“Great experience”

Shurr Adventures Everglades
Ranked #2 of 34 Tours in Everglades City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We are a small family business that is recommend by Outside Magazine, Livewell Network, and we have worked with the Kratt brothers from PBS. Our kayak trips are like no other and when you paddle with us, you paddle with friends. Our groups have a small guest to guide ratio. We have a shuttle vehicle, variety of permits and paddling locations, comfortable kayaks (both single and doubles) and all of our guides are professional naturalists excited to share this wonderful place with "you" our guests.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed July 16, 2014

We enjoyed our half day kayaking with Alli very much. She was a perfectly guiding us through this amazing nature. It was an experience we do not want to have missed.

All reviews
in 13 reviews
"knowledgeable guide"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed July 9, 2014

The Shurrs were simply amazing! They reassured us that we would be able to kayak throughout the Everglades with them! (We had an inexperienced 50 year old, active 40 year olds, and a 16 year old!). They have something for every skill level! Their knowledge of the flora and fauna was impressive, too! Their personal attention to detail was fabulous! This was simply a memory of a lifetime! It is the event that we talk about most whenever we discuss Florida!

Reviewed July 7, 2014

I grew up in South Florida and my family was not one with a boat, so boating for me has been intermittent and infrequent. I had done airboating in the Everglades, which is fun but loud. But kayaking with the Shurrs was fantastic. We were able to get in between the mangroves and see a bunch of birds I had not seen so up close before. Of course there were gators. The Shurrs also gave us a great rec for a local restaurant. But the best was we had originally reserved the tour when it was still rainy season and it seemed like a big thunderstorm was going to kill our plans, and they graciously refunded our money and allowed us to reschedule it when I was back in town in the spring. Wonderful, wonderful tour and great hosts.

1  Thank Noelle B
Reviewed June 25, 2014

Staying in Fort Myers Beach, I saw a lot of advertisements for activities in the Everglades area and decided I wanted to visit and do something there myself. I was inundated with flyers for Airboat rides but wanted to do something a bit more personal and peaceful. Then I found the Shurr Adventures website and was so glad I did. I was accommodated on a Mangrove tour on a day that suited me and was provided with some easy to follow directions from Fort Myers to the meeting place in Everglades City. Both written and verbal communication was great. I met my guide Jason on Monday 23rd June 2014 for a 7am start. I would recommend starting early as it is quieter, cooler and the chance of seeing what I came for - alligators - was much greater. I found Jason to be patient, professional and very knowledgeable. I wasn't the most experienced Kayak paddler and tended to go left when I should have gone right, but Jason gave me some good guidance to help me and was always close by. I saw alligators, birds and other wildlife and can say quite easily that this 3.5 hour trip was the highlight of my Florida holiday. It was peaceful, educational and fascinating. I also felt better in myself that I was respecting the wildlife more by taking a calm, quieter approach to interacting with them, rather than charging up in a noisy, powerful airboat. I do recommend taking the advice of the company, which includes bug spray, long sleeves, change of clothes etc as you will need them. Even if you have to get up early and drive a couple of hours or so to get here it is well worth it. This is definitely something I would do again. Thanks again to Jason and everyone else at Shurr for a great experience.

2  Thank delnicholson
See more reviews
Reviewed June 23, 2014

I was impressed with Shurr Adventures right away when I was looking for a kayak tour and had no luck contacting another outfitter closer to Punta Gorda. I then turned my attention to the Everglades City area, thanks to Tripadvisor. That is where I found the Shurr Adventure Company. Shortly after emailing them I received a pleasant response from Alli, and that was all I needed. Email communications between us went very well and left me feeling very confident that Shurr was the right choice for us. Alli told us that Jason would be our guide for the morning of June 9th and we would be in very good hands. She was certainly spot on with that. With gps we easily found our meeting point with Jason. An email from Alli gave us all of the info we needed for our meeting and things we needed to bring along to make our tour that much more comfortable. Joining us on this 3 hour tour was a wonderful young couple from St. Louis. A joy to have along with us, they made the trip that much more enjoyable. I could go on and on about how nice Jason was and how much knowledge he shared with us. But I liked him as soon as we met.. The 3 hour tour was great. Lots of bird sightings and fish jumping. We only had 1 Alligator encounter, but for us it was 1 amazing encounter. We met in the middle of a small bay, getting ready to head in to the 1st mangrove tunnel. A good sized gator wanted to show us what a good gator it was, and checked us out for several minutes before getting bored with us and headed in to the Mangroves. How amazing that was for us! For us newbie Kayakers, we caught on quickly and managed to have a great time with the group. For us it was easy. The mosquitoes were really only annoying in one section of a Mangrove tunnel, but thanks to Alli and her advice, we were for the most part prepared for that little inconvenience. All in all we had an amazing time and would spend our time with Shurr Adventures again if we ever have the chance.

1  Thank iowacityia