“ridiculous expensive”
Review of Susie's Station - CLOSED

Susie's Station
Reviewed August 13, 2011

We stopped because we were hungry and it looked ma and pa. Thought it would be affordable. 4 hamburgers with 4 bags of tiny lays chips, a philly cheese sandwich with fries four CANS of pop and a lemonade cost $70 dollars. I could not believe it was $1.90 for a CAN of pop which was flat and spent $70 and left hungry. The staff of 2 did not even act like they had had customers before. Do NOT GO!!!!

3  Thank NLEGGE

Reviewed August 11, 2011

I am sitting at our condo after a long day driving to the everglades and decided to pull up the info on this restaurant we ate at today. Wish I read some of it before we went. It is amazing to me that a group of 4 adults and 1 kid spent 70 dollars there today. My mom and I shared the grouper basket and gator tail appetizer. I ordered a water with lemon...wondered why they brought me a bottle. It was so they could charge me 2 dollars for it. They also added 18% gratuity to our bill. The waitress brought out my husband's beer and gave him a styrofoam cup to drink it out of. The builiding is quaint, but the food was not anything special at all. Now after reading the reviews it really is quite humurous. We talked about the lack of french fries while we were there. We were trying to give them the benefit of the doubt...obviously shouldn't have. We also ordered key lime pie, which they brought out a piece that my son and I each had about 3 bites of and paid 4 dollars for it. Then to end our mediocre meal, they inform us that they cannot take our debit card. Ok, lucky for you we had cash. We rarely do, but today we did. I''m not sure why they didn't tell us this beforehand, but it left a bad feeling with me. Then I get on here and they have told someone on August 1st that a storm took out the machine. Hmmmm....we got the same story. Basically, go to one of the other restaurants.

2  Thank wrdissel2
Reviewed August 1, 2011

All the other reviewers are correct about the terribly overpriced menu--it cost our family of 4 over $80.00 for a lunch of sandwiches! On top of that, we couldn't pay with a credit card because a recent lightning strike killed the credit card machine, and we weren't told that until the bill was delivered. To her credit, our server volunteered to pay the ATM fee if we had to get more cash to cover our check. Other than that our server was very pleasant and helpful, and the grouper sandwich--recommended by our server--was excellent, both fried and grilled, and the Key Lime Pie, made fresh that morning, and also recommended by our server--was more lime than sugar---probably the best Key Lime Pie we've ever had. So, go here for a piece of pie.

1  Thank CriticalGrrl
Reviewed July 16, 2011

It would be a very brave investor who takes on Susie's Station. Appearance cute enough to draw the passing trade in but repeat business nil.

I am cool about most food and when in US have never returned food. But the heavily fried crab cakes were inedible and I returned them, the waitress being considerate enough to offer another option apologising that though she believed them to be pretty good crab cakes they were "not to my liking.". My next mistake was taking the alternative.

There is no need for me to list the shortcomings of this eating venue - they are all well documented by others - I can only concur with preceding remarks. Such a shame to see what might once have been a going concern sink to such poor culinary standards with the added insult of terrible value, and enforced service charge for little service at all.

Reviewed May 21, 2011

If you are in the Everglades whether you live in the area or just a visitor this the quaint little town of Everglades City, allow me to warn you about stopping by Susie's Station Restaurant. The place has a fantastic retro look outside where it lures tourists by advertising garage repairs, key lime pie, and a hometown restaurant.

The Everglades has plenty of sites for locals and visitors and boasts some of the best seafood that Florida has to offer. Our first visit to Susie's Station was exciting when we first pulled in. The outside decor was attraction enough to grab us from the roadway.

Most of the restaurant was roped off and unbearably hot. A small dining room featuring a few small tables was open and air conditioned. We still thought that this was all part of the attraction.

A lunch at 1:00 o'clock in the afternoon was eagerly anticipated. Two sandwiches with a side of chips and an order of shrimp with fries and 3 sodas and a $50 tab later, I was quite disappointed. Very little food for what money equals a half day of work for a lot of people.

I have paid $50 or even more for lunch or dinner in the past but usually find myself and my appetite equally satisfied. At the end of the $50 snack, I tried to pay but found that they were unable to accept my credit card. With no local banks in the area, I sent my wife to a local store a mile away to use one of the only ATM machines in the area. Needless to say that this was not my bank and charged me an ATM fee.

All in all, a lunch equivalent to 2 McDonald's hamburgers, 5 pieces of shrimp, a small order of fries, 2 bags of plain chips and 3 cans of soda cost me a whopping $65.00 not to mention the gas that I wasted going there.

If you are looking for something filling, comfortable, convenient and credit card friendly, I would suggest driving a few more miles into Naples or going toward Miami there are a few small places along side the road that maybe worth a stop. As for me? I will fill up the tank and continue to drive into Naples or if heading east, into Miccosukee Indian country for a better meal that satisfies me and my wallet.

2  Thank Tom C