“Overrated”

Captain Steve's Swamp Buggy Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: Me and my family are 6th gen.Gladesman and would love to show you the Big Cypess National Preserve the largest subtropical swamp in the USA where plants and animals grow and live no where else in the world.See the elusive Panther,black bear,wading birds,deer,its a photo opurtunitie of a life time.Call and talk with me and lets plan a trip.I LOVE MY JOB!!
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed June 4, 2012

This trip was overpriced. I have been on other swamp buggy tours for much less and expected more from this one because it was so expensive and was sadly disappointed. The captain although he was nice was not very knowledgable and this made for a long ride through the everglades.

3  Thank Traveler112987
BuggyTours, Owner at Captain Steve's Swamp Buggy Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

I understand not enjoying the tour i wish you would of been honest about the price 100.00 per adult but your two kids where free deer and alligators are what the Glades are made of i wish you would of let me know while on the ride you where so disappointed.Captain Steve

There are newer reviews for Captain Steve's Swamp Buggy Adventures

Reviewed May 27, 2012

My hubby and I recently had the pleasure of taking a swamp buggy adventure with Capt. Steve. He is delightful and quite knowledgeable about Big Cypress. A swamp buggy ride is not a fast paced thrill ride (go for a airboat ride if that is more your style ;) but it is a great way to get up close and personal with the flora and fauna of this unique ecosystem. We saw white tail deers, various types of marine birds (egrets, herons etc.) a huge hawk and a couple of good size gators. We saw many gators beside the road on the way there (Highway 41 - Tamiami highway - we were driving East to west and there is a canal beside the road that is just full of gators, there in not many places to pull off the road to take pix but it was still fun to go gator spotting) but I digress... Steve is a lifelong resident of the area so he knows a lot of history of the area and is really good at spotting animals that we may have otherwise missed. It was a very interesting ride. He will stop frequently to tell stories or point out something interesting. Sometimes it felt like we were in one spot a bit too long for no apparent reason other than he was taking a smoke break, but no harm no foul, the other couple we were touring with were fun and great to talk to, too. We were there the third week of May and it was quite toasty and the mosquitoes were out in full force. We brought bug repellant and sunscreen with us which we put to good use. (also, wear a hat!) Steve was also prepared with bug spray and water for the group. I would definitely recommend this tour for those who enjoy experiencing the road less traveled and getting to know a local character with personality to spare :). ps - LADIES - there are NO bathroom facilities on this tour, when Steve recommends that you use the park "facilities" where you turn to meet up with him, DO IT! They are not fancy potties, but it beats the heck out of finding a tree on the tour ;)

1  Thank timbach62
Reviewed May 5, 2012

We had the most amazing trip with Captain Steve. We had never been to Big Cypress but were so glad we took this trip. Captain Steve was so knowledgeable and passionate about Big Cypress. He was happy to stop anytime and let us take pictures or to answer our many questions. He was great with our 10 year old daughter and kept her engaged. Our tour was over 4 hours and we only saw one other vehicle in the entire time we were out. We learned so much and cannot wait to take another trip with Captain Steve.

Reviewed May 2, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our 4 hour tour with Captain Steve! We've taken guests on airboat tours before, but were looking for something new & different & longer. This was certainly different as the sights are of a different type of ecosystem than you see from an airboat. I felt like we were the only people in the world while we were out there. It was a rainy day and rained on us the whole time, but the raincoats and covered buggy were sufficient. It was beautiful out there anyway (and wasn't 90 degrees!) We saw a ton of white-tailed deer throughout the 4 hours, but not really any other wildlife (although the tree frogs came out and made a racket for us!) I highly recommend this trip. Note that if you go before rainy season starts, you won't be standing in the swamp like in some of these pictures.

Reviewed April 20, 2012

I did not know what to expect when I chose to take the buggy ride through the swamp but I kept an open mind because I love the outdoors and it was really for my son to experience. Getting off of the highway I could tell that this was going to be a nice wilderness experience. After a few main roads you then drive on dirt roads for miles depending on what direction you are coming from. Otis was the buggy operator and he had a great sense of humor and was very knowledgeable about all of the plants and animals as well as the history of the reserve. I learned alot and my son had a blast. We saw a few deer and different types of birds and plants but no bears or panthers. We did see panther tracks though and that alone was a wake up call for me as to how real this experience was. We also got to see one of the camp ground areas and I do know that I will be camping in the reserve someday after learning that Captain Steve also does camping trips. It was a 4hr journey and Otis stopped whenever we wanted him to and could answer the majority of our questions. It was the dry season when we went so there was not alot of standing water where there should have been but it was ok because we got to experience the dry aspects of the reserve. 4hrs seems like a long time but if this is something that interests you the time will fly and I think its well worth the price because small kids are free. Just make sure to take plenty of snacks and beverages. Cant wait to go again in the wet season :-)

1  Thank 247HardWorker