“An excellent way to see the Everglades”

Shurr Adventures Everglades
Ranked #2 of 33 Tours in Everglades City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We are a small family business that is recommend by Outside Magazine, Livewell Network, and we have worked with the Kratt brothers from PBS. Our kayak trips are like no other and when you paddle with us, you paddle with friends. Our groups have a small guest to guide ratio. We have a shuttle vehicle, variety of permits and paddling locations, comfortable kayaks (both single and doubles) and all of our guides are professional naturalists excited to share this wonderful place with "you" our guests.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed February 12, 2011

You see the Everglades by kayak. Justin, our guide, was very knowledgeable about the wildlife and the ecosystem. This was about 2 1/2 hours and all of it was very enjoyable. If you've never been in a kayak before it might be a little challenging in some spots because of the narrowness of the river but it's doable. We did see some people in canoes & they were really struggling through the mangrove tunnels. If you want a quiet afternoon I'd recommend this trip. They also have several morning and sunset trips.

Reviewed January 31, 2011

Hi all,

My and my wife made a trip trough Florida in January 2011 and we did a lot of research trying to find the best way to visit the Everglades and get the most out of it.

We found Shurr Adventures and decided to take their Combo trip starting with a Mangrove tour with Justin in the morning and the Sunset tour with Allie. Both Justin and Alli are such nice people who really understand how to make it the best experience for everyone. They are also very knowledgable and have a lot of interesting stuff to tell about the aligators, plants, trees, birds ... At some momentswe wanted to get more information of the wildlife/nature but other moments we just wanted to sit back and enjoy the silence/view. They have an amazing skill to "feel the mood" and really make it your personal experience and let you decide what you want to do ! And absolutely no rush at all to finish the trip to get to another group or anything ... it's all about relaxing and enjoying the everglades !

During the morning trip we discovered the mangroves and saw many aligators (some only 2 meters away from our kayak), all kind of birds, a snake, a racoon ... You really pass trough very small tunnels with perfect view on the mangrove trees/flowers... and not to forget the Manatess on the way to the departure place. The evening trip took us into the 10.000 Islands and it was amazing to see the sunset while at the same time having almost a full moon on the other side. During the sunset tour we got to see hundreds of birds flying into this small island for the night which is great to see them flying by with the sunset in the background.

In between the trips there is plenty to do and Justin and Alli have been great in giving us tips for stuff to do and lunch/dining trips. Not the standard "if you go there you get 10 % off" stuff but real good tips on local food and nice view restaurants.

For us this was just an amazing experience and we could not have hoped for different guides. These people don't do it for taking your money - they really love nature and want to share their passion with others - so don't hesitate at all - it's worth the money !!!

Thanks Justin and Alli !!!

2  Thank Roel_Bernaerts
Reviewed January 14, 2011

Shurr adventures is a company run by a husband and wife team, and after reading many favorable reviews here on trip advisor, as well as recommendations from all the locals....we signed up for a 3.5 hour mangrove tunnel kayak trip.

Alli, our guide, was a real sweetie and incredibly knowledgeable and passionate about the natural surroundings here. Even though I'm sure she's guided many many trips, she still seemed genuinely excited throughout the trip. Alli had a bunch of great stories, as well as great eyes that could spot wildlife hidden throughout the trip.

That said, the amount of wildlife that we saw was truly staggering. We saw egrets, ibis, great blue heron, green heron, night heron, red-shouldered hawks, kingfisher, and a whole lot more birds whose name I can't remember. Additionally, we saw 4 alligators (one giant one, one young momma, and 2 babies) spread out throughout the trip...and Alli even stopped on the way to the put-in to show us a bunch of manatees.

Alli explained how important it is to have small groups for tours like this, and given it was just my wife and I....they really meant it! We saw other tours with many more people in the group, which would mean the guide would have to yell to be heard--therefore scaring off a bunch of the wildlife. Alli and Justin are dedicated to responsible eco-tourism, and it really shows.

This was, without a doubt, the highlight of our trip to Florida. The first thing that I did when I got back on dry land was to call my mother to convince her to set up a trip when she comes down to Fort Meyers for Red Sox Spring Training. It was that good.

Thanks Alli! We're looking forward to coming back sometime and doing a multiple-day trip.

1  Thank Jeff R
Reviewed January 11, 2011

We did two trips with Justin this weekend. We've been on guided trips in a number of locations around the country, and can recommend these guys without reservation. Their prices are reasonable, they do what they say they are going to do, are very knowledgeable about the flora and fauna, not to mention water and weather conditions. We were in areas we would not have felt comfortable navigating on our own, yet felt completely comfortable under Justin's guidance. He was able to point out and describe lots of animals and natural features and kept a respectable distance from the many gators. The mangrove tunnels are so great - don't miss a trip there...though the sunset trip in the 10,000 Islands was also great.

4  Thank NBPINVT
Reviewed January 8, 2011

Kayaking in the Everglades and 10000 Islands with Shurr Adventures was the highlight of my Florida trip. The pictures on their site give you an idea of what you'll see, but there's nothing like being out there. Justin and Alli really made my trip an incredible experience. They're professional, knowledgable, and they're such nice people.

I spent the day on the water with Justin, and he clearly loves being out there, which contributed to an amazing day. I was really impressed that he would periodically check in with me to make sure the trip was everything I hoped for. At one point, we came across a guide from a different company who was leading a group, and as he and Justin talked, it seemed pretty clear that Justin was a different caliber of guide. I've done quite a bit of outdoors stuff, some with guides, a lot without, and my time with Justin was the best tour experience I've had.

When we got off the water at the end of the day, I almost said, "See you next Sunday". When I got home and showed friends the pictures and told them about that day, they want to get out there. So do I, I want to get out there again and have another awesome day with Justin and Alli at Shurr Adventures!!!

3  Thank Mattptrips