“Restaurant on the River”

Stumpknockers Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 53 Restaurants in Dunnellon
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 25, 2014

This is one of those restaurants that you could easily drive by unless you knew a little about it. Frequented by locals, many either stop in out of curiosity or have heard about it from a reliable source. I have passed it many times and this time my wife and I decided to tried it following our lazy river cruise. Their dock is next to the restaurant. The menu catered to all with varying tastes, from burgers to fried gator. A real southern meat and seafood dining experience (this is not a BBQ restaurant). You can sit outdoors and admire the river or sit indoors if you prefer an air conditioned setting. The staff were very pleasant and willing to offer suggestions if you have trouble selecting from the menu. They do have select items that are not on the menu, but all you have to do is ask. They will let you know as well. The food was plentiful, well prepared, delicious and reasonably priced, This restaurant was a pleasant dining surprise. We would certainly go back again.

Reviewed May 9, 2014

We were a party of six and made reservations in advance to eat dinner on a Wednesday. Arrived at the scheduled time and were seated immediately. Had a very cordial waitress (Alicia) who took our drink orders first. Drinks arrived on time as did our food. If you are ordering all you can eat catfish, you might want to order your second helping immediately upon receiving your initial order. We had 2 all you can eat people who had to wait extremely long to get their second plate of catfish. That was the only downer of the night. Atmosphere was wonderful, food was great and waitress was good. We ate inside but you can also eat outside with a wonderful view. All in all I would recommend at least once if you are coming through Ocala.

1  Thank Grandmafields
Reviewed April 28, 2014

I have been wanting to return to Stumpknockers for some time. Finally got a chance to go and boy was I disappointed. I knew there would be a crowd, even on a week day. I was busy but just a few minutes wait. Got a table, ordered a beverage. The couple who came in after us was seated pretty quickly. We ordered our dinners, fried catfish and fried oysters. We sat for a while about 15 min. and the tables around us were served. Even the table that came in after us was served about 10 min after that. About ten min. later I asked the server where our food was and that the table that came in after us had been served. She said she would check. About 10 min. more she finally came over and said they were short staffed. 10 more minutes and she said our food was in the fryer...Oh no, I told her that was not satisfactory and I wanted to talk to the manager. A bit more time and our food came out...no manager. I told my husband, well lets just eat. I started on my oysters and didn't taste quite right, mushy. I cut into another and the batter was uncooked; dripping out. Called the server over again and told her we were leaving. Said she would get the manager. Came back with a ticket and told us to just pay for the drinks. I didn't even finish mine. Paid and asked for manager, never did see one. I won't bother to go back. Crystal River has great restaurants as does Dunnellon.

3  Thank beachbaby1950
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Stumpknockers has become a mainstay for us. We stop there monthly and whenever we have guests, Everyone enjoys both their food and love sitting on the deck when weather permits! It does get a little loud if sitting indoors.. We brought guests there recently for their fried catfish. We sat on the deck and everyone loved it! Both prices and service are good..

One of our group ordered the "All you can eat" catfish. The waitress politely recommend ordering just the standard order stating she would change the order to the "all you can eat" if he wanted more.. There was no need! I thought that was very nice touch...

Reviewed April 20, 2014

Well, sorry to say, after many visits to this unique restaurant, I have to give a negative report this time. I had to make a visit to the restroom on this trip, and I was horrified!
I know the building is old, but that is NO excuse for cleanliness!!! The toilet lid, where it connects to the toilet, under the tank, was absolutely gross. Dirt, pubic hairs, and dried urine splash. It was there for a long time. Looked like it hadn't been cleaned for months. I almost barfed! How could such a class restaurant overlook the ladies restroom so badly??? I was done eating, good thing, as I could not have eaten if I saw this before I ate.

2  Thank Gerri K