“SUBLIME, SPECTACULAR,@ SAFE”

Tour The Glades - Private Wildlife Tours
Ranked #3 of 33 Tours in Everglades City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Contact Number: +1 239-260-4577 Website Address: http://www.tourtheglades.com Tour The Glades - Private Wildlife Tours is the Only all inclusive Private tour operator in the Everglades! Quality instead of quantity is our goal...which means our guests receive 100% of our attention. We can only do one (maybe two) trips per day which makes each one very special. This approach is better for the environment and hands down the best way to explore the Everglades & 10,000 Islands....just you and your own personal guide. Come with us in search of Alligator, Manatee, Black Bear, playful Dolphin and even the elusive Florida Panther! The Everglades is also a Birder's Paradise and we'll help you get your target species. We provide tours year round and all excursions are led by Local Naturalist Guides that provide EVERYTHING you'll need. Fresh fruit, cold bottled water and all the necessities are included. You won't need to purchase any additional items because we've thought of everything! Private is BEST because YOU are our #1 priority.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Bill wanted wilderness hiking, I wanted kayaking. He wanted up close and personal with gators, I wanted serenity with a dash of adventure. Neither of us wanted bumping with the bumbling with a crowd of people on the water. We both wanted safe. And please make that an affordable price. YEAH... THAT'S GONNA HAPPEN. Well....IT DID with Todd. The evening kayak started in daylight, so we saw everything on the river, the twilight portion was so serene and peaceful, the night was Halloween spooky in a fun way. I am 55 year old woman. So ladies, GO FOR IT! I LIVED TO TELL THE TALE. GREAT PARTY STORY, TOO. Todd , Thank you so much. Kathy

3  Thank KATHY N
"his passion"
"great pictures"
"saw dolphins"
in 16 reviews
"highly recommend this trip"

Reviewed October 2, 2012

I wanted a great experience in the Everglades and carefully researched the tours available. My husband and I were just delighted with our trip with Todd of Tour the Glades (www.tourtheglades.com). He is the owner/operated and has an obvious passion and extensive knowledge of the area. Far from a typical "tour", the whole trip was tailored for us. We selected the 6-hour "Journey to the 10,000 Islands". We meandered through the thick mangroves while Todd told stories of the Calusa and Seminole Indians, Spanish explorers and Andrew Jackson's attempts to subdue the inhabitants, and I felt like the first explorer! Flocks of Ibis thundered into the air at times, and eagles called overhead. The mangroves were filled with birds, bromeliads and orchids, and a few reclusive alligators. We paddled to an island built by the Indians from shell, and explored an old cemetery from early settlers. After 6 hours, we were happy to see the powerboat that would take us back to camp, but we were just getting started! Capt. Rodney Raffield picked us up and pulled out the fishing rods! What a prince of a guy! We "baited up" and fished in his "special spots" and quickly caught snook, trout and lady fish! Don't worry - he'll even bait your hook and take the fish off! We had a blast! Back at the dock, Todd cleaned our trout, and suggested we take them to the "Seafood Depot" restaurant where they would cook our fish and serve them with salad and side dishes. As weary as we were, we headed into town. The fish was serve blackened and grilled, and was delicious! I only regretted we couldn't eat all the fish! It had been a fabulous adventure and an experience we'll never forget. Like I said, what a day!

Reviewed September 15, 2012

I wanted to go where no car could take me, to see, touch and hear the everglades in it's real state. I wanted an adventure, but I wanted to feel safe. Having Tod as our private guide was all of that at an affordable price. He is warm, personable and knowledgeable. The first thing he said was that he would keep us safe from the alligators. He did. He knew their habits and their habitat.

Although I was quite familiar with a canoe I had never kayaked. I was afraid of swamping myself next to an alligator never to return. Tod gave easy instructions. Don't lean and if you run into the mangroves just push away. I got the hang of it quickly. It was easy and I ran into the mangroves many times without incident. Use your canoeing "j" stroke to steer.

My biggest fears out of the way, on to the adventure. Very close to the beginning of the entry point is a rookery. Take your time here. There is more than enough time for everything. There are so many varieties of birds all roosting in the same area. When we were there in May the little ones had crazy looking feathers sticking straight up from their heads with their big, bulging eyes. Blue herons and green herons. We were so close. The birds were not scared. This was the most awesome view.

