“Every restaurant has a bad night”

The Black Pearl Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 171 Restaurants in Dunedin
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: At the Black Pearl Restaurant, creating a one of a kind dining experience is our goal, every dish from the warm ciabatta bread to the homemade vanilla bean ice cream is made in house, and to order especially for you. We believe life is too short to eat bad food.
Palm Harbor, Florida
“Every restaurant has a bad night”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

My wife and I just came from the Black Pearl in Dunedin, Fl. March 2, 2014. We were celebrating out 52nd, anniversary and figured this would be a nice place. My wife had the Crab Imperial and said it was excellent. I had the New Zealand Rack of Lamb as recommended. I've had many Rack of Lamb and this was the worst. It was to be medium rare, but it was mostly rare or raw. I memtioned this to the waiter, but he said maybe its just that first one. That was not the case and he never returned to find out how the rest of it was. The rest was no better. It was very tough, chewy, and mostly raw. The fact that nothing was done was management was very disappointing. Needless to say, I don't believe I was be returning to the Black Pearl any time soon.

Ernie

• Visited March 2014
3 Thank Ernest P
zzrock45, Owner at The Black Pearl Restaurant, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Ernie,

My apologies for not being there to assure that you were satisfied with your Dinner. However.
All of our servers , and Chefs are there for your dining pleasure. Though we do not have to replace
dinners very often , it does happen once in a while. At any time anyone is unhappy with anything
that is served , we are always happy to replace it , or to delete it from their check. If for any reason you were charged for your meal , then We will be very happy to refund that amount.

Hopefully we will have the opportunity to serve you in the near future;
Sincerely
Rene - The Black Pearl

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Big city ambiance in a small town.”
Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

Friends of ours said we had to eat here so they made reservations and off we went. This restaurant lived up to all their hype. Great food, great service, wonderful wine list. Mainly French continental food done perfectly. And main street Dunedin is very nice for an after dinner stroll. If you want a perfect dining experience in a small town this is the place.

2 Thank BJ G
London, England, United Kingdom
“Unassuming front hides fine dining”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

This small restaurant serves elegant food in classy surroundings. We had a very enthusiastic waiter everything was amazing and Geoff's favourite. But he is probably right as the food we had was hot and tasty and beautifully presented all be it our table was tiny and our wine had to sit at another table.

They seemed to have no record of our booking but luckily they were quiet. We had tried to get a table previously so a booking is definitely necessary. A little over the top but wonderful food and fun.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Jacqy J
Oldsmar, Florida
“Best meal in a long time”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

My girlfriend and I ate here the Saturday after Valentine's Day.

It was nothing short of spectacular. You HAVE to have a reservation to get in, and it is a place you need to wear slacks and a button up or a dress. Make your reservation a week or two in advance, as there are only a few tables inside. Also, expect to spend $30-50 a plate. Entree's come with salad (poppy seed dressing with mixed greens and pine nuts). Wine is easily $40+ a bottle, although my girlfriend is 20 so we didn't have any. Also we spent 3 hours enjoying our meal. We were not rushed.

FOOD:
It started with chibatta rolls cut up into small pieces, with a garlic and herb oil to dip it in. Very delicious.

We ordered off the weekly menu, pork belly over blueberry grits (3 medallions) which were wonderful and melted in my mouth. The weekly items change depending on what is fresh and local I assume, and I notice that the weekly items are different on the website from last week, so they do update it.

Our salads came after this. All tableware was taken and replaced with fresh utensils as needed (as it should be at a restaurant of this class).

I ordered off the weekly menu, a steak with home made mac and cheese, cheese hush puppies, asparagus and a sauce on the side. It was wonderful, but perhaps a little too much on the cheese flavor. My girlfriend ordered the cedar planked salmon which was wonderful and had a wonderful smokey flavor. Hers came over very well seasoned and moist rice with asparagus and a horseradish sauce. Everything had a wonderful artful presentation, which I expect from a restaurant of this caliber.

There are two deserts that need to be put in with your entree if you want them, so we ended up doing that. We split a sort've chocolate lava cake with home made vanilla ice cream. Also we ordered a latte and my girlfriend had a decaf cappuccino (hard to do if someone doesn't know how to use an espresso machine properly, doesn't have a bean grinder, or doesn't keep espresso decaf grind).

All in all our meal was $116, plus I left a 25% tip. The servers are all very friendly and proper. The waiter even set my girlfriend's napkin on her lap for her which is something I haven't seen in this area very often (I want my lady treated right!)

Way better than my experience at Bern's Steakhouse in Tampa (where they threw the steak on the plate and had no presentation at all. Also the steak there was terrible.)

Very great place for a date. Gay friendly. Also noticed that they were very open and gender neutral about who got the check. (Any women's studies majors, gender queer, or feminists will appreciate that the 'man' does not always get the check.)

We left after having a slow relaxing meal (which is good, you need the time to digest all the food!)

I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a world class dining experience, foodie, or looking for a date restaurant.

5/5 on cleanliness
5/5 quality/taste of food
5/5 service
5/5 atmosphere

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank FoodieDiana
Orrville, Ohio
“A downtown treasure in Dunedin”
Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

This was a lovely find in downtown Dunedin in an unassuming location. We shared the lump crab bisque and the crab was the forward flavor not the cream. The wait staff were attentive and made excellent wine recommendation. My husband ordered the rack of lamb and the waiter suggested that the chef offered a pecan crust option which wasn't on the menu. It was wonderful and my asiago crusted sablefish was perfect cooked over a bed of potato hash and a side of leek timbale. Everything was wonderful! And the "black pearls" that came with the bill were a perfect finish.

Visited February 2014