“Great location, hotel almost there...”

Weston's WannaB Inn
Chicago, Illinois
“Great location, hotel almost there...”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

My family had a two night stay here at the end of December. We stayed in a second room floor in building "M" (see http://wannabinn.com). The room was facing the ocean. The balcony was maybe 50 feet from the water front. The beach is not crowded. The Key is mostly residential I believe. This particular building is the southernmost one on the key and the stump pass state park borders the building! We did find a handful of small sharks teeth. Red tide was in action but that is mother natures doing not hotel management! Staff seemed friendly and the room looked nicer than the pictures on their website which was a plus! We did have a few issues. It rained when we got there are we were a bit cold and wet. The electronic ac/heating unit was not heating. Fortunately the HVAC guys were onsite and had it working about and hour later. I did notice both power surges and drops periodically. Not sure if there was electrical maintenance going on in the area or if this was particular to our room or building. The second night it got quite cold outside so in the wee hours of the morning I went to put the heater on and it again was not functional (giving some new error code this time). The WIFI signal was only showing 1 or 2 bars on my itouch and would often drop entirely. Hanging out near the main office the signal was very strong. Checkin is after 3pm and checkout by 10am. Not sure if these are standard but a tighter window would be a plus! They did let us stay parked on the premises so we could do a little shark tooth hunting! The sleeper sofa was REALLY lacking in cushioning from the springs. Maybe ok for a youngster but not an adult.

Pluses:
1) VERY good rates
2) Really great location especially if you prefer being close to the ocean and a little away from everyone.
3) nice rooms and clean (with stove, microwave, fridge and toaster - don't recall a coffee maker)
4) friendly staff

Minuses:
1) Issues with heating or electrical in general (at least in our room anyway)
2) sleeper sofa rather harsh
3) wifi signal may be very weak at end of property
4) checkin/checkout times as noted above (maybe normal I'm not sure)

Would I come back? I certainly would try them again. If the electrical issue(s) were corrected it would have made for a very pleasant stay. Hopefully that was a temp problem. The potential to be a really nice place is there if they can correct a few minor kinks.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank JohnFishman13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
North Port, Florida
Reviewed January 7, 2013

This was my third stay in 6 months. I had a great time stayed bayside was very quiet. Saw dolphins twice great bird watching. One disappointment they do not offer any discounts being a Florida resident and good customer this was a down side to me loyalty should have some benefits. All in all the place is coming together and the improvements are great.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank BaTraveler101
Celebration, Florida
Reviewed December 29, 2012

My husband chose this hotel for its great location for family kayaking, fishing, and super close proximity to the Stump Beach Pass state park. It is just darling with clusters of beach cottages snd low-rise buildings painted bright, beachy colors clustered together to look like a little beach village. Our totally renovated, modernly furnished 2 Bedroom Gulf Front Suite was incredibly spacious with lots of space and privacy for a family. The direct sea views from our Living Room and private oceanfront balcony were just tremendous. The manager was super friendly and shared lots of interesting information about this resort's complete makeover. This is a place we'll want to come back to time and time again with our extended family. Delightful ambiance and perfect location to enjoy the area's best beaches and boating.

• Stayed December 2012
5 Thank TropicalManorDaytona
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I reserved a room with a great view but it was a fisherman's room with two single beds so it wasn't a good choice for me and my wife. The front desk staff offered me a upgrade to a better room right away with no fuss. All of the staff that we met were awesome. Our room was right on the beach, so nice to be able to hear the surf put us to sleep. There's a park right next to the property with an amazing walking path. There is no room service, restaurants or bars on site, but there are three great restaurants within one mile right down the beach. Stump pass is right at the end of the park and shouldn't be missed.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank gulfkevin
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I was staying 1 night here on Sept 1 which was a spontanous stop on my FL round trip. I was given a beautiful brand new renovated bungalow witch included a kitchen. The private beach was just around the corner and I just loved it especially that I was only here for the night. The beach is beautiful with all the shells and of course the magic sun set. I very much liked the warm welcome by the staff and the smiles. I have been in numberless hotels all over US and this is one of my favourite places.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank Micaela H
Port Charlotte, Florida, United States
Reviewed August 19, 2012

WE were here 4 years ago the same time of year. Compared to the last time this place has vastly improved. I made my reservations with Ken and he was awesome. We actually stayed in the same room. I couldn't believe the change.. We can't wait to go back. Completely remodeled, very clean. Efficiency and we didn't have to bring anything with us. New flat screen tv's..
Only drawback and i could live with it was the bed.. Springs in my back.. But they said they were closing down in September to finish remodeling.. I can't wait to go back next year. !00% Awesome!!

Room Tip: Efficiencies are closer to the water of the Gulf.. Wonderful people.. Ask for either Jodie or Ken..
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank dmb2462
elyria
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I have been spending the winter months at Weston's WannaBInn for 10 years, and have always enjoyed my stay. In 2010 new owners took over, and they are doing a great job of upgrading the facilities, and making this an even better place to stay. I have been pleased with the new management team and the way people are treated, as well as the good work and service being provided. To me, this a great place to spend my winters, and I look forward to the WannaBInn for many more years to come. A big Thank You to the new ownership and management team.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ElyriaJack
Also consider these accommodations in or near Englewood
Inn at the Beach
#4 of 10 in Englewood
Englewood Lighthouse Resort
Englewood Lighthouse Resort
#6 of 13 in Englewood

Been to Weston's WannaB Inn? Share your experiences!