“Ten Thousand Islands Boat Tour - pleasant experience”

Everglades National Park Boat Tours
Ranked #12 of 33 Tours in Everglades City
Escondido, California
68 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 290 helpful votes
“Ten Thousand Islands Boat Tour - pleasant experience”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

I'm disappointed that they don't have these boat tours broken down by the different tours because they are extremely different. We took the tour of the 10,000 Islands which was on a larger boat and went out almost all the way to the Gulf. Our tour was at 9:30am and left on time. We were joined by a National Park Ranger. Apparently, they do not always have a park ranger on board these tours, so it may be of value to ask if one will be on your tour. It might be random, so if you book well in advance, you might not be able to plan that.

It was nice having the park ranger and he discussed the water and salinity of it and how the fresh water and salt water meet in this area. However, its my understanding that the concession staff also give a guided tour, so perhaps you don't necessarily miss a lot if you aren't with a ranger. What I was disappointed in is I guess I expected a little more discussion of the history of the area, the islands, etc... just maybe MORE. We were lucky enough to see 2 seconds of a manatee coming up for air, which was VERY exciting for me as I had hoped to see a manatee in the wild during this trip. We also saw some dolphins, but I thought it was pretty silly when the boat kind of chased them around trying to see them. Of course, I've seen a zillion dolphins, so maybe for the other guests on the boat, that was exciting.

Overall, it's a nice tour. It's not exciting, but you get a feel for the area and you get out on the water... I love a boat trip! I think they should bulk up the info they provide, but otherwise, the staff was really great and they made a real effort to spot and point out wildlife.

Visited April 2012
9 Thank ladyjadegd

New Jersey
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Thousand islands tour”
Reviewed May 20, 2012

Good boat tour in the thousand islands area of Everglades National Park. The captain did a good job narrating and we saw some dolphins and many birds along with the mangroves.

2 Thank TfJersey
denver, Colorado
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Good Trip, horrible booking,”
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Trust the reviews, don't do this unless you have extremely flexible times.
I 'booked' for 9am on Wed.. they sent me an email confirming me for 3pm that day. That was not an option for me, no refund, they could book me the next afternoon when 4 of the 5 of us could go. We did that.

Guide was knowledgeable and helped us spot Bald Eagles, Manatee, Lots of Osprey including chicks and Adults carrying fish. He also explained the different mangroves etc. Was nice and good with kids.
We did the 6 person Mangrove Boat (not the bigger 10,000 islands boat)
He didn't know quite as much as he thought though... (You can't see manatees on the airboat tour.. we did)

We did do an airboat tour in the same day.. they had a lot of overlap, but were both enjoyable... you can't get much info from the guide on the airboat tour.. but it is more fun...would have been better to do the National Park tour first... so we would have known more on the Airboat Ride.

2 Thank caseynshan
Pawtucket, Rhode Island, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great nature and bird watching. Up close with dolphins but no gators.”
Reviewed March 30, 2012

Six passengers were guided through the mangroves by Paul, a knowledgeable and personable host.. We were in a Boston whaler and began in salt water where dolphins frolicked in the boat's wake. We then headed up river where we saw all sorts of birds and eventually entered a small stream that was encompassed by mangrove growth.

Paul answered our questions about everything and peppered his comments with humor. I'd recommend this tour.

1 Thank Dorotea W
Burlington, Canada
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Cool!!!”
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Having seen manatees earlier in the day off the peir in Naples we thought we were cool with them. Wow, when the calf first surfaced near our canoe we thought that was amazing but then it came up again shortly after right by the boat and rolled over onto its side. The park and the Rangers are a great intro to the Everglades. We came away awestruck by the tranquility of the area and the ability to commune with nature.

1 Thank leep6802