“Really Good Food!!”

Ranked #13 of 177 Restaurants in Dunedin
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: At the Black Pearl Restaurant, creating a one of a kind dining experience is our goal, every dish from the warm ciabatta bread to the homemade vanilla bean ice cream is made in house, and to order especially for you. We believe life is too short to eat bad food.
Reviewed February 27, 2008

Went to the Black Pearl restaurant in May 2006 for my father's brithday and we had such an amazing meal!

We all ordered something different and each and every meal was just delicious (Yes I tasted everyones!). We even took my son (who was 2 years old at the time) and he enjoyed his meal too - the waiting staff were brilliant with him and the evening could not have been better.

We sat at the booth by the window which is the best table in the restaurant.

This is one of the best restaurants at which I have eaten (being from London and having eaten at The Ivy, Gordon Ramsey at Claridges, The Fat Duck at Bray etc I feel that I can pick a good restaurant! ). I heartily recommend this to anyone who enjoys good food.

I should add that I was prompted to write this review when I was making a reservation at this restaurant for my mother's birthday. I was curious as to whether or not this restaurant was mentioned in Trip Advisor (can't book a trip without it!).

You know a good restaurant when you realise you have been trying to book accomodation close to where it is located!!

4  Thank Keima

Reviewed January 8, 2008

Being from the Chicago area, I'm accustomed to nice
restaurants. I was in town visiting my parents over
the Christmas holidays. They took me to their favorite
restaurant , The Black Pearl in Dunedin.
Who would have thought ? In that little town ?
WOW - Great place , great food , Great service
Can't wait to go back.

T.G. - Chi-Town

1  Thank GibbLtd
Reviewed July 8, 2007

This small restaurant was more than we could have ever expected. Beautifull interior wonderfull food. The chef actually came to the table to explained the menu and the feature dish we wanted to order. This place will surely be anyones favorite. The chef was very knowledgable about the different styles of the beautifull cuisine they serve. Allthough I must say he looks out of place. He is a giant looking larger than the dining area itself.

1  Thank malachim331
Reviewed February 15, 2007

OK, I admit it was Valentine's day, a day when if you are in search of a decent meal you are truly best advised to prepare it for yourself. But hey, when your man wants to take you out to eat to celebrate your love for each other you go.

Now whatever the occasion the restaurant should be able to serve those seated at its tables. That is their business. I've always been puzzled by the assembly line Valentines or New Years menus, why can't we just order off the regular menu and get our meal cooked to order instead of catering style? Why are these days such a profit maker for the restaurants and such a disappoinment for the diners? And while I'm at it . let me remind you that at this establishment the entrees run from $40-$60. (In Dunedin, not on Park Avenue guys, Dunedin!) When you charge those kind of prices you need to deliver extraordinary quality and service.

Service...well, I thought the nasty femme waiter bit was passe but I guess our waiter still thought it was 1990something. And his tunnel vision, well that had been perfected to an art. Getting his attention was a stretch in this tiny little retaurant.

Food...OK, I'll say it , the fish was dry either from overcooking or being prepared way to far ahead and improperly stored. The duck breast was fatty and so rubbery that chewing it was impossible, truly.

Well and truly disappointing. Maybe we should have tried another day to try this place, but that's too easy an excuse. Especially on these special days the food should be extraordinary instead of bad and not worth it at fraction of the price.

6  Thank NativeNYCer
Reviewed February 14, 2007

The food might be special, but we will never know. Having heard so many good things about this restaurant, I made our Valentine’s Day reservations many weeks in advance. When we arrived the maitre de asked if we had a reservation. I said that we did and told him my name. He turned away, saying he had some things to do and he would be back. We waited as he stopped at the tables of other dinner guests. When he returned, he checked the reservation book and could not find our reservation (this has never happened to me before). Rather than offer to correct the situation, the maitre de proceeded to explain how their reservation process works. I said that I clearly remembered speaking to a woman when I made the reservation and she had told me that we would have a center table, because there were no more booths available. Unfazed, the maitre de made no offer of accommodation. When my wife pointedly asked him if planned to provide us with a table or not, he finally said he might be able to fit us in somewhere. We said no thanks and left. If you like indifference and a splash of arrogance with your dinning experience, this is the place for you.

10  Thank DDGCleartwater