“Terrible hostess”

Gulf View Grill
Ranked #8 of 111 Restaurants in Englewood
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Only a 2 minute stroll from the beautiful Gulf of Mexico offering spectacular sunsets and superb food. Voted best of the best year after year. We have a banquet facility for events and specialize in Weddings and set up Beachside Weddings , as well .
Reviewed October 14, 2009

My husband and I went here on my birthday back in February. Called earlier to make a reservation for a window table--was told if we got there by 430, we would not have a problem with seating. We rushed down to Englewood from Venice. When we got there, the hostess would not seat us by a window, as she "had reservations for the window tables for 530". We assured her we would not be there for more than an hour, but she refused to seat us. I was upset as we got there early as requested. Definitely a power trip for the hostess. The food was average at best but the night was spoiled for me and we will never return and have advised all our friends who live in the area in the winter, as we do, of our bad experience. Oh, and by the way there were 4 open window tables, when we left...

4  Thank BeverlyMA
There are newer reviews for Gulf View Grill

Reviewed September 29, 2009

we live in punta gorda, close to the Gulf but not close enough for a view. We decided to go to the Gulfview Grill to see the sunset and have a few drinks. We are so glad we stayed for dinner. Being so close to the water, I was leaning towards seafood but when I asked the waiter about the prime rib I quickly ordered the prime rib- one of my favorites. The Prime RIb was the BEST I jave had in Florida (cooked perfectly &nicely trimmed). My wife doesnt eat redmeat and selected one of several fish entrees. The portion was very generous and the fish was broiled with a citrus wine/garlic sauce. Only disappointments: we were too full for dessert and the Key Lime Pie looked delicious..next time. The new outdoor deck was not yet open, Oct. we were told....next time for sure!

Reviewed September 26, 2009

I have been to The Gulf View Grill several times, but the last time it was with ten women, a fairly large group. Our dinners all came out at the same time and were excellent. The view, the Gulf of Mexico, and the sunsets are fantastic. In my book, it cannot be beat, and would certainly recommend it to others.

Reviewed August 28, 2009

The view is unparalleled, yes, and the food is excellent. But as we've visited the Gulf View over the years, the service has deteriorated. Our visit there yesterday was a truly awful experience, beginning with the "greeting" from the extremely rude hostess. Things got worse, as it took a half-hour for the bartender-busboy-waiter (the place was terribly understaffed) to take our order. We had a single-course meal (the lunch specials, which should be readily available), and it took the four of us two and a quarter hours to have lunch. When it came time to pay the check, we had to go up to the register to find someone willing to take the payment. The check was all wrong, as one of the items was a more expensive one than the one ordered, and items that were supposed to be supplied as part of the "special" were charged for separately. We won't return to the Gulf View Grill.

7  Thank MikeDM02
Reviewed April 18, 2009

This restaurant has improved greatly since my last visit five years ago. All our food was delicious and priced well below what it would command anywhere else. The specialty "greens" were amazing. My husband's flank steak was the best he's ever had and a temendous value. Incredible sunset views of the beach. They just need an outdoor seating area to be complete.
Bert was our server and she was perfect!