amelia Island Williams House, responded to this review, September 26, 2009
We have a consistent check-in process that was followed with this guest. It includes requesting guests to sign our guest book, concluding payment, discussing wine hour, breakfast timing, door lock codes, location of coffee makers, refrigerators, ice, location of menus, restaurant guide, review of local map, discussion of select registry guide book and any dietary needs. In addition this guest requested and was provided information for sports bar locations so they could follow the Florida football game.
At check in guests are in the common areas including the great hall, dining room and parlor.Some guests request tours of empty guest rooms and we are happy to provide them at convenient times. No such request was made by this guest.
We have provided coffee makers in all three houses. They are avialable 24/7 and preset with filtered water and coffee. Originally we turned them on at 7:30 am but have found that guests vary from needing coffee at 5:30am to 9pm, so we let the guests start coffee at their liesure by flipping a switch. We monitor them regularly and feel it provides the greatest ease and flexibility to satisfy differing guest needs. Coffee, tea and other beverages are available and offered to guests at breakfast. If someone is missed or changes their mind about beverages a simple request to any of our staff as we are serving and moving about the dining areas would certainly insure meeting their needs.
All special amenities are made by Deborah with fresh ingredients. Strawberries are hand selected to make sure they are large enough and of proper quality for dipping in chocolate. We know these strawberries were fresh and were made on the day of arrival. This guest was unsure of when they wanted delivery.They called during half time and provided us with five minutes notice of their desire for the strawberries and champagne. We responded as requested. Generally we get to spend personal time with guests during our wine hour social and discuss dining options, how their day has gone and answer any questions. These guests chose not to attend and therefore didn't have as much opportunity for personal interaction with both innkeepers and other guests.
We alternate sweet and savory breakfasts to balance the enjoyment and differing tastes of guests. We also make special meals if advised ahead of time. Deborah had a personal discussion with these guests after the first morning breakfast and they gave no indiction of any dissatisfaction with breakfast or any other aspect of their stay. We prepared breakfast for them on the second day as well not realizing they had no plans to join us.
We truly work hard at fulfilling guest needs and help them enjoy their visit. No mention of any dissatisfaction was made to ourselves of staff. They did not attend breakfast the second day, stop in to check out or leave us the key. Our first insight of any issues was from a response card left in their room. Since everything seemed fine the morning before we had no idea they were having difficulty. We will always respond to any issue guests may have, but obviously can't respond to what we are not given an opportunity to resolve.
Bucks County, PA
Reviewed September 22, 2009

Decided last minute to get away for a few days for our anniversary, saw the high rating here and called Debra to see what was still available. She offered a charming room on the second floor of their "second" house that was everything the pictures made it out to be. The property and setting are lovely and historic (mid-1800s). Rooms are furnished with loving care and modern amenities. Wonderful breakfasts -- we had to get out early on Sunday and the owners got up a little early so we could get on the road in time. Amelia Island itself is a wonderful destination and we will be returning within the next year to see more of what we missed. Williams House will be our first call!

Tampa, FL
Reviewed September 9, 2009

We stay at B&B's all the time. This had to be one of the best. They upgraded our room for free and the service, along with the location and cuisine was impeccable. We can't wait to come back again!

Jacksonville, FL
Reviewed August 26, 2009

The staff was friendly and helpful and the food was excellent. There was a lot to do on Amelia Island, more than we expected. Camping, hiking, sightseeing, tours, shopping, dining, swimming, surfing, etc. etc. We enjoyed our trip very much and would happily return again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
The Seaside Amelia Inn
The Seaside Amelia Inn
#5 of 12 in Fernandina Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Island-Historic Harbor Front
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Isla...
#3 of 12 in Fernandina Beach
Elizabeth Pointe Lodge
Elizabeth Pointe Lodge
#2 of 12 in Fernandina Beach
Villas of Amelia Island Plantation
Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort
Omni Amelia Island Plantation Re...
#7 of 12 in Fernandina Beach

Been to Amelia Island Williams House? Share your experiences!