“Poor Choice for Lunch”

Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Manitoulin Island, Canada
“Poor Choice for Lunch”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

My wife and I, with another couple, stopped at this restaurant for lunch. Without a doubt, this was the worst mistake of our vacation in Florida. The service was poor right from the time you entered the building where we waited one half an hour for a table. Upon getting into the restaurant, we discovered that there were all kinds of tables available with no reason to keep people waiting.. After a long wait for the waitress to come to our table we finally ordered what were relatively simple meals. None of the meals were hot when they came to our table and the seafood did not seem to be fresh. I had the barbequed shrimp that just seemed to be shrimp on a stick dipped in sauce. The shrimp had a taste that did not seem natural to me.

All of the meals were poor and the place seems to be just badly managed. I had the impression that the management simply felt that the chances of any customer coming back for a repeat meal was very unlikely and so it did not matter what was provided for the meal.

This was the worst meal we have every had while travelling and management needs to be made aware of how bad the service and food was..

1 Thank 2013Manitoulin

NSB FL & BR GA
“Gets Worse Every Year”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I have traveled to Everglades City with my husband multiple times per year for each of the 13 years we have been married. The Seafood Depot is often one of only a handful of restaurants open for dinner, particularly in off season. Many years ago, the food was average to even good on occasion. Each year it seems to go further downhill. Over the years they have stopped serving bread, stopped serving baked potatoes, the salad bar has suffered and now they have taken the all you can eat stone crab claws from the weekly seafood buffet away as well. The stone crabs were a big draw and probably the only reason many people still ate there. I can honestly say that I have not had a good meal in this restaurant in years.

Our most recent visit I ordered a "fajita" salad. If you want to add any type of meat to it, that is an extra charge. Not sure how you can call it a fajita salad without meat, but whatever---as I mentioned, limited dining options in town. The meat I paid extra for was four little strips of chewy chicken with ZERO seasoning, not even salt. The salad was terrible and I would have been happier with cheese and crackers for dinner. Service was also very lacking even though they were not busy.

I know it has to be difficult to have a successful restaurant in an area that is so dependent upon seasonal visitors. The Seafood Depot is in a very cool historic building right on the water. It used to be so much better. It is a shame, but they appear to be on a downward spiral.

1 Thank flgatorgirl
Modesto, CA
“The Food Was Just OK”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

My wife and I ate dinner here. I had the prime rib special with the salad bar. The prime rib was just average. The salad bar is limited, but does feature peel and eat shrimp. My wife had a coconut shrimp and alligator nugget combo. She thought it was just average. The place is charming with giant wood beams and a great view of the water.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank DrDadrwp
Bonita Springs, Florida
“No value here”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We ate in the outside bar area at a early hour, 4:00 P.M. The bartender seemed more interested in visiting with her "local freiends" then actually working. The food was lukewarm and not much of it for the price.

1 Thank Bill F
Greensboro, NC
“Just okay”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

The salad bar which included you peel shrimp was nice with a large verity to select from. The food at the chicken buffet bar was only lukewarm. Lukewarm fried okra, mash potatoes and gravy, etc., is not very appetizing. The best part of our dining experience was the Fried Green Tomatoes and the Key Lime Pie.

• Visited January 2014