“Good Basic Motel”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Everglades City
Kennewick, Washington
“Good Basic Motel”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We arrived when a lot of people were checking in and I was impressed with how the person checking people in was efficient and genuinely friendly to each and every person. He also gave us a good recommendation of where to eat. If only the room was as good... Furnishings were nice and updated. What I didn't like was an envelope to leave tips for housekeeping. There was a nasty stain on the chair and some blood from obviously killed insects. We didn't notice the chair stain until later that night, and we left before the front office was open, so management was not aware of the situation. The next time we stayed in Everglades City, we stayed at the Ivey House which had comparable rates. If we had to choose between the two, we would choose the Ivey House.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sea2sea7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed December 24, 2012

We stayed at the Everlades City Motel during our 3-day visit to the Everglades. The staff was very friendly and the room (no. 19) was spacious and comfortable, with a kitchenette area with small fridge, sink and microwave. The bathroom was recently renovated to a very high quality. The Motel was in a perfect location for visiting the Thousand Islands and the Gulf Coast area of Everlades National Park. Nearby restaurants (Camilla Street Grill in particular) were excellent, and the Motel staff were helpful in recommending area attractions. My one and only complaint is the mattress and pillow quality. The owners would do well to replace the pillows, as they were very lumpy. The mattresses felt older and worn. Bedding, however was high quality, which helped to offset the discomfort of the beds. Nice tv, reliable wifi and nice looking clientele.

Everglades City is very un-commercialized, with no chain restaurants or hotels. We appreciated this. We were given a 10% discount at the little diner next door. Everyone was very friendly and accommodating. Would definitely recommend this place!

Room Tip: Corner rooms will be closer to the main road. I don't think this would necessarily be a problem...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank return2asia
MORENO VALLEY
Reviewed December 15, 2012

As others have said, this place has clearly been recently renovated. All the furniture, flooring, bath, looks very new and modern. Everything worked great. I had an end room (#17) which was a little larger and had lots of windows, which I liked. Nice flat screen TV, microwave, and mini fridge. Everglades city is very convenient for exploring Big Cypress Preserve and the surrounding areas. I stayed here a week.

I had two big issues here. One was the lousy Wi-Fi. When it's on and working great, it's fast. But that can change minute by minute. Literally one minute after you use it, it can be down for a minute or two, then it's back up, then down again. Very frustrating. I found myself using my iPad on my cellular network because this Wi-Fi was so undependable. I'm a businessman on vacation, and need to be able to stay in contact with my office.

The other problem I had was with the staff. There are no 'do not disturb' signs in the room. At the front desk I asked about this, and she made me a nice sign on paper (DO NOT CLEAN) which I taped to the front door. Despite this, twice my room was entered and cleaned. This made me very upset as I had left papers and my computer on the bed, expecting no one to be in the property. When she moved my computer she unplugged it, very inconvenient since I came by later to take it with me to a restaurant. (once, when I was sitting at the table in full view of the window, the house keeper just opened the door and entered without knocking). Which reminds me, there's no security lock on these doors. No deadbolt, no chain.

Also I needed the sink drain to be cleared, which was done. But that person left the window open in the bath. I didn't even notice it until hours later when it started raining and I saw the rain coming in. I wondered why I had so many mosquitoes in my room.

Even though this was a nice place, these issues have caused me to look around for another place to stay when I return in about a month.

Room Tip: End units are larger and have more windows. Also don't have two neighbors. Because these rooms a...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank drdroad
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 11, 2012

It's a basic motel, but it's clean, has plenty of hot water, and is close to everything. Rooms were renovated not too long ago, so they have nice step-in showers and reasonable furniture. Because Everglades City is pretty close to the end of the road, they get a premium for the rooms, but it's easier than commuting from Naples or Marco Island. We've stayed here a few times and will again. Well-run, too.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Turin, Italy
Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

The structure of the motel is very old american: only the ground floor all around the courtyard so you can park in front of your room.
Rooms are huge and very clean.
Also the bathroom was very big and well cleaned.
The woman at the reception can help you to find any activity nearby and in fact she suggested where to eat and it was very good.

Unfortunately they don't serve breakfast but near tge hotel there is a very good place for it!

A good choice if you want to stay in the Everglades!

• Stayed August 2012
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed December 8, 2012

I was impressed to see that mattress cover and ALL bedding was removed after we checked out. Room 8 was a little smaller because it was next to the ice machines. We did not hear them. Parking conveniently by room. Tile floors were clean. Shampoo and soap were convenient in wall-mounted dispensers. Had flat-screened TV, small refrigerator, and microwave. Contrary to what I was promised the Wi-Fi was weak. (Owner may be trying to improve this.) For some reason I had almost no Verizon Wireless reception in the room. Walking distance to churches, restaurants, grocery store, and several airboat operations. If you want to see alligators and birds drive to nearby H P Williams Roadside Park! Sometimes a volunteer is there to help. All-in-all a pleasant stay.

• Stayed December 2012
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed November 21, 2012

This is a nice, very clean hotel. Their wireless Internet works well. The beds are not the best - kind of hard. There is good TV cable, a fridge and a microwave in the room. Rooms are not ready until late in the day. There is no restaurant on site, but there is a good one right next door that you get a 10% discount on. No swimming pool

Room Tip: Ask for Room 1 as there are three sides of windows for lots of light
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
River Wilderness Waterfront Villas, Everglades
Ivey House
Ivey House
#1 of 5 in Everglades City

Been to Everglades City Motel? Share your experiences!