“New Owners....but....”

Stefano's Family Restaurant
Ranked #49 of 121 Restaurants in Englewood
Cuisines: American, Greek
Description: Stefano’s Family Restaurant is a local landmark located in Englewood, Florida. We have been serving visitors and local residents for over 21 years with the area’s BEST! Homestyle Breakfasts, Lunches and Dinners. Along with local favorites that we prepare fresh everyday, we also have daily specials that are some of the best values for the food dollar in Englewood, Florida. Our menus offer choices for almost everyone and we know you won’t leave hungry! Also, FULL SERVICE BAR NOW AVAILAVBLE!
Reviewed October 10, 2015

Maybe it's a month or so since new owners took over. I've seen the parking lot flooded with cars on a Sunday morning, but my spouse went for breakfast with the guys and didn't have a positive reaction.
This review, however, is for dinner. 2 for $25 including dessert. A deal?? Not by our standards. There were quite a few choices, but they are not printed on a menu. The waitress rattles them off. I chose the turkey dinner; my spouse had lasagne. Both came with choice of soup or salad, entree and dessert, though the waitress first told us they no longer included dessert even though the sign out front said it did.
Whew...The sign out front also says everything is prepared fresh daily. Maybe yes, maybe no. Anyway, my turkey dinner was plentiful with sliced turkey breast covering a small mound of stuffing. There was a generous serving of mashed potatoes and chunks of squash. The potatoes were the best part of the meal, real potatoes mashed chunky style, just how I like them. The squash was seasoned with something that did not appeal to me, though i usually love the zucchini and yellow squash. Also got a small container of cranberries, or rather red colored gel. No sign of a cranberry and no taste of one either. Such an easy thing to make fresh.....
Now on to the lasagne. I've seen larger portions at most other local restaurants, but that wasn't the biggest beef, speaking of which the meat in the lasagne was hard to find. The sauce was scant, and the pasta was mushy. Not a good combo at all.
Don't let me forget the bread. It came neatly wrapped in a basket with plenty of soft butter. It looked unusual...about an inch high and obviously fresh baked. But it had no flavor...did someone forget the salt in the baking process??
Finally, to dessert. We had to ask just to see what was offered. A few flavors of pudding or icecream. As we declined both, the waitress did manage a slice of tiramisu for us to share, assuring us it was homemade there, and good. It was sweet of her, though not a favorite of ours. We sampled it and found it OK, but didn't win us over.
In summary, one of the new owners was at the register and did not appreciate our dislike of his lasagne (yes I sampled a taste too). No apology....just that there had been no other complaints. What I wonder is, will they be back? We won't.

Date of visit: October 2015
1  Thank SuziSouthwestFL

Reviewed September 29, 2015

We went to Stefano's to have dinner with my family because we heard that the new owners have done a great job updating the menu. The Italian food was amazing-we also tried some Greek items-all of them were good, the salad, the gyro, the bread everything was great!!-They prepared a lobster tail for my daughter who wanted to try it and now we are in troubles because she said that she will come back for more.
The atmosphere was quiet, which is exactly what we were looking for tonight, the service was superb, and the best of all, their prices are very affordable. We will come back to try breakfast this weekend. I will recommend this restaurant to anyone because there is a little bit of everything in the menu, lots of choices at a great price. The new management is doing a great job!

1  Thank sunlifeenglewood
Reviewed September 28, 2015

4 of us stopped for breakfast Sunday morning. Didn't know what to expect from a
Greek restaurant for breakfast....much to our surprise ..it was great! The breakfast menu was never ending with all good breakfast combos and even accommodated me with a gyro! Service was fantastic...waitress was on top of her game.
Kudos to Stefano's! We'll be back.

1  Thank Nerak1011
Reviewed September 26, 2015

Their are new owners that are doing a wonderful job since they bought Stefano's. They have owned it now for about a month The inside has been painted and is clean. The menus has changed and have been updated. They have authentic Italian chef from Italy which he doing wonderful daily specials the marina sauce he makes from scratch some of the dishes are with home made pasta. The, pizza dough is 100% their own and made from scratch as well as our dinner bread and some of the hoagies as well. he has also made home made lasagna.. The new owners are from Albania and they are working very hard to change and turn the place around one of them are always there.. I have been reading a lot of reviews on here some are good , bad and just horrible. For the longest time I wouldn't eat here after my 2nd bad experience normally I wouldn't go back at all after the 1st one I saw the new sign under new management I decided to give it one more chance and it has completely took my surprise, I tried the meatball stuffed ravioli and it was completely mouth watering delicious the home made ravioli and sauce were great along with the home made dinner bread.. For those of you whom had a bad experience I would strongly suggest you give it one more try I doubt you will have anything but good things to say

3  Thank Joyce S
Reviewed September 26, 2015

This is a wonderful place to eat all your meals
Good quality