“What a FUN day, even in the rain!”

Captain Steve's Swamp Buggy Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: Me and my family are 6th gen.Gladesman and would love to show you the Big Cypess National Preserve the largest subtropical swamp in the USA where plants and animals grow and live no where else in the world.See the elusive Panther,black bear,wading birds,deer,its a photo opurtunitie of a life time.Call and talk with me and lets plan a trip.I LOVE MY JOB!!
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed May 2, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our 4 hour tour with Captain Steve! We've taken guests on airboat tours before, but were looking for something new & different & longer. This was certainly different as the sights are of a different type of ecosystem than you see from an airboat. I felt like we were the only people in the world while we were out there. It was a rainy day and rained on us the whole time, but the raincoats and covered buggy were sufficient. It was beautiful out there anyway (and wasn't 90 degrees!) We saw a ton of white-tailed deer throughout the 4 hours, but not really any other wildlife (although the tree frogs came out and made a racket for us!) I highly recommend this trip. Note that if you go before rainy season starts, you won't be standing in the swamp like in some of these pictures.

All reviews
"the real deal"
"enjoyable trip"
"take photos"

Reviewed April 20, 2012

I did not know what to expect when I chose to take the buggy ride through the swamp but I kept an open mind because I love the outdoors and it was really for my son to experience. Getting off of the highway I could tell that this was going to be a nice wilderness experience. After a few main roads you then drive on dirt roads for miles depending on what direction you are coming from. Otis was the buggy operator and he had a great sense of humor and was very knowledgeable about all of the plants and animals as well as the history of the reserve. I learned alot and my son had a blast. We saw a few deer and different types of birds and plants but no bears or panthers. We did see panther tracks though and that alone was a wake up call for me as to how real this experience was. We also got to see one of the camp ground areas and I do know that I will be camping in the reserve someday after learning that Captain Steve also does camping trips. It was a 4hr journey and Otis stopped whenever we wanted him to and could answer the majority of our questions. It was the dry season when we went so there was not alot of standing water where there should have been but it was ok because we got to experience the dry aspects of the reserve. 4hrs seems like a long time but if this is something that interests you the time will fly and I think its well worth the price because small kids are free. Just make sure to take plenty of snacks and beverages. Cant wait to go again in the wet season :-)

1  Thank 247HardWorker
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Should be a discount for off season. $100 per person is a lot to see a couple of deer, one small alligator in a puddle, and some very dead orchids. Swamp was nonexistent . Our guide was knowable and very friendly but did not have much to work with. We could barley fill two hours so stopped the tour early.

4  Thank molly527
BuggyTours, Owner at Captain Steve's Swamp Buggy Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

A few deer and a alligator are what a lot of people want to see you was in the middle of the swamp there are dry season and the swamp is dry.everyone sees the glades in a different way sometimes things don't look like they do in a magazine as far as 100.00 per adult you forgot to mention that your kids didn't have to pay.I'll work harder to make a more enjoyable tour thanks for the review.I LOVE MY JOB

Reviewed March 30, 2012

While the marsh was quite dry because of the time of year (March) it was still a very enjoyable ride because the guide was very knowledgeable about the animals and plants.

The bugs were virtually nonexistent as well.

Great photos, great time, would do it again..but after a rain storm so as to get a better "swamp" experience.

2  Thank onebigfellah
See more reviews
Reviewed March 27, 2012

We want to highly recommend Captain Steve (and Otis) and thank them for a fantastic day in the Everglades. These friendly guides are true "Gladesmen" and really know so much about the area - its wildlife, plants and landscape. We were thrilled to see deer, snakes, and alligators and were so happy to be given the opportunity to stop and take photos. We were most impressed when our Captain Steve was called to help...a family that booked with "the other guys" was stuck in the mud (literally) - so glad we didn't spend our day that way! We will definitely be booking a tour next year - and, as promised, we will be visiting the giant Cypress tree in the area. Thanks again for a great day and sharing your knowledge with us!