I had to book the cottage as there was no room available for 5 nights. For the price and location I expected better furnishings. The coffee pot was cheap and leaked and the living area was furnished with a microscopic tv. It was quite basic but I must say, very clean. I was with my mother who enjoyed breakfast every day. The WIFI did not work well throughout the property and this included the cottage.
Though I am a smoker, I am accustomed to smoking outside. However there are signs and papers you have to sign saying that you will smoke ONLY around the block, across the street in a parking lot, on a bench of shame, or be charged $250.00 per event. They make you sign an agreement to this after you give them your credit card. I found that to be punitive as we had rented a cottage away from everyone else and it would not have bothered anyone if I smoked in the driveway of the cottage.
I signed up for the kayak trip, and had to sign a few pages of legalese saying that no matter what happened on the trip, I had absolutely no right to sue anyone. I would not have, but I resented the blanket protection they insist on, as if I had no rights whatsoever, and they had no responsibility. I have kayaked etc and never had to sign away my firstborn to take a simple trip. It gives you a bad feeling about how they view their customers.
There are other rules about towel use etc that you do not encounter elsewhere. Frankly, I think that most people use common sense and try to be good guests and that it is insulting to be told exactly how to be a good guest.
Anyway, kudos to the cleaning staff and breakfast staff and the staff who mailed me the book I forgot, but next time, I will likely stay elsewhere. I do love the Everglades.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the magic of this secret paradise located in the heart of historic Everglades City. The Inn is the first Florida Certified Green Lodging in Collier County and features free WiFi, a scrumptious breakfast, a relaxing pool, and a friendly staff available to assist you easy access into unique and breathtaking areas of Everglades National Park. For 30 years the Harraden family has provided travelers ways to explore this World Treasure. Make a Dream Vacation Your Reality! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Priceline, Cancelon and Hotwire so you can book your Ivey House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ivey House Hotel Everglades City
- Ivey House Everglades City, Florida