“Wonderful Experience”

Shurr Adventure Company Day Tours
Ranked #2 of 34 Tours in Everglades City
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a small family business that is recommend by Outside Magazine, Livewell Network, and we have worked with the Kratt brothers from PBS. Our kayak trips are like no other and when you paddle with us, you paddle with friends. Our groups have a small guest to guide ratio. We have a shuttle vehicle, variety of permits and paddling locations, comfortable kayaks (both single and doubles) and all of our guides are professional naturalists excited to share this wonderful place with "you" our guests.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Wonderful Experience”
Reviewed June 15, 2014

We did the mangrove tour with Rebecca and could not have been happier. We set the trip up with Ali who was terrific to deal with. Rebecca was informative and did a great job on the tour. Price seemed a little higher than some of the other companies in the area but it was well worth it and and I would go with anyone else besides Shurr. It was just our guide and our family of four in two kayaks for the entire trip. We saw gators basking, Osprey diving, and American Swallow-tailed Kites soaring. Pace was relaxed. It went through some tight spots and so open lakes. One of the best experiences we had on our trip. Thanks Shurr Adventures - we will see you again next time we are down!

Visited April 2014

Collegeville, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A key Everglades experience with excellent guides”
Reviewed May 31, 2014

My friend and I took a "Moms getaway" vacation in late March. In short, by touring with Alli and Justin, we not only enjoyed a spectacular sunset kayak tour through the East River mangroves, but we also got valuable recommendations on other activities, places to eat, and places to stay while experiencing the Everglades. They were very friendly, sensitive to the needs of the group, and focused on giving everyone in the tour a great experience. I plan to return to the Everglades next year with my family, and I will be booking another trip with Alli and Justin. It was a pleasure to meet them and share their love for this part of our country.

Before the trip, Justin quickly responded to my email query with a prompt call back, letting me know that one of the tours we were interested in (an all-day on the Turner River) was not runnable due to low water levels. He also explained that during the specific dates of our trip they were unable to do any of the all-day trips since it was just the two of them and they already had several tours booked. However, since he knew we wanted to spend a bit of time on the water, he gave us a recommendation for another company that ran very good tours aligned with our interests. (We did book 2 trips with that company as well and although the tours were very good, Shurr Adventures takes top honors for best welcoming attitude and customer service.) For fellow water lovers that really want the all-day trips, plan well in advance - especially if you are traveling near the busy season! I was happy to be able to book a sunset tour through the mangroves with Shurr Adventures as the first activity of our Everglades adventure.

We arrived in the late afternoon at the Chamber of Commerce building and were immediately welcomed by Alli. The group, which consisted of a family with middle school age kids, a couple from the Netherlands, and my friend and I, jumped into the Shurr van for a short ride to the launch. Alli had a great selection of dry bags to protect phones and camera gear, although I opted out since I wanted to keep the camera very handy. She also had bug spray handy available for anyone that needed it (surprisingly, there were very few bugs the days we were there). Justin quickly got us in the boats and into the tea-colored water without even getting my wet feet, although I would recommend wearing shoes that can get wet "just in case". The open-top boats were very stable, and we had our choice of singles or doubles (even if you are new to paddling, consider taking a single - it is easier to handle in the tunnels). I was very comfortable the entire ride with long pants and a very light weight nylon jacket, especially with the life jacket providing some additional warmth.

Alli led our group of 4 and Justin led the family. Justin spent some time getting the family used to the boats near the launch, which allowed some separation between the two groups. I really appreciated that our group was so small - it allowed everyone in the group to hear Alli's quiet explanation of the landscape and wildlife around us. Expect to see several alligators on the trip, lots of jumping mullet, blooming bromeliads, and many bird species (we even had a flyby from a tuxedo bird, one of Alli's favorites).

There were several mangrove tunnel sections during the trip. Your first close look at the canopy roots reaching for the water will take your breath away. Alli gave us a great tip for the narrow tunnels - separate the paddle sections and only use one (like a canoe paddle) through the tunnels. Alli was very tuned in to the interests of the group, letting us slow down when we wanted to look at something in more detail as well as picking up the pace in some places (note: the paddling was never so fast as to prevent an easy conversation). The trip included a brief in-boat stop on the edge of a saw grass prairie where Alli provided us with a snack and water. After this point, we essentially retraced our path back to the launch. Just prior to reaching the launch, we went by the mangrove islands serving as a rookery to many types of birds. This was the highlight of the trip - seeing the birds in their breeding plumage returning to their nests in the soft sunset glow.

What separated this trip from another tour company's "sunset mangrove tour"? In my opinion, it is the appreciation for nature that Justin and Alli have, and their genuine desire to share the best of it with others. Through conversations with Alli and Justin, they listened to our interest in birding and wildlife and recommended specific trails for us to walk during our visit - we tried them, and they were great! They also recommended Shark Valley for the bike tour - with the important useful tip to arrive early. We were one of the first few cars there, and not only did we get a great parking spot, we were there before the crowds and saw an amazing number of birds on the first part of the trail (50 minutes to do the first mile, because so many birds were giving irresistible photo ops). We saw Alli and Justin a few days later near the end of our trip (on on of the tours with the other company they recommended), and they remembered us and were once again very friendly. In addition to giving us a fantastic kayak tour, Alli and Justin were great ambassadors for the Everglades and its natural diversity.

P.S. Alli and Justin said they will be heading to Yellowstone to guide during the summer season, so look for them if your plans will be taking you there!

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Jessica S
merrimack
“Everglades kayak tour”
Reviewed May 31, 2014

We went with Shurr Adventure with Justin early in the morning. This trip was one of our highlight trips. It was so good and we loved the Everglades so much we went back the second day to the Shark Valley. I would recommend everyone to try kayaking with Shurr Adventure. No experience required for kayaking, it's very easy especially if you have the tandem!!! (you know what I mean if you're in front). Kayaking is so peaceful, and quiet. We saw birds, fishes, and several alligators (big one). My husband dropped his sun glasses in the kayak and did not know it. Justin tracked us down and brought them to the restaurant where we had lunch.
We loved the trips.

Visited April 2014
Concord, Massachusetts
“The Best...”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

A Must Do if you are in the Everglades, and, if you're not in the Everglades, find a way to get there. 3- hour tour led by patient, friendly experts (kayakers and naturalists), who love the place, know it well and know how to keep you safe. These are the people to see if you want to experience the Everglades as a natural system. Worth a detour for sure and we will be back.

Visited February 2014
“Great Experience!”
Reviewed May 26, 2014

Alli and Justin are wonderful hosts! Their friendly and enthusiastic demeanor makes you feel welcomed and excited to start paddling. My dad and I did the Mangroves sunset tour in February. It was his first time kayaking, and he loved it. We saw a wide variety of avian species. Justin and Alli are both extremely knowledgeable. We learned so much about the unique ecosystem of the Everglades. I would recommend this trip to anyone visiting the everglades and the areas surrounding it.

Visited February 2014