All reviews bon appetit second floor outdoor bar private balcony vaulted ceilings marina view on site restaurant downtown dunedin tile floors walking distance plantation shutters wet bar front door free breakfast king room rooms are large clearwater beach
Reviewed August 15, 2013

My friends will be surprised I liked this place so much, but it reminded me of the place where we stayed in Honolulu on our honeymoon when I was younger and couldn’t afford a Marriott. The Hawaianna. One of the last traditional 2-3 story hotels in Honolulu (there were only two near Fort DeRussey). Mine has been torn down and replaced by a Hard Rock resort.

But back to Dunedin. Older building nicely refurbished. New furniture, but with old walls and fixtures. Two stories with the sound on one side and a parking lot/marina on the other. Neither floor has balconies on the water side. First floor had a small patio outside the room, but you sat next to a parking lot. Strange enough, some people sat on the patio looking at parked cars. Second floor had balconies where you would have a view of the Marina over the parked cars. I was on the second floor with a view of the pool and marina (over the cars, of course).

Medium size pool where there was always a place for you. Only had two umbrellas, so shade was at a premium. Several of the local water birds used it as a drinking station, but you got used to them. Water was rather warm, but it was August so think that was unintentional.

Large flat screen TV with lots of channels.

Staff were very nice and helpful.

There was a restaurant associated with the hotel. Only had breakfast there. Hotel sold a voucher for $7.50 for the typical mixed breakfast (meat, eggs, potatoes/grits, bread, coffee and juice). There was another place a few blocks away on Broadway called Broadway Café that was a good alternative. Nice family feel there. More creative and not as predictable as the BW restaurant.

Bathroom was a bit dated as well as the door hardware, but it was part of the charm of the place. However, the toilet was snugly placed in a recess in the bathroom making it impossible to “maneuver”. Elbows had to be tightly tucked in at your sides.

So a few things I didn’t like. Most second floor rooms had an inverted “V” ceiling with the upper portion of the wall in glass. Looked impossible to arrange a curtain there. So a great deal of light came through that window. Not just daylight, but the outside hotel lights at night. If you want a dark place to sleep, you are out of luck on the second floor. However, I had some eye-cover masks that I wore and it solved the problem. But, if I didn’t have those, I would have gotten little sleep.

Small mini-bar filled with items for sale. Would have rather had an empty fridge (especially since this was a small one) to fill with items from the Publix.

No room safe, but some were available at reception.

Hotel shampoo was a shampoo/conditioner combo. Would have rather had shampoo by itself.
Air conditioner seemed to be on some sort of sensor system and would turn off. You had to constantly touch the thermostat screen during the day. Seemed to stay on at night.

I would stay there again and would go with the second floor despite the lack of curtains. People were nice and it was a nice distraction to walk around the marina and the hotel pier. Also, there was a cheap and cheerful bar for the marina with a nice deck. Easy walking distance to downtown Dunedin.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Mr G
BWYachtHarborInn, Manager at Best Western Plus Yacht Harbor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful feedback. Now that your hotel is torn down you can come stay with us every year to celebrate your wedding anniversary. We are glad you liked your room and enjoyed the breakfast.

Regards
Aparna Pawar

Reviewed August 15, 2013

My husband and I so enjoyed our visits to Dunedin, Fl. and staying here that we are heading down for another vacation. Hotel is in the perfect location between Clearwater & Tampa, beautiful, spacious room. Nice pool, great staff...no complaints. Fabulous vacation spot and place to stay!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Martha R
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The staff was friendly and courteous. The room was spacious clean, and modern. The hotel is directly situated on the water with the upper rooms overlooking the parking lot and marina and the lower level overlooking the bay. The only negatives were the toilet area is very small, and the lights shine in at night in the rooms upstairs due to the arched windows. Other than that the place is great, the pool is clean, and considering the rate for most hotels in the area, the place is a great bargain,

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Penny M
Reviewed August 15, 2013

My poor rating of this hotel stems from how management handled the complaint about 2 Major issues during our 1 night stay. Both the AC & our fridge completely quit working! At checkout the clerk was unable to compensate us in any way and I was given the managers name & number. That is when the biggest disappointment began. She seemed aggravated about hearing my complaint... told me that maintenance checked the fridge & it was ok. I felt like I was being called a liar! Long story short... I felt that perhaps we might receive a complimentary night to replace our Very Uncomfortable night & shortened stay. That was not allowed. Instead I was offered a few points on my Best Western account. VERY DISSAPOINTED!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments; we have reviewed your feedback. We would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced on our property. We truly value your business and acknowledge the fact that you are a best western rewards member. Management decided to award you points so you could use them towards your next stay.

Regards,
Aparna Pawar

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Beautiful hotel, neat, clean, top notch. Nice pretty city, Howard Park is a great day trip, enjoyed the beach there, have to pay for parking tho, but that's the norm here in Fl. Pretty city, nice walk paths, piers, great resturants. Would not go back to "Olde Bay Cafe and fish market" tho that was reccomended by the hotel. It is VERY priciy, sides were nothing to speak of and no free refills on sodas, have to purchase individual cans and charged $2.00 a piece for each can.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple