“An Old Florida Retreat”
Review of Grove City Motel

Grove City Motel
Reviewed April 19, 2013

"The Groves" as we call the motel is Old Florida, a Rain Forest, and a Tropical Isle all rolled into one nice quiet place. Where the owners (husband and wife team) are very helpful, friendly, and caring. They have many guests who return each year, which says something about the place.We have met and become friends with many and enjoy visiting each year with them. And being able to bring our dog is a plus. Most motels are cement city, but not "The Groves". You actually can forget where you are when you walk thru the gardens or sit by the heated pool. The Units are very adequate with kitchenette, living room, bedroom, and bath. They have a cheerful decor and enough kitchenware to satisfy most. Each has a backdoor to the heated pool area, gardens, and your own outside area with grill. There are always flowers blooming somewhere. It is close to the beaches, great fishing, golf, and boating. But for those who don"t do that, there are bike trails, walking trails, and history here. The owners will guide you. We truly feel we have been on an island vacation when we stay here as it is unlike any other motel. We love it and will keep coming back.

Room Tip: rooms have either queens or twin beds, all have sleeper sofa.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Where do I even start with this place?

I arrived at 4:00 after getting up at 3:30 in the morning and flying all day and was told that my room wasn’t ready. There was no other car in the parking lot. Needless to say it didn’t start out well. I went and got groceries, got back and my room was open. The stench of the smoke almost gagged me. They let people smoke at this place wherever they want to. There are ashtrays outside, ashtrays in the units, ashtrays at the pool, etc. I am asthmatic and I would have never come here if I had known this. All the other reviews were so glowing and no one even mentioned the smoke.

The good: The owners are very nice, helpful and gave me some great suggestions for driving. There is a restaurant across the parking lot to the left and to the right.

The bad: Unfortunately there are many things. Although the units are spacious, mine was unbelievably filthy. I can handle the cockroaches and the ants but filth I just can’t. The base of the toilet probably hadn’t been cleaned in centuries along with other things. See pictures. Although I am environmentally conscious, I left the air conditioner and fan on so I could breath when I walked in because of the smoke smell. It didn’t matter if I was gone an hour or three, I would come back and they would be off. This is on a very busy road immediately out front and you will hear traffic noise until at least 11:00PM. My bed felt like a slab of granite and everyone has different tastes in beds. I’m just letting you know that these are extra extra firm. The water pressure was a trickle although it was hot. There were adequate towels left each day but the trash was never emptied during my stay of 4 days.

Overall, I would never recommend this motel. It was a great disappointment and wouldn’t take much for the owners to get the place in shape.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank moneymoo
angelika g, Owner at Grove City Motel, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

We object strongly to this review and it comes as a total surprise to us. We are a small (9 units) - owner occupied and operated - motel and it is our policy to talk to our guests and inquire about their satisfaction and comfort. Not once did this guest talk about any of the items mentioned in the review. Just the opposite, the guest expressed how nice his/her vacation turned out to be. We pride ourselves about the comfort and cleanliness of our units. We do allow smoking outside the units (small table and chairs provided for each unit) and in the garden.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

This is a great old Florida style motel. The landscaping is beautiful. It reminds me of hiking in the central American jungles. There are flowers year round. Palms, bromiliads, and tropical fruit abound. The pool is heated! It's like an oasis in a jungle. The owners are friendly, and very helpfull This motel is pet friendly which is not so easy to find in south Florida. My wife and I discovered this place because we traveled with our dog. But, we have returned several times in different seasons. I highly recommend this place. It feels like home away from home. There is a stove, microwave, refrigerator and everything you need to set up for a Florida vacation.
Also, there is easy access for bycycle paths, kayak, beach and eco parks.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank john w
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I have stayed at this motel several times over the past two years for family reasons. While the facility is older, the efficiency units are well cared for, and the small jungle with walking paths and a pleasant, clean, swimming pool which comprise the "back yard" to all efficiency units is a great "plus". The couple who own and operate the place are VERY pleasant and helpful. Units are adequate - kitchen/living room in front, bedroom & bathroom in back. Stove, refrigerator, microwave, a few dishes, etc., TV and wireless internet included.
Don't expect fancy. Do expect clean and pleasant. Even noise from the street is damped by dense plantings between road and parking area. Grove City Motel prices are an excellent value!

Room Tip: Some rooms double bed, some 2 singles. All have hide-a-bed couch in living area, I think.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We loved this place. We actually lucked out getting a room by someone else canceling right before I called. I am so glad they did because we would of never known about this hidden gem. The owners were super friendly, the rooms we cute and really clean. The back yard reminded my son of Jurassic Park. It was absolutly beautiful. It made you forget where you were. The pool was great, the perfect temp. The Kitchens in the rooms were great, fully equiped with everything that you would need, and there are bbqs that you can use. You really can't beat the price of the room either. There is also a awesome pizza place right next door. I would definately reccomend this hotel if you are in the Englewood area! We can not wait to return next year!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BrittanyMarie19
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We live in New England,so we wanted to have some fun in the sun!!! We arrived here on Feb 21 and stayed til the 28. our room was clean and big! Great kitchenette so we could cook what we want!! Gas grills all over to BBQ! Also the back of the motel is unbelievable.... wonderful exotic plants,flowers and trees,almost like a little maze to get to the pool area!! Peaceful and everyone from the guest to the owners were as specially friendly!! Did i mention pet friendly as well! Cant beat the prices and the location is fantastic 10 mins from the beach, restaurants all around!! We had the beat weather as well 85 all week til the day we left to light showers.I would highly recommend this motel to any and all...We will be returning next getaway and next and well you get it!! Grove City motel is the place to be!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are fairly the same size and all have kitchenettes.Smaller motel so very comfortable ,cozy...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Reese321
Reviewed February 27, 2013

These are great, very clean motel housekeeping units with the added bonus of back
doors leading to the tropical garden surrounding the pool. So you can step out from
the bedroom and relax in mother nature, not sitting and looking at the road.
We stayed there many years, at least 7 times and always enjoyed our stay.
We used to stay at the beach or on the Manasota Key, but enjoyed staying in
Grove City much more. The beach is still very close , but we liked that the stores were
also close , as there is such good shopping, many restaurants and pubs nearby.
We were allowed to bring our dog to the motel, which made the holidays even more special for us.
We bought our own place in Sept 2012 , so we will not come back to the Grove
City Motel every year any more. When we have guests and the house feels too crowded, we still send people over to Gela and Al, the friendliest hosts we have
ever met!
Hans and Barb Richter
Flesherton, Ontario, Canada

Room Tip: We enjoyed every unit, but there is a small bungalow close to the pool, which we liked to ask for a...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Barbara R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Englewood
Sun Life Beach Hotel
Pearl Beach Inn
Pearl Beach Inn
#1 of 10 in Englewood
Englewood Bay Motel & Apartments

Been to Grove City Motel? Share your experiences!