“Unassuming front hides fine dining” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Black Pearl Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 168 Restaurants in Dunedin
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: At the Black Pearl Restaurant, creating a one of a kind dining experience is our goal, every dish from the warm ciabatta bread to the homemade vanilla bean ice cream is made in house, and to order especially for you. We believe life is too short to eat bad food.
London, England, United Kingdom
“Unassuming front hides fine dining”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

This small restaurant serves elegant food in classy surroundings. We had a very enthusiastic waiter everything was amazing and Geoff's favourite. But he is probably right as the food we had was hot and tasty and beautifully presented all be it our table was tiny and our wine had to sit at another table.

They seemed to have no record of our booking but luckily they were quiet. We had tried to get a table previously so a booking is definitely necessary. A little over the top but wonderful food and fun.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jacqy J

Oldsmar, Florida
“Best meal in a long time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

My girlfriend and I ate here the Saturday after Valentine's Day.

It was nothing short of spectacular. You HAVE to have a reservation to get in, and it is a place you need to wear slacks and a button up or a dress. Make your reservation a week or two in advance, as there are only a few tables inside. Also, expect to spend $30-50 a plate. Entree's come with salad (poppy seed dressing with mixed greens and pine nuts). Wine is easily $40+ a bottle, although my girlfriend is 20 so we didn't have any. Also we spent 3 hours enjoying our meal. We were not rushed.

FOOD:
It started with chibatta rolls cut up into small pieces, with a garlic and herb oil to dip it in. Very delicious.

We ordered off the weekly menu, pork belly over blueberry grits (3 medallions) which were wonderful and melted in my mouth. The weekly items change depending on what is fresh and local I assume, and I notice that the weekly items are different on the website from last week, so they do update it.

Our salads came after this. All tableware was taken and replaced with fresh utensils as needed (as it should be at a restaurant of this class).

I ordered off the weekly menu, a steak with home made mac and cheese, cheese hush puppies, asparagus and a sauce on the side. It was wonderful, but perhaps a little too much on the cheese flavor. My girlfriend ordered the cedar planked salmon which was wonderful and had a wonderful smokey flavor. Hers came over very well seasoned and moist rice with asparagus and a horseradish sauce. Everything had a wonderful artful presentation, which I expect from a restaurant of this caliber.

There are two deserts that need to be put in with your entree if you want them, so we ended up doing that. We split a sort've chocolate lava cake with home made vanilla ice cream. Also we ordered a latte and my girlfriend had a decaf cappuccino (hard to do if someone doesn't know how to use an espresso machine properly, doesn't have a bean grinder, or doesn't keep espresso decaf grind).

All in all our meal was $116, plus I left a 25% tip. The servers are all very friendly and proper. The waiter even set my girlfriend's napkin on her lap for her which is something I haven't seen in this area very often (I want my lady treated right!)

Way better than my experience at Bern's Steakhouse in Tampa (where they threw the steak on the plate and had no presentation at all. Also the steak there was terrible.)

Very great place for a date. Gay friendly. Also noticed that they were very open and gender neutral about who got the check. (Any women's studies majors, gender queer, or feminists will appreciate that the 'man' does not always get the check.)

We left after having a slow relaxing meal (which is good, you need the time to digest all the food!)

I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a world class dining experience, foodie, or looking for a date restaurant.

5/5 on cleanliness
5/5 quality/taste of food
5/5 service
5/5 atmosphere

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank FoodieDiana
Orrville, Ohio
“A downtown treasure in Dunedin”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

This was a lovely find in downtown Dunedin in an unassuming location. We shared the lump crab bisque and the crab was the forward flavor not the cream. The wait staff were attentive and made excellent wine recommendation. My husband ordered the rack of lamb and the waiter suggested that the chef offered a pecan crust option which wasn't on the menu. It was wonderful and my asiago crusted sablefish was perfect cooked over a bed of potato hash and a side of leek timbale. Everything was wonderful! And the "black pearls" that came with the bill were a perfect finish.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank linda r
“Elegance at its best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

If you live in the Tampa Bay area, don't miss this gem. Upscale dining with an artistic flair and unmatched flavor. Romantic setting, reasonable price and fantastic food. Just try it and be prepared for one of the best meals ever.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank rstwitty
Tampa, Fl
“Very special restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

We called ahead, that is a must as this is a small restaurant, and all the food is of the utmost quality. There were 7 in our party, celebrating a birthday, and we were greeted and shown to our table immediately. The service was impeccable, but you must remember, the food is specially cooked, so you won't get your food brought out in a few minutes.
Our waiter Ron went over all the specialties on the menu, explained their sauces etc, and answered any questions we might have. He also went over the dessert menu as there were several that would have to be ordered during our dining, as they were made to order.
I ordered Veal Paillards which was a veal dish with vanilla bean sauce with shiitake and crimini mushrooms...and my first taste was unbelievable...I could not believe the unbelievable flavor. Several friends had New Zealand Rack of Lamb..cooked to order which came as a beautiful presentation. My husband had one of the specialties, and of course I had to taste that too, it had filet cubes, sausage, corn bread and other items, and that too was too fantastic to try to describe.
Our desserts were another story, and the perfect finish to such a perfect meal. We ordered a Tarte Tatin, which was an apple tart that we added their homemade vanilla ice cream to finish it off.
Black pearl candies were served at the completion of the meal. Unbelievable dining experience. This is not eating out, it is a culinary experience!
Small quaint restaurant, no bar service, just wines.

• Visited January 2014