“Amazing!”

Ranked #11 of 173 Restaurants in Dunedin
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: At the Black Pearl Restaurant, creating a one of a kind dining experience is our goal, every dish from the warm ciabatta bread to the homemade vanilla bean ice cream is made in house, and to order especially for you. We believe life is too short to eat bad food.
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing!”
Reviewed January 8, 2008

Being from the Chicago area, I'm accustomed to nice
restaurants. I was in town visiting my parents over
the Christmas holidays. They took me to their favorite
restaurant , The Black Pearl in Dunedin.
Who would have thought ? In that little town ?
WOW - Great place , great food , Great service
Can't wait to go back.

T.G. - Chi-Town

1 Thank GibbLtd

florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The secret in Dunedin”
Reviewed July 8, 2007

This small restaurant was more than we could have ever expected. Beautifull interior wonderfull food. The chef actually came to the table to explained the menu and the feature dish we wanted to order. This place will surely be anyones favorite. The chef was very knowledgable about the different styles of the beautifull cuisine they serve. Allthough I must say he looks out of place. He is a giant looking larger than the dining area itself.

1 Thank malachim331
Clearwater, Fl
“We waited forever to try this place,...”
Reviewed February 15, 2007

OK, I admit it was Valentine's day, a day when if you are in search of a decent meal you are truly best advised to prepare it for yourself. But hey, when your man wants to take you out to eat to celebrate your love for each other you go.

Now whatever the occasion the restaurant should be able to serve those seated at its tables. That is their business. I've always been puzzled by the assembly line Valentines or New Years menus, why can't we just order off the regular menu and get our meal cooked to order instead of catering style? Why are these days such a profit maker for the restaurants and such a disappoinment for the diners? And while I'm at it . let me remind you that at this establishment the entrees run from $40-$60. (In Dunedin, not on Park Avenue guys, Dunedin!) When you charge those kind of prices you need to deliver extraordinary quality and service.

Service...well, I thought the nasty femme waiter bit was passe but I guess our waiter still thought it was 1990something. And his tunnel vision, well that had been perfected to an art. Getting his attention was a stretch in this tiny little retaurant.

Food...OK, I'll say it , the fish was dry either from overcooking or being prepared way to far ahead and improperly stored. The duck breast was fatty and so rubbery that chewing it was impossible, truly.

Well and truly disappointing. Maybe we should have tried another day to try this place, but that's too easy an excuse. Especially on these special days the food should be extraordinary instead of bad and not worth it at fraction of the price.

7 Thank NativeNYCer
Cleartwater
“Never going back”
Reviewed February 14, 2007

The food might be special, but we will never know. Having heard so many good things about this restaurant, I made our Valentine’s Day reservations many weeks in advance. When we arrived the maitre de asked if we had a reservation. I said that we did and told him my name. He turned away, saying he had some things to do and he would be back. We waited as he stopped at the tables of other dinner guests. When he returned, he checked the reservation book and could not find our reservation (this has never happened to me before). Rather than offer to correct the situation, the maitre de proceeded to explain how their reservation process works. I said that I clearly remembered speaking to a woman when I made the reservation and she had told me that we would have a center table, because there were no more booths available. Unfazed, the maitre de made no offer of accommodation. When my wife pointedly asked him if planned to provide us with a table or not, he finally said he might be able to fit us in somewhere. We said no thanks and left. If you like indifference and a splash of arrogance with your dinning experience, this is the place for you.

10 Thank DDGCleartwater
Phoenix, Arizona
“Absolutely wonderful”
Reviewed October 24, 2006

When my boyfriend and I traveled to Tampa for my birthday last year, we had the most delicious and romantic dinner. The Black Pearl, in Dunedin was amazing. Our waiter, an elderly gentleman, was very knowledgable about the wine list and found us the most terrific bottle. I had the duck, which was divine and for dessert, the Falling Hot Chocolate Cake (but rememeber to order it in advance). Would absolutely return!

3 Thank IamMarissa03