“Little shop of horrors, restaurant style”
Review of Gulf View Grill

Gulf View Grill
Ranked #8 of 111 Restaurants in Englewood
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Only a 2 minute stroll from the beautiful Gulf of Mexico offering spectacular sunsets and superb food. Voted best of the best year after year. We have a banquet facility for events and specialize in Weddings and set up Beachside Weddings , as well .
Reviewed October 17, 2010

My wife and I wanted to spend a quiet dinner at this restaurant, but reality diverged from theory very quickly. My wife ordered a fish dinner. The waitress instead brought the special of the day, which my wife didn't want. My wife asked again for the fish dinner she requested. The fish was supposed to be pan seared. The specimen the waitress brought was horrible looking - slimy, no pan searing of any sort. My wife bit into it and it was undercooked, almost raw. She requested it be done properly. They offered clam chowder while she waited. Unfortunately, the clam chowder was devoid of clam. It had a lot of sherry. Perhaps staff thought if she got drunk, she might forget what a horrible experience she was having. The fish finally arrived - after I had completely finished my meal - and it appeared satisfactory, but the garlic potatoes that accompanied the fish were cold. They brought another plate of potatoes. We finally finished after about a 2 hour ordeal. We were very unhappy with our experience. When we received the bill, we were floored to find they wanted to charge full price for my wife's meal. I basically said that was preposterous. The waitress wanted me to speak with the hostess, which I did. When I spoke with her, I expressed by dissatisfaction and noted that I had completely eaten my dinner before my wife was served. She spouted something to the effect, "I saw that." Wait, you saw that, but wanted to still charge us full price for her meal? Then she proceeded to tell me that she would subtract my wife's meal from the bill, all the while trying to give us the impression that she was doing us some great favor. Never once did she offer up an apology. That was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. At least have the decency to say you're sorry. I can take the bad meal more than the condescending attitude I saw. Apparently management has the locals geared to thinking they have to accept anything this sorry-excuse-for-management chooses to dish up. It's the old story: fool me once, your fault; fool me twice, my fault. We'll never return. Once it more than bad enough.

9  Thank gol10go4
There are newer reviews for Gulf View Grill

Reviewed August 15, 2010

I have lived in Englewood for 45 years and have found that this restaurant consistantly offers the best atmosphere, service, prices, food and drink specials that you can find in Englewood and all of the surrounding areas, from hot dogs to chilean sea bass we have had it all. casual attire, local prices and great sunsets. They offer the best happy hour that last all day and night at the bar. We just love this place and frequent it often...

2  Thank bud9346
Reviewed August 13, 2010

reviews of this restaurant hinted at being a great place to go to... my experience as a family group of 4 adulta and 1 11yr old was disapppointing.
Food menu seemed ok but service was slowish and the meals all have cold vegetables and fries.. an unsympathetic response at the end of the evening confirmed it as a place to avoid

6  Thank sharrocksptf
Reviewed July 31, 2010

My husband and I had asked for a local recommendation for a nice place for us to eat without the kids. We were told to make a reservation for this restaurant in the window to watch the sunset. Sounds romantic I thought. I tried to reserve a window table and was told, "Can't promise we will try." When we arrived at 7:45pm, it was loud. The hostess hustled us to our table as I tried to explain we had a reservation. She dropped us off at a table right next to a family party of 8-10, who had the coverted window seats. When I say "right next to," I mean I felt as if we were sitting with them. I wondered why I had left my kids at home since I was sitting with some strangers' kids and I could hear their conversation clearer than my hubby's across the table. Still hopeful of a romantic, beach mood, I ordered a Pina Colada that had more ice than anything else in it. The appetizer was nice - shrimp cocktail - but can you really mess up a shrimp cocktail? When I asked the waitress for a local fish recommendation, she quickly directed me to the Chilean Sea Bass, which, suprise, was one of the most expensive dishes on the menu. However, still desperate for a "special evening," I thought I would give it a try. The food was okay. The fish tasted fresh, but was spoiled by the over-baked crusting. The vegetables were mushy and the garlic mashed potato flavorless. My hubby did say his Prime Rib was great. The waitess asked if I wanted another Pina Colada, and I figured since I had just drank watery milk, I would switch to water for free. I got a small glass, which I would have appreciated having refilled. But no luck as I think the waitress stepped off somewhere. We finally saw the waitress at the end of the meal who asked if we wanted dessert. She never asked if we liked the food despite tha I had left more than half of it on my plate, and I was so desperate to get out of there, that I declined. I think next time I want a romantic quiet meal with the hubby, I will stay at home and save the money. This place is over-priced, with poor service, sub-par atmosphere and mediocre to average food. It may be a better place to take the family and eat of the "value-priced menu" but this is not the romantic, up-market restraurant with a good atmosphere I was expecting.

6  Thank Guntergal
Reviewed July 27, 2010

My siblings and I had taken our parent to the Gulf View restaurant, in June, for our Fathers 80th Birthday. The service and food were excellent, our waitress let us know about all the specials and checked back with us through the meal to ask if everything was alright and if we need anything else. I had the sea scallops and they were absolutely delicious. Being from New England I really enjoy good seafood. The size of the scallops are larger than any I have had in NH,MA & Maine; they were tender and tasty too. I would highly recommend to anyone that they check out the Gulf View Restaurant, you won't be disappointed. Oh, and by the way, the view at sunset is fantastic.

Ted Meyer