“Kayaking with Darlene”

$149.94*
Everglades National Park Expedition
$149.94*
and up
Boat Assisted Kayak Eco Tour (ENP)
Ranked #8 of 33 Tours in Everglades City
More attraction details
Owner description: At Everglades Area Tours, we set ourselves apart from the competition by offering the most intimate and educational tours of Everglades National Park and the surrounding protected areas. All of our guides are formally trained Florida Master Naturalists, Environmental Educators, and Full-Time Outdoor Leaders. You won’t find any intrusive airboats here -- they’re not allowed in Everglades National Park due to the damage they inflict on the ecosystem. Instead, we offer more exclusive guided boat, kayak, and walking tours with the most experienced tour guides in the state. Our most popular eco-tour, the Boat Assisted Kayak ECO Tour, combines the best of a boat tour, a kayak tour and a walking tour into one four hour adventure! Come experience the wildly unpredictable and natural beauty of Everglades National Park with Everglades Area Tours, where adventure awaits at every turn.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed March 16, 2013

My daughter & I spent the afternoon kayaking with Darlene(guide) through the mangrove swamps and had a GREAT TIME !! Got to see lots of gators, snakes, turtles & birds and having our guide all to ourselves made it that much more special!! I would recommend this tour to anyone who likes to spend time on the water, the pace is easy the kayaks safe and sturdy and I can't say enough about Darlene she was a world of knowledge and a joy to be around !!

1  Thank gregory p

Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed our tour of the ten thousand islands. Was a half day tour with time on a motorized boat (not an air boat), light kayaking, and stroll along a shell strewn beach. Was cold so no manatees, but plenty of playful dolphin and birds. Was peaceful and beautiful, would highly recommend.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Traveled all day through Everglades and stopping by to get pictures of so many alligators in their natural habitat. It was really big surprise to see how many of them is next to canal, in all sizes. We were surprised with people fishing in those canals, and very far from their cars. Are these lizards not that dangerous?
I fell much safer inside of visitors center behind the fence from alligators, they were just laying down in sunshine area in enjoying being lazy.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

I was thinking about an Airboat tour. Almost all of the Trip Advisor reviews lamented that they saw almost no wildlife and that the boats were so loud they had to wear headphones. (I wonder if there is any cause and effect here!!!). That said, most of the folks liked the speed of the boat like being at an amusement park.

So, that cinched it for me that I wanted to try something different. We opted for Everglades Area Tours. Our contact Charles was very helpful in deciding which tour to take and how to get to the meeting point.

We went on the 'Mangrove Tunnel Tour' which was a terrific choice. Small group of 9 all had kayaks with adjustable seats to ensure maximum comfort and leverage with our feet for ideal paddling. Our guide Ron, was a wealth of information and patience (keeping our two teen girls alert and focused best as possible).

Because we weren't traveling at breakneck speed with high decibel noise like an airboat, we were treated to a myriad of fascinating sights- alligators mating, an alligator nest with a bunch of little babies scurrying around, alligators perched on shore where you would only be able to see them with our slow paddling. We could get within 7-10 feet of these amazing creatures! Plus, we saw gorgeous birds which Ron explained their quirks. The mangrove tunnel was a canopy of mangroves on each side of the river that grew over the water instead of up, so we were essentially in a natural tunnel for about a half mile.

This tour was not the thrill of an adrenaline rush like airboats, but rather the far more genuine and LASTING thrill of seeing nature up close and personal. We were guests in nature's habitat, instead invading their turf. I think that was a key benefit and realization for the girls.

$99 per person for about a 3 hr and change tour, plus transport to/from the put-in station. I thought it was a solid value.

1  Thank beaubo
Reviewed February 27, 2013

My husband and I took the Boat Assisted Kayak Eco Tour and we absolutely loved it..we booked the morning tour which lasted approximately 3-1/2 hours. The weather was beautiful - our guide, Garrick was friendly, knowledgeable and patiently answered all our questions..it was our first time kayaking and even though I was initially a bit nervous, we were pleasantly surprised at how much we enjoyed it!! After paddling slowly around the islands for about an hour - watching fish jumping from the water and seeing many varieties of birds in the mangroves, Garrick guided us to an island rest-stop where he showed us & explained the different types of shells scattered about..we were delighted to watch a 'pod' of dolphins playing in the waves near our boat on our return..what a magical experience - one I would highly recommend..thank you Everglades Area Tours!!

CaptWright, Owner at Everglades Area Tours, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Thanks for your review. It sounds like we have two new kayakers! Kayaks are are great way to experience the Everglades. The Mangrove Tunnel Kayak Eco Tour, is a completely different experience in a completely different ecosystem. The only way to access this ecosystyem is by paddle-craft!