“You've Lost a Customer!”
Review of Zeke's Bayside Restaurant - CLOSED

Zeke's Bayside Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Good for: Scenic view, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Description: A Casual, Waterfront Bar & Grill that used to be called Zeke's Bayside. In July 2014, Zeke's moved to Dearborn St and this became Snook's Bayside or The Bayside Bar & Grill at Royal Palm Marina with new managers/operators.
Reviewed April 7, 2014

This was our second trip to Zeke's and will be our last. I'll start with the positives: the location is great. The Shrimp and Crabcakes to die for. I planned on having their chocolate dessert as I loved it last time, but after over two hours we were completely fed up and left.
I believe we sat with the previous reviewer (communal-type tables). We arrived shortly after 6:00 PM and seated ourselves at a small table. After about ten minutes, a waiter told us they couldn't serve us at that table. We moved and sat for no less than a half-hour without even a menu. We borowed out tablemates' menu so we would be ready to order. After another 15 minutes, my husband went to the bar for drinks. He was told that Yuengling does not make a Lite Beer (strange, since we saw it promoted on your condiment holders at the table) but, no problem, he got a different kind. As our waiter Andrew finally walked past, our tablemates spoke out that they were readty to order and we added we were too. He remarked, "Well I'm not ready to take your order, when I am, I'll be back." Meanwhile, he took orders from a nearby table that was seated well after we arrived. When he finally took our orders (a good hour into our visit), there was no mention of or apology for the long wait, lack of taking drink orders or poor attitude. He advised us to expect the shrimp (appetizer) as part of the main meal since they were so busy. So again we waited .... and waited. At one point our tablemates hailed Andrew again about the wait and he answered, "Not my fault" and continued walking. No apology or acknowledgement of our inconvenience My husband went back to the bar to get more drinks, as we were not offered an opportunity to order more. Our food arrived about an hour and 45 minutes after we did. Our meals were fine, our tablemates' burgers were overcooked. By now business seemed to be winding down, tables were clearing out. Our server did check in to ask if we wanted another drink and if the food was ok, two hours after we sat down. The only appropriate interaction we had with the server the entire time was a mumbled, "Sorry for the wait" as he placed the check on the table.
They were obviously very busy, but they were just as full during our last visit and the service was a bit slow, but good that time. There may have been a very good reason for the lengthy wait but there is no reason in the world for the way we were treated. An apology goes a long way, as would have acknowledging our presence, keeping track of who should be served next, keeping the drinks flowing during the wait, and even comping a drink or dessert.
Truly, this ranks as the absolutley worst service we have ever experienced anywhere. No apologiy Zeke's, but we won't be back. There are other restaurants in the area that serve good crab cakes, and know how to treat their customers.

4  Thank sippican

Reviewed April 6, 2014

Just returned from a 2 1/2 hr nightmare experience at Zeke's. Service was beyond slooooow.! We arrived at 5:50 pm. We shared a table with another couple and waited 55mins without even being able to put in our drink order ! We went to the bar and got our own drinks X 2 ! Our waiter (Andrew) basically ignored us and even took a drink/dinner order for another table that arrived 10 mins after us !. This, after we had just spoken to him about taking our order that we'd been waiting for over and hour ! At 7:20pm , he took our order for med/pink burgers.. It arrived about 8pm, waaay over cooked and grey !! We tried to speak to a manager and was told that there wasn't one there tonight ! Needless to say, we will never return !

4  Thank dd1942
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

The food is the best. Hard to believe such fresh food comes out of a food truck! Great view of the water and even the occasional dolphin!! This place is awesome. Live music all the time.

Service is spotty at times, but 95% of the time it's great!

A must try!! (If you can find it ;) ...)

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Went here for a late lunch the other day, for the first time. We really enjoyed the atmosphere and the food. We had clam chowder, burgers, crab cakes, chicken sandwich, and onion rings. Everything was very good. Our server, Robert, was very busy but took good care of us. From what we could see, everyone hustles in this restaurant. It's not the place to go if you are in a hurry--need to relax with an ice tea or cold beer! We can't wait to go back again-great view, too!!

Reviewed March 16, 2014

We have been to Zeke's before and wanted some out of town guest to enjoy Zeke's food and mileau with us. We originally sat inside but switched tables to an outside table when one opened up. DON'T EVER SWITCH TABLES AT ZEKE'S!!!! We we literally yelled at by the outside server for affecting his tips. Yelled at!! Guess that's our last trip to Zeke's along with our neighbors, friends, relatives, etc.

3  Thank Mjuip
crytopean, Owner at Zeke's Bayside Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2014

I finally have had some time out of the kitchen and have been mortified by a couple of the reviews that I see posted. I do know that switching tables is a constant problem for us --- we post a sign at the entrance asking folks not to switch tables after they've been seated and we also playfully address it with a "No Musical Tables" icon on our menu. It's not the server's tip that is the issue (at least not from my perspective) it is the confusion it causes when we are busy. We must be the only restaurant where folks just get up and switch tables without asking the server or hostess.....and I understand why though. It's a terrific view if and a great experience if you can get a seat outside.

I don't know if there was a hostess on duty who's job it is to manage seating when you were there or not...or an expediter who's job it is to deliver food to the right people....or if you had already ordered drinks or food as each one of those adds to the complexity when a group disappears from the table they were at originally. As much as I'd like to think we can remember everyone's faces. I know with 600 -- 700 people a day it's not likely. These are just some of the reasons we ask people not to switch tables without asking.

To actually be "yelled" at however is unforgivable in my book. There are certainly more appropriate ways to handle this...and to yell at a customer is not even remotely acceptable ever. At this juncture, I can only apologize profusely for this. If you know the name of the server that did this, I would appreciate it if you could let me know so I can make sure it never happens again to someone else.