“Okay, nothing special”

The Oyster House Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Oyster House Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children, Kids, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Memphis, Tennessee
“Okay, nothing special”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

My husband and I love good seafood, and I would not say that this establishment has good seafood. It was ok for a quick lunch, but I would not go here for dinner when there are so many other good places in town.
We were seated right away, by a courteous person. Our server arrived quckly. We ordered a beer and a glass of wine, and started to look over the menu. When the server came back, she never mentioned anything about specials, so we thought that they must not have any.
I had the New England Clam Chowder to start. It was very thick. Tasted ok, but a bit too much potato. I then had the Pan Seared Grouper which comes on a green salad with tropical salsa. My husband ordered the Gator basket, fried. The Grouper salad is allegedly a house specialty, and the chef went up against Bobby Flay on his show. I am assuming that Bobby Flay easily won the challenge. I couldn't find the fish under all of the super sweet, pineappley salsa. When i finally decided to just scrape it all off, there was a pretty small average tasting piece of fish on greens that were on the tough side. My husband stated that his gator was ok, but a bit overcooked. We did not have any dessert. Service was fine. Only had to flag her down once.
As we were leaving however, we noticed a sign by the front desk that we had not seen on arrival (because we were seated so quickly). It clearly stated several lunch specials. We were dismayed, because we would have ordered completely different meals. The server should have asked if we had seen the board. Not good. We won't go again.

• Visited February 2013
4 Thank hmcrn2

• Polish first
New England - USA
“Okay But Not Memorable”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I had heard about this restaurant. My friends raved about it, so I was prepared for a great experience. I had an okay experience, but not great. I ordered the frogs legs with sweet potato patties and hush puppies. The fried frogs legs were actually pretty good, but they arrived just a shade above cold (tepid-warm), and I had waited a long time for my order to arrive so I didn't send them back; I ate them anyway. The hush puppies and sweet potato patties were very good, and warmer than the frogs legs, but not piping hot. The service was average, not fast, and the waitress disappeared for long stretches so I was unable to ask for anything else. As a result, I didn't bother with dessert. I guess it was just one of their off days. Other people at my table had the same problem. Their food was not served hot either. Yes, it was busy, but I had heard that this restaurant was good at serving their food hot and fast, so I was disappointed. I would be willing to give it another try if I happen to be in the area again, as the food itself wasn't bad. It just took a long time coming and it wasn't served hot.

• Visited February 2013
Clemmons, NC
“An Oasis in Paradise”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We ate here twice during our week in Everglades... large portions or I am just too old to eat that much... first class food in everything we ordered .. this marks the spot we had our first Gator-bits ... tried not say "it tastes like chicken" realizing it was more like Calamari, we thought ,,, good service, even a tad chilly, so take a sweater in

Visited January 2013
Newcastle Upon tyne
“Good atmosphere and service”
Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed our meal here, a special grilled fish platter, with a Stone Crab starter.
There was a party going on in the bar but this didn't distract our waitress, who was very attentive and helpful.

London, United Kingdom
“Great food and service above and beyond”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We went to this restaurant as my husband likes seafood but I am a vegetarian! This was not a problem for the staff at all. Kelly Baker took time and trouble to find out what I eat and spoke to the owner who also came over and asked what he can prepare for me. Instead of offering me a salad, he prepared a great cheese and mushroom omelette. It was really great to get freshly cooked food after a long day of sightseeing....Food ordered by other people in our group was great and plentiful!
The food, staff and great atmospshere of the restaurant is highly recommended.

• Visited December 2012