We continued on. The long roots of the mangroves reflected in the water. It was hard to capture the beauty with the camera. Tod provides a waterproof box that you can put any of your valuables in for safe keeping. I started out with my camera in the box, but by the time we reached the rookery, I spent the rest of the experience with the camera around my neck snapping away gathering memories.

He showed us a place in the grass where a gator had gone in to make a nest. He's well informed and interesting. You can tell Tod likes people and he likes adventure. He used to produce a couple of reality TV shows. You can ask him about this yourself. In spite of his Hollywood work, he's humble, earthy and the nature type.

Tod knew it was our anniversary. He made this a special trip providing us with cut up melon and a bottle of champagne as we reached the clearing. We toasted to the sunset and relaxed in this calm, wide space to watch the sun go down and the sky light up.

We strapped on the headlamps and made our way back. Tod provided the headlamps, bug spray if needed and netting to wear over our heads. In the winter months there are no mosquitoes, in the summer months, there are many mosquitoes. We were there in mid season. We only had to wear the netting when going through the mangroves.

During the first set of mangroves that were wide and spacious I led. Tod led for the next two, shining a large spot well ahead giving the gators plenty of room to slip away before we arrived. We could see the glowing white eyes of spiders settling in for the evening. We paused in an open area looking up at the stars in one of the darkest areas in the US far away from city lights. It was spectacular.

We spotted one gator in the pitch dark, its eyes and snout illuminated by the spot light. Tod was able to keep it's attention as we got closer by making a clucking sound that the baby alligators make. It was a beautiful sight.

I felt extremely comfortable with Tod. He's flexible and accommodating. There's a customizable adventure for everyone. This is highly recommended privately guided tour into the wilderness.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

We have to agree 100% with the all the positive reviews of this tour. My wife and me visited the Everglades during the labor day weekend and were initially booked to take this tour in the evening. When it came time for the tour, the weather had worsened and there was a very distinct possibility of thunderstorms. This combined with the large number of bugs and the fact that my wife had never kayaked before, made us jittery about taking the tour. Tod was extremely accomodative. Not only was he fine with cancelling the tour if we wanted, he did not charge us a penny. He even went beyond that and gave us very good suggestions on what other activities we could do during our trip.

We ended up rescheduling the tour a couple of days later in the morning. The tour was awesome. Tod is highly knowledgeable of the everglades ecosystem. He showed us a number of birds, bird nests with chicks and alligators. The route on which we kayaked was great. We were looking for solitude and we got it. Throughout the tour, we saw no other people other than the 3 of us. Tod shared many valuable tidbits about the area, the animals and the people.

We came out of the tour satisfied. We would love to return here and do the tour again, this time in the evening and maybe in the dry season.

Highly recommended!!

See more reviews
Reviewed September 1, 2012

On our recent vacation on Sanibel Island we took a side trip to kayak in the Everglades with Tod of Tour the Glades. Can't say enough positive things about dealing with Tod. He was very friendly, accommodating and responsive. Working mainly by email he set up a morning kayak trip just right for our family of four (two adults, a fourteen-year-old and an eight-year-old). We set out around 7:30 a.m. using a mix of his single and tandem kayaks and spent about 4 hours navigating open waterways and dense mangrove tunnels. It was a ton of fun, and even as beginner kayakers, we felt very safe and comfortable. Tod was prepared with snacks and water to share mid-trip and lots of bug spray (happily, biting insects were completely absent from our visit!). We saw lots of wildlife -- our daughter liked the egrets nests with tall but still fuzzy chicks. And we saw several alligators, which shyly disappeared underwater as we went by. Tod also was a treasure trove of knowledge about the nature around us and the history of the native Indians of the area; it's clear he takes great pride in this unique area and his enthusiasm is infectious. When we finally paddled back to our launch site, he had recommendations for places to grab lunch in Everglades City as well as some nearby drives we could take (our son loves to look for snakes wherever we go, and Tod suggested a drive down a nearby loop of unpaved roads, and, sure enough, we were able to watch two snakes crossing the road). We're so glad we made the hour-and-a-half trip from Sanibel to take Tod's tour; it was one of the highlights of our vacation.