“Overwhelmed with Awe!”

Tour The Glades - Private Wildlife Tours
Ranked #1 of 34 Tours in Everglades City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Tour The Glades is the Only exclusively Private tour operator in the Everglades! Quality instead of quantity is our goal...which means our guests receive 100% of our attention. We can only do one (maybe two) trips per day which makes each one very special. This approach is better for the environment and hands down the best way to explore the Everglades....just you and your own personal guide. We provide tours year round and all excursions are led by Native Naturalist Guides that provide EVERYTHING you'll need. Fresh seasonal fruit, cold bottled water and all the necessities are included. You won't need to purchase any additional items because we've thought of everything! We are priced the same as the group tour companies but only do Private Tours because Private is Best. You are our #1 priority.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed December 24, 2013

We booked this tour after a cruise from Miami. Drove straight out to the Tourist Center to meet up with Tod. We arrived early for our 2pm meet time. Four of us (2 couples) followed him to the kayak launch point just a little way up the road. Tod puts you in the kayak and sends you off - we did tandems. The 3.5 hours went by so fast. If you are worried at all that this will be exerting - don't! It's nothing at all. Could have easily done another tour back to back. It's a slow tour through the mangroves and you will see some amazing animals. We saw gators, egrets, blue heron, kingfishers, beetles, mullets jumping up out of the water over and over, and even a turtle. It was a pretty awesome view with the water acting as a mirror over the mangroves - it looked like a whole other world beneath us - something surreal. You just wanted to stop and drink it all in. And the water is very shallow - only about 2 feet deep in some areas. When we started getting bit, Tod had bug spray for us. We stopped and he fed us oranges and chocolate and had water - if you needed it.
At one point my husband spotted something lying beneath the water on the canal floor. Curious, we went back to get it and pulled up a hat! When we caught up to Tod - showed him what we had found. Guess what? It was HIS hat! He said he had lost it a few weeks back and had been looking all over for it. So that was pretty cool! We forgot to get a picture though! (so Tod - if you are reading this - you need to send or post a pic of yourself with the lost hat!) We rode with it laying on the back of our kayak the whole trip - I'll post a pic if I can find a good one. Anyway, we definitely thought this tour was the highlight of our trip and will definitely book another with Tod when we get back to this area.

All reviews
in 18 reviews
"great pictures"
"took pictures"
in 10 reviews
"highly recommend this trip"

Reviewed December 17, 2013

We were lucky to have Tod as our guide to hidden treasures of Everglades by kayaking. We started few hours before the sunset & ended up right with the sunset. Everything was amazing - Tod himself having a passion for Everglades & the ability to share his passion; the Everglades & its habitants; unity with your party learning how to manage the kayak. Definately among the best memories of the Year.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

My husband and I did the sunset tour with Tod for my husband's birthday. We had the best time. We only saw one other person the entire 4 hours we were out. The setting was so peaceful. Tod is an amazing guide and gave us an experience to remember and went above and beyond to make this trip special. We are still talking about it and plan to return as soon as we can. If you plan to be in the area, do yourself a favor and book this tour!

Reviewed November 28, 2013

I had a blast Kayaking with Tod. He only does private tours, and I was alone, so we were alone the entire 4.5 hours kayaking in the beautiful Everglades. It was so serene. I was in Everglades City for 2 full days and it was by far the best experience.

Skip the airboats. They're incredibly noisy. What animal do you know that would stay around that kind of noise? If it's nature you want to see, this is the way to do it.

Tod will take you through the lake and all the “invisible” tunnels that lead to other parts of the lake. It’s so much fun to navigate through the area. And Tod does it with such ease, it’s actually a pleasure to watch him glide through with such little effort. His knowledge of the area and wildlife is like the stuff you see on TV with the guide making noises to attract animals.

We saw several types of birds, and of course, about 3-4 alligators, some very up close and personal. It was almost startling to see how close they were. But at no time did I ever feel unsafe, even with this being my first real kayaking attempt. He kept both of us in full control at all times. Just before turning around and going back, we had a little snack of oranges & chocolate (yes they go well together) and water.

Tod doesn’t just care about your outing. He cares a lot about the area. He gave me recommendations of the best places to eat, and they really were the best. I sampled many restaurants there, and the 2 that he recommended were really excellent. He also recommended other things to do in the area including where and when to go to see the most wildlife.

Because he only does private tours, and I was alone, I was afraid I was hurting his business. But he was more than happy to accommodate me. You can just tell that he loves what he does. It’s not just about money for him. He loves his job and he loves sharing with you. I had a great time